Re: [lactivism] This just popped up on MDC Lactivist board- another daycare discr. Mamajake???

  • JAKE MARCUS
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 19, 2007
      You rang? :)

      And pretty weird you did. I had to go to MDC to see the location of this mom because I got a call last week with exactly this fact pattern except in last week's case the day care had told mom that health dept. regs forbade BMilk in sippys (and the mom is in a different state).  Same argument though - disease transmission through casual contact with BMilk.  In last week's case the mom so feared she would be booted from the day care that she was going to agree and say the stuff in the sippy was now almond milk ;)

      It is unlikely any health dept regs would forbid BMilk in sippys for the logical reason that no disease can be transferred through casual contact with BMilk.  Someone posted the CDC link at MDC.  The CDC clearly states that BMilk does not require universal precautions like other bodily fluids like blood.  This fear of breastmilk is all the more absurd given the free exchange of body fluids among toddlers (spitting, biting, drooling, sneezing, nose picking, BREATHING) which actually does lead to the spread of disease.

      Even the risk that one child drinks another's sippy is misguided in that, while viruses like HIV have been identified as present in breastmilk, it has still not been proven that viruses can be transmitted through drinking pumped milk.  The incredibly small incidence of what is thought to be breastmilk transmitted HIV has been via nursing mother to child during which one can not know whether the virus is traveling in the milk or through blood leaking from a nipple fissure.  I know of no reported case of HIV transmission from pumped milk.  I think we could all come up with many cases when our kids have caught disease from drinking juice out of each others' cups.

      The bottle vs. sippy distinction also mystifies me (same distinction was made in my call last week - day care had no problem giving the kid bottled breastmilk).  I will admit I never actually used a bottle (none of my kids would take pumped milk from a bottle) but don't they leak pretty regularly?

      The legal problem in this and other day care discrimination cases is that, with the exception of Louisiana, no state law forbids discrimination in day care on the basis of breastfeeding.  So any parent who makes a fuss about discriminatory practices risks getting booted out of the day care.

      If this mom wants to do anything, as she clearly does, she has taken the correct first step in confronting management.  After that, she will have to go the activist route.

      I'll keep an eye on the thread and see if she has trouble finding the right medical article.

      Jake Marcus

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 19, 2007
        Not sure if this will help but both the CDC and OSHA says breastmilk is not to be considered a hazardous material.

        http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/faq/index.htm

        http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=20952

        -jeanine