Applebee's nationwide nurse-in video

  • Chandra Ruiz
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2007
      Watch this it is great! From all over the country. We do make a difference when we stand together and make our voices heard.

      Chandra
      Shirts still here
    • Jennifer Laycock
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
        "We do make a difference when we stand together and make our voices heard."

        I've been buried under work the last week or two, so perhaps someone can update me.

        Did Applebee's change their policies as a result of the nurse-in? I mean I know some regional franchises spoke out in favor of breastfeeding, but as far as I understand, that happened before the nurse-ins as many Applebee's locations decided to welcome the moms and even brought drinks and cookies to them.

        Was there any actual change that occured that are being attributed to the nurse-ins?

        Jennifer Laycock
        The Lactivist Blog
      • Angela White
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
          Jennifer,

          Applebee's corporate changed its policy (it will not ask women to cover up, it will offer to move other guests who would be more comfortable in another area of the restaurant), based on the statement I quoted here:

          http://www.breastfeeding123.com/applebees-nurse-ins-get-positive-responses/

          I didn't see an apology from Thomas and King.

          - Angela

          At 10:09 AM 9/13/07 -0400, you wrote:

          "We do make a difference when we stand together and make our voices heard."

          I've been buried under work the last week or two, so perhaps someone can update me.

          Did Applebee's change their policies as a result of the nurse-in? I mean I know some regional franchises spoke out in favor of breastfeeding, but as far as I understand, that happened before the nurse-ins as many Applebee's locations decided to welcome the moms and even brought drinks and cookies to them.

          Was there any actual change that occured that are being attributed to the nurse-ins?

          Jennifer Laycock
          The Lactivist Blog
          http://thelactivist.blogspot.com
        • Jake Marcus
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
            I haven't seen the whole corporate statement that says it will move customers but the news article Angela cites from says the corporate statement also says mothers are to nurse "in a respectful manner," a requirement violative of most state laws.  Also I don't recall seeing an Applebee's corporate policy that is actually changed by this statement.  The blanket thing was Thomas and King, and not Applebee's corporate.

            Given that most, I think, Applebee's are not owned by Applebee's corporate, this policy to move complaining customers won't actually effect management in most Applebee's, will it?

            Jake Marcus

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
              Jake is right. There is no official corporate policy yet from Apllebee's. They have been contacted again, and asked to revisit their statement on"respectful manner". I think we are waiting(not so patiently mind you) for them to have some time to draft a real policy. I know I emailed them again asking for a real policy. Did everyone send out the 3 MA letter? So far as yesterday at least 200 had been sent.

              From my understanding certain policies are company wide for corporate or franchise locations. We asked forr a policy that covers both kinds of stores.

              Chandra

              --
              Chandra
              All Lactivists need stylin shirts!
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007

                If you are using the 3MA form, read your letter over carefully – there are a number of typos, including the subject line (“Brestfeeding Policy at Applebees Restaurants”).

                Ali Crehan Feeney, CLC

                Quincy, MA

                ------------------

                National Invisible Chronic Illness Week

                September 10-16, 2007

                http://www.restministries.org/invisibleillness/invisibleillnesshome.htm

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
                    Chandra,

                    Would it help to have a policy from another big company to send them?
                    My husband manages a Borders
                    Books and they have a good statement in their employee manual regarding
                    both customers and women who work there and pump. I would be happy to
                    send it to you to send on to them.

                    Lorrie

                  • Chandra Ruiz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
                      Lorrie that would be great. Not only for this situation but for any other companies that need some educating. Thanks!

                      Chandra

                      Chandra Ruiz wrote:

                      > Jake is right. There is no official corporate policy yet from
                      > Apllebee's. They have been contacted again, and asked to revisit their
                      > statement on"respectful manner". I think we are waiting(not so
                      > patiently mind you) for them to have some time to draft a real policy.
                      > I know I emailed them again asking for a real policy. Did everyone
                      > send out the 3 MA letter? So far as yesterday at least 200 had been sent.
                      >
                      > From my understanding certain policies are company wide for corporate
                      > or franchise locations. We asked forr a policy that covers both kinds
                      > of stores.
                      >
                      > Chandra
                      >

                      > On 9/13/07, *Jake Marcus* <mamajake@...
                      > <mailto:mamajake@...>> wrote:
                      >
                      > I haven't seen the whole corporate statement that says it will
                      > move customers but the news article Angela cites from says the
                      > corporate statement also says mothers are to nurse "in a
                      > respectful manner," a requirement violative of most state laws.
                      > Also I don't recall seeing an Applebee's corporate policy that is
                      > actually changed by this statement. The blanket thing was Thomas
                      > and King, and not Applebee's corporate.
                      >
                      > Given that most, I think, Applebee's are not owned by Applebee's
                      > corporate, this policy to move complaining customers won't
                      > actually effect management in most Applebee's, will it?
                      >
                      > Jake Marcus

                    • Janice Reynolds
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007

                        The video is currently #51 on You Tube’s list of Top Favourites for Today

                        #51 - Top Favorites (Today) - News & Politics

                        Keep passing the link around, ladies

                        (BTW, its great – I love it , Amy!  I was wondering what song you would choose – great choice.  And love the Power Puff girls lead in)

                        Janice “in Canada”

                        (Janice Reynolds)

                        Watch this it is great! From all over the country. We do make a difference when we stand together and make our voices heard.

                        Chandra
                        Shirts still here

                      • salem h