Re: [lactivism] Wisconsin NBA fans encouraged to donate formula

  • Cathleen Theys
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
      how about a call/letter campaign to encourage them expanding the drive to pumps and breastfeeding books like WAB and Bfing made simple???

      -cathy

      On 3/20/07, Janice Reynolds <momsformilk@...> wrote:

      Lady Bucks Announce "Formula FastBreak"

      http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/FormulaFastBreak_070319.html

      March 19, 2007 - Fans attending the Bucks/Pistons game on Sunday, March 25 will have an opportunity to make an impact on the lives of single mothers in the state of Wisconsin. The "Lady Bucks" – a group of Bucks wives, family members and employees – have teamed up with Piggly Wiggly and Hunger Task Force to coordinate the first-ever "Bucks Formula FastBreak", an event designed to raise funds and collect baby/infant formula for Wisconsin mothers in need.

      "This is a cause that all Bucks fans – both men and women – can easily be a part of," said Jan Krystkowiak, wife of Bucks Head Coach Larry Krystkowiak. "When we first spoke about our involvement with this event, the entire Lady Bucks group felt that it was a worthwhile cause and something that could impact the lives of many children and families in Wisconsin."

      The event will take place in Lobbies A, B, C and D at the Bradley Center. Donation barrels and cash collection tables will be located in each of the four lobbies. Fans are encouraged to donate any infant/baby formula product (powder or liquid), or cash that will be used to purchase formula. Donations will be accepted from the time the doors open at 1:30 p.m. through the conclusion of Sunday's game, which begins at 2:30 p.m.

      "We all know how expensive and valuable infant formula is," said Sherrie Tussler, Hunger Task Force executive director. "Thanks to the dedication of the Milwaukee Bucks, Piggly Wiggly, and concerned Bucks fans throughout Milwaukee, mothers will be able to sleep soundly knowing their newborn children will receive the formula they need to be healthy."

      "As Wisconsin's leading food supplier, Piggly Wiggly encourages Bucks fans to help us ensure low-income mothers in southeast Wisconsin have access to healthy supplies of infant formula for their newborns," said Dawn Thaves, Piggly Wiggly promotions manager. "It's important that we provide our youngest neighbors with the food to make it through their infancy healthy and happy."

      The "Formula FastBreak" event was inspired by Amy McBurney of Muskego, WI. McBurney was an audience member for a taping of the Oprah show "Pay It Forward" that aired on October 30, 2006. At the taping, Oprah gave everyone in the audience a gift card valued at $1,000. The requirement was that each person was to use the money to make a difference in the lives of others. McBurney donated her $1,000 to Hunger Task Force to be used specifically for baby formula. When members of the "Lady Bucks" heard of the donation, they were inspired to build upon the effort by creating "Formula FastBreak."

    • Noel Amber Trujillo
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
        I'm steaming mad.

        Wisconsin Law: http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills40.html

        Department of Health & Family Services:
        http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/health/Nutrition/Breastfeeding/bffriendlycomm.htm
        Which includes many PDF's about returning to work, how bfing improves a
        company's bottom line, and creating a lactation room.

        Piggly Wiggly contact info: MrPig@...
        All PW stores in Wisconsin:
        http://www.pigglywiggly.com/cgi-bin/zipLocator?state.WI

        I've emailed The Bucks website to see if there is a contact info for the
        "Lady Bucks'.

        More to come I'm sure. This makes me SICK.

        Noel
        breastfeedingisnormal.org

        Janice Reynolds wrote:

        > *Lady Bucks Announce "Formula FastBreak"*
        >
        > http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/FormulaFastBreak_070319.html
        > <http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/FormulaFastBreak_070319.html>
        >
        > *March 19, 2007 - *Fans attending the Bucks/Pistons game on Sunday,
        > March 25 will have an opportunity to make an impact on the lives of
        > single mothers in the state of Wisconsin. The “Lady Bucks” – a group
        > of Bucks wives, family members and employees – have teamed up with
        > Piggly Wiggly and Hunger Task Force to coordinate the first-ever
        > “Bucks Formula FastBreak”, an event designed to raise funds and
        > collect baby/infant formula for Wisconsin mothers in need.
        >
        > “This is a cause that all Bucks fans – both men and women – can easily
        > be a part of,” said Jan Krystkowiak, wife of Bucks Head Coach Larry
        > Krystkowiak. “When we first spoke about our involvement with this
        > event, the entire Lady Bucks group felt that it was a worthwhile cause
        > and something that could impact the lives of many children and
        > families in Wisconsin.”
        >
        > The event will take place in Lobbies A, B, C and D at the Bradley
        > Center. Donation barrels and cash collection tables will be located in
        > each of the four lobbies. Fans are encouraged to donate any
        > infant/baby formula product (powder or liquid), or cash that will be
        > used to purchase formula. Donations will be accepted from the time the
        > doors open at 1:30 p.m. through the conclusion of Sunday’s game, which
        > begins at 2:30 p.m.
        >
        > “We all know how expensive and valuable infant formula is,” said
        > Sherrie Tussler, Hunger Task Force executive director. “Thanks to the
        > dedication of the Milwaukee Bucks, Piggly Wiggly, and concerned Bucks
        > fans throughout Milwaukee, mothers will be able to sleep soundly
        > knowing their newborn children will receive the formula they need to
        > be healthy.”
        >
        > “As Wisconsin’s leading food supplier, Piggly Wiggly encourages Bucks
        > fans to help us ensure low-income mothers in southeast Wisconsin have
        > access to healthy supplies of infant formula for their newborns,” said
        > Dawn Thaves, Piggly Wiggly promotions manager. “It’s important that we
        > provide our youngest neighbors with the food to make it through their
        > infancy healthy and happy.”
        >
        > The “Formula FastBreak” event was inspired by Amy McBurney of Muskego,
        > WI. McBurney was an audience member for a taping of the Oprah show
        > “Pay It Forward” that aired on October 30, 2006. At the taping, Oprah
        > gave everyone in the audience a gift card valued at $1,000. The
        > requirement was that each person was to use the money to make a
        > difference in the lives of others. McBurney donated her $1,000 to
        > Hunger Task Force to be used specifically for baby formula. When
        > members of the “Lady Bucks” heard of the donation, they were inspired
        > to build upon the effort by creating “Formula FastBreak.”

      • Janice Reynolds
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007

          Rather than clutter this list with much discussion of this specific incident – please post your comments and references at this thread at mothering.com:

          http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=638415

          Janice Reynolds

        • ushabug
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
            Just to say. This is quoted from the Wisconsin Bucks website:
            Hunger Task Force advocates breast feeding as the first and best
            option for new mothers. In situations where breast feeding is
            impossible, Hunger Task Force acts to ensure mothers are equipped with
            sufficient supplies of infant formula to ensure that newborns receive
            the nutrition they need.

            http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/FormulaFastBreak_070319.html

            Usha
          • Noel Amber Trujillo
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2007
              That is COMPLETELY changed from the original post.

              ushabug wrote:

              > Just to say. This is quoted from the Wisconsin Bucks website:
              > Hunger Task Force advocates breast feeding as the first and best
              > option for new mothers. In situations where breast feeding is
              > impossible, Hunger Task Force acts to ensure mothers are equipped with
              > sufficient supplies of infant formula to ensure that newborns receive
              > the nutrition they need.
              >
              > http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/FormulaFastBreak_070319.html
              > <http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/FormulaFastBreak_070319.html>
              >
              > Usha

            • Sam
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 22, 2007
                Was that just added, after ppl complained?