Universal Studios Florida apologies to breastfeeding mom

  • Janice Reynolds
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007

      [sounds like these businesses are smartening up – sort of.  At least they admitted they were wrong, and apologized, but when will these incidents stop happening in the first place?

      Florida has a clear law that protects breastfeeding in public.

      Janice Reynolds]

      Florida theme park apologizes to N.L. woman over breastfeeding fuss

      http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2007/11/02/breastfeeding-orlando.html

      A Florida theme park is apologizing to a St. John's woman who was told to cover up while she breastfed her daughter or leave the premises.

      Cheryl Cruz said she was shaken by an encounter on Tuesday while she was breastfeeding her 10-month-old child, Kalli, on a bench at the Universal Studios park in Orlando.

      "I'm just feeding her, minding my own business, there's hardly anyone at the resort, [and] suddenly this lady comes over to me and says, 'Listen I want you to cover up, this is a family affair,' " Cruz said Thursday.

      <snip>

      He said the company has apologized to Cruz and that she can expect more.

      "We're going to have the specific team members involved in this incident apologize to her, and we're going to make sure that our team members know how to proceed in these kinds of situations, moving forward," Schroeder said.

      Schroeder said Universal has talked to employees about the issue before.

      He would not say whether Cruz will be compensated.

      [see link for full article and photo]

    • Janice Reynolds
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
        The Florida news media are following up on the story now:

        (see link for full article and TV news video clip)
        http://www.wftv.com/news/14498449/detail.html

        "We were just in the park sitting down and I was breastfeeding Kalli and a
        park employee, Meahgn, came over and said to me I have to cover up or I will
        be escorted out of Universal Studios," Cruz told Eyewitness News.

        Suddenly, her conversation with one employee turned into a confrontation
        with security guards.

        "I said, 'You know what, go ahead, call security and for that matter, call
        your lawyers as well, because these are human rights issues,'" Cruz said.

        "Cheryl Cruz was really caught off guard in the situation. She is from St.
        John's, Newfoundland, Canada. She said, unlike in America, public breast
        feeding there is a common sight.

        From another Florida media outlet;
        (see link for full article and TV news video clip)
        http://www.wesh.com/news/14497600/detail.html

        Partial quote:

        A Canadian breast-feeding expert said she believes what happened to Cruz
        wouldn't have happened in Canada.

        "I think we are a little more relaxed," Lorraine Burrage, co-chairwoman of
        NL Breastfeeding Coalition, said. "We are changing. It's just that we don't
        have a lot of role models of breast-feeding in our society."

        [Janice here again - Just to be clear, these incidents DO happen in Canada,
        although perhaps less frequently. Recently an Ontario mom was asked to
        cover or move in from beside a pool at a YMCA, and she has filed a Human
        Rights Complaint, which is slowly proceeding.]

        Janice Reynolds
        Canada
      • clc_drie
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007
          Can you believe 36% said BF in public should be outlawed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
        • Mari
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2008
            I know I am late, but yes it is unbelievable. It's quite scary, too,
            how people think about breastfeeding.