Re: [lactivism] FW: [LACTNET] Petition to ban used "personal use" breast pumps on eBay

  • cantaloupekitty@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007

      If the companies really cared about your interests, they would all design fully sterilizing pumps.  And since some do, is the recommedation to only ban certain pumps?  And how about rental pumps?

      And if milk is indeed trapped in the mechanism, then why are we not seeing bacterial contamination effects on babies drinking milk from single use pumps as well?

      And where are the statistics of babies and children harmed by diseases from used pumps?

      There are just too many questions and I hope everyone will consider these before signing such a petition that only hurts breastfeeding mothers and working mothers.

      There are other ways to go about addressing this problem.

      Lori
      On Dec 4, 2007 11:44 AM, Cindy Curtis <CindyCurtis@...> wrote:

      Your opinion is heard and respected, but there may be others on the list that would like to support this cause, it take 60 seconds to sign the petition, will it do any good? Who knows, but please remember to respect each other's opinions on the list, thanks Cindy

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
        Disclaimer: I help the Nursing Mothers Counsel of Oregon sell new pumps to moms and receive a small commission for my efforts. Nevertheless,, I completely agree with Lori and don't believe she's been disrespectful at all in stating her opinion--disagreement doesn't mean disrespect. As Lori pointed out, where are the facts about babies being harmed by used breastpumps? Why can't pump users effectively sterilize their machines? I have lent my Pump In Style out to a mom who couldn't afford a pump and know many others who have done the same--one friend has been passing hers around to moms in need for over five years. Where's the study that shows babies being harmed by this practice?

        Who started this petition? Why?

        I'd rather sign a petition urging pump makers to manufacture pumps that moms can fully sterilize at home.

        Chris

        On Dec 4, 2007 11:44 AM, Cindy Curtis <CindyCurtis@...> wrote:

        Your opinion is heard and respected, but there may be others on the list that would like to support this cause, it take 60 seconds to sign the petition, will it do any good? Who knows, but please remember to respect each other's opinions on the list, thanks Cindy

      • Michelle Hottya
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
          I agree with Lori and don't find her voicing her opinion to be inappropriate or disrespectful.  We need this kind of discourse to clarify and understand the various sides of the issues.

          When I saw the notice of the petition, it immediately made me question who created this--hopefully no one who is in the position to make a profit from such a ban!  Unfortunately, in our so-called "free market" we have too many corporations making money off "the little guy" by actually restricting trade and creating inflated prices in the marketplace, rather than creating the competition that would bring the prices of these machines down to a more affordable level for more consumers.

          I am glad Lori spoke up to question the motivating factors of the petition.  We may all have the same end goal--promoting breastfeeding--but to further limit the breastpumps available to women under the guise of "safety concerns" seems very misleading to me and yes, counter-productive.  If we want to allow more women to have access to pumps, maybe in addition to the other suggestions, we should have qualified repair technicians in our communities who can clean, refurbish and rehab used pumps so they can be safely and effectively re-used.

          There is a huge middle market that is being left out of the pump business--women who don't qualify for a free pump from WIC but don't make enough money to afford a brand-new $300 breastpump.  When our country wakes up to the issues that the majority of working mothers face, then we may actually figure out a way to help them.  In my mind, this petition won't, and I won't be signing it.

          Michelle H.
        • Chandra Ruiz
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
            Michelle you said it perfectly! ITA.

            Chandra

            --
            Chandra
            All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
              I don't very often voice my opinion but I feel the need to add my 2 cents to this debate.  I am one of those women who falls into the category of not being able to buy a pump for $300 and not having insurance that will pay for one.  I think the better petitions would be to insurance companies to encourage them to provide some kind of reimbursement for breast pumps.  I bought a used PIS on ebay when I was pregnant with my daughter.  I bought all new attachments for it and I felt perfectly fine using it.  I knew I would be going back to work at 6 weeks and had to be off at 34 weeks for pre-term labor.  If I had to buy a $300 breast pump at the time I probably would have weaned her at 6 weeks.  I pumped for her at work until 13 months and she never had a drop of formula.  Now knowing what I know about breastfeeding if I had to spend $300 I would move heaven and earth to get one.  At that time not knowing what to expect it was easier for me to invest less and see what happened.

              I think as a happy medium if someone is posting a used pump they should be required to put a disclaimer with it that states the CDC's stance on used pumps. Also when you donate breastmilk you are required to show proof of negative testing.  It is easy enough to get a copy of that from your doctor so maybe require them to show that to the purchaser also.  I'm sorry this got long but I felt the need to add my opinion.  Thanks.

              Amy

              On Dec 4, 2007 6:09 PM, Chandra Ruiz <lactivistmama@...> wrote:

[...]

              Birth Doula
              www.blessedarrivals.com
            • Norma Ritter
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007

                I would like to note a concern about buying used pumps that I do not think has yet been mentioned.

                Like all appliances and gadgets, breast pumps have a limited lifetime. For example, the Medela PIS only carries a 12 month warranty from the manufacturer because that is the expected lifetime of the motor, even though some do last longer.
                When a mother buys a used pump, she usually has no idea how often it was used.  Most mothers simply do not realise how quickly pumps can wear out. If she is not able to get much milk when she uses it, she is more likely to blame herself than the machine. Unfortunately, she is also likely to stop pumping entirely and switch to formula, at least for those times when she cannot be there to nurse her baby. This is an important point that needs to be taken into consideration.

                For the record, I have no financial or other interest in any company that makes or distributes pumps or other breastfeeding aids.

                Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC

              • BekMorris
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
                  I think the point here (and someone else mentioned it on Lactnet) is
                  that this petition is all about NOT respecting other's opinions and
                  wishes. Basically you are demanding that mothers NOT be ALLOWED to
                  make a decision/choice about buying/selling used pumps. I may not
                  think it is a good idea, but I don't think it is my place to mandate
                  that nobody be allowed to do so under any circumstances. How about
                  just asking ebay/craigslist to post a little explanation of why it
                  isn't recommended and then let people educate themselves and make
                  their own decisions. This smacks of big brother in a way that makes me
                  very uncomfortable, are you also supportive of barring women from
                  making a decision to have a homebirth with a midwife who isn't a cnm?
                  Or unassisted?
                  --Rebekah