Re: [lactivism] FW: [LACTNET] Petition to ban used "personal use" breast pump...

  • Blondimom728@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2007
      It may be that the technology that enables a hospital grade pump to be a multi -user is hugely more expensive than a single user.  So while it is entirely possible that pump companies can make all of their pumps multi-user pumps then the price of the store bought pumps would go through the roof.  Who wants to be the initial mom that spends hundreds of dollars more on a pump so that in the future she can loan it out? In my job I work with reps from the breast pump companies and have gotten some very good tutorials on the mechanisms inside the breast pumps and I have a good understanding of why the single user pumps should never be used by others.  I would never recommend this practice to a new mom, even if it means she has to pay her own money for a pump.
      -Heather

    • Walter Chappel
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2007
        I am sorry, but this is an elitist viewpoint that is unworkable in light
        of the financial situations of the majority of American mothers. Until
        this country makes pumps part of the package of insured maternity care
        or brings
        the costs of real pumps down to a manageable level, women will continue
        to access used pumps. I myself just received a Pump N Style that had
        been used for only two months from a friend. I am buying the new
        hose/bottle packet and will be using it. In my work as a childbirth
        educator I have worked with many women for whom getting a real quality
        pump and being able to work and continue to provide breastmilk depended
        on borrowing or purchasing cheaply a quality pump. I too question the
        motives of someone promoting this petition as a solution instead of
        lobbying pump manufacturers to make quality pumps affordably or
        insurance companies to cover pumps with maybe a small monthly copay.

        Lorrie