Statement of Support for Breastfeeding Mothers

  • ipump_99
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007
      I just signed the Statement of Support for Breastfeeding Mothers, and
      I hope you will too. Why? Well, doctors agree that breastmilk is best
      for infants, but their own licensing board isn't following doctor's
      orders. Sophie Currier recently learned that when it comes to
      supporting breastfeeding, many of our leaders--whether they are in the
      medical establishment (as in Sophie's case), business sector, or
      elsewhere--still don't "walk the talk." You see, Sophie was denied
      breast pumping breaks during her nine hour medical licensing exam.
      She's not alone. Even in this day and age when the medical evidence is
      clear that breastfeeding is best for infants, women are regularly
      denied the time and location to pump.

      JOIN ME IN SUPPORTING THE BREASTFEEDING PROMOTION ACT! Sign the
      Statement of Support for breastfeeding moms everywhere now:
      "Healthcare professionals inform us that breastfeeding is the best
      possible way to ensure that babies thrive. In turn, we must ensure
      that breastfeeding mothers are able to breastfeed, and given the time
      and environment to pump at work or during other professional
      obligations. " Congress and the National Board of Medical Examiners
      (NBME) need to hear that breastfeeding must be supported for all moms,
      and that we support the Breastfeeding Promotion Act which is currently
      before Congress.

      *To sign the Statement of Support for breastfeeding moms, just go to:
      http://www.democrac yinaction. org/dia/organiza tionsORG/ momsrising/
      signUp.jsp? key=2614& t=petition. dwt

      After you sign the Statement of Support, please forward this email to
      friends and family so they can sign on as well! Your voice can make a
      difference: When a subsidiary of Delta Airlines kicked a woman off an
      airplane for breastfeeding, we sent them a petition with more than
      20,000 MomsRising signatures, and shortly afterwards the airline
      apologized and instituted a new training program for their employees.

      STAND WITH SOPHIE, JANEE, AND MOTHERS ACROSS THE NATION! Women like
      Janee McConnell could also use the Breastfeeding Promotion Act. Janee
      worked in a grocery store that had a health consciousness she admired.
      She was such a committed employee that she rose to a management job
      quickly and was called a "rock star" by the other employees. After her
      third child was born, she tried to pump at work but there was no
      private place to go other than a dirty, windowless electrical room.
      When her milk supply dropped she spoke up but store management was
      unsympathetic. She resigned from her management position and
      eventually from the store all together.

      Frankly, we all lose when we don't support mothers--businesses lose
      excellent employees, infants lose important nutrients, and women lose
      needed jobs. No mom should have to choose between keeping her job and
      feeding her baby and protecting her own health.

      SHARE YOUR STORY: Many of us mothers know personally what it's like to
      juggle breastfeeding babies and work. Some of us have also experienced
      the pain of engorgement and the risk of mastitis when feeding or
      pumping doesn't occur every few hours. Stories like this are common.
      You may even have experienced something similar yourself. *Share your
      story on our blog at: http://www.momsrisi ng.org/node/ 573

      All too often women aren't able to breastfeed their babies even though
      the American Academy of Pediatrics tells us it's one of the most
      important things we can do for a child's health. Let's send a strong
      message together that it's time to "walk the talk" for healthy infants
      and mothers.

      *Don't forget to sign the Statement of Support to tell the National
      Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) and Congress that we want
      breastfeeding to be supported for all moms--and to forward this email
      to friends so they can sign on too. To sign on now, go to :
      http://www.democrac yinaction. org/dia/organiza tionsORG/ momsrising/
      signUp.jsp? key=2614& t=petition. dwt

      Thank you!