Breastfeeding Rally Planned

  • EmpoweredBirth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi everyone -

      A Breastfeeding Rally in support of the legislation that has been submitted to senate committees is being organized.  Here is an exerpt from a letter sent out from Senator Williams office.  This is to give you a "heads-up" so that you can begin to plan for the event.  There will be more to come on this in the very near future.
      Thanks ahead of time for your support and committment to breastfeeding across our state and country.

      <<<
      Senator Williams wanted me to reach out to you to see if you thought that it would be possible to orchestrate a rally/ nurse-in at the capitol building in Harrisburg (on a Monday or Tuesday) when the legislature was in session?  We thought it would be wonderful to have a day at the capitol for families to advocate for this issue in May in celebration of Mother's Day.  (Mother's Day is on May 13 and the legislature is not actually in session that week, so it would need to be on Monday May 7 or Tuesday May 8.)

      Sen. Williams has gotten Senator Greenleaf to agree to schedule SB 34, which protects breastfeeding in public, for a vote by the Senate Judiciary Committee in April and she has touched base with the other committee members as well.  The rally could be a great catalyst to get the full Senate to vote on the bill.

      Our biggest concern is that the capitol steps or rotunda are large and so in order to really make a statement you've got to have a large group for an event.

      I appreciate your time and all the assistance you've continually provided on the issue.  I will be sure to update you when I get a meeting date for the Judiciary Committee.  Also, please be on the lookout for individuals who live in Senator Pileggi's district in Delaware Co, since he is the one who will need to schedule a vote by the full Senate.

      You can read a summary of the bills by following this link:

      Lasi Leavy, CD, HCHI, CHt.
      610-451-0786

      ALACE Birth Doula / Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis Instructor
      Founder Mothering & More Birth Network
      State Coordinator Operation Special Delivery, PA, NJ, DE
      www.MotheringandMore.org

      See what's free at AOL.com.