Re: [lactivism] Re: Michigan mother needs your help - CONTACT INFO

  • JAKE MARCUS
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2007
      Thanks :)  Believe me, it would come as no surprise.  I held a LLL meeting for WOH moms in an on-site day care at a big pharma co. some years ago and they kept the breastmilk in a separate fridge and used universal precautions in handling it.  It was a chain and the procedures were chain-wide.  I told them how unnecessary and just plain stupid it was but it never occurred to me to see whether they charged the breastfeeding moms more.

      Hmmm...would a "sting" operation be called for here?  Should all of us be calling day care centers in our states pretending to be shopping around?  Louisiana's law wasn't just someone's bright idea in the shower one morning.  It had to have arisen from some practice that we are just discovering.

      Thoughts?

      Jake Marcus
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007

        Yeah, Ohio and Michigan . *sigh* Someday my 5 month old nursling will give me more than a few hours of sleep at a time and my brain will work again. ;)

        I kind of like the idea of a sting operation. I really am curious how widespread this problem is and I wonder if there are moms out there quietly lamenting the need to switch to formula, but that are too busy to speak up or simply have no idea that it’s NOT ok for day care centers to do this.

        Just last night I was at a local midwife meeting and one of them women told me that years ago she had the same problem at her day care. The center would not even TOUCH the milk. They would, however, give her a beeper and page her whenever the baby was hungry. She’d have to leave work, travel to the day care center and feed her child. She ended up losing her job because she was gone too much.

        Insanity.

        Anyone else have some good national media contacts? I’m up to three moms now if I get a response on a note I sent at ProMom. There’s a mother there that had the same problem at a Kindercare chain as Katy is having up in Michigan . She was a lawyer and fought it all the way to the top. Ultimately, Kindercare reversed course and agreed to do a lot of educating, including educating parents about their right to nurse at the centers and letting other parents know that breastfeeding parents WOULD be nursing at the centers. I like the idea of including someone in the pitch that DID get the issue resolved.

        I’d like to find another mom or two that had problems finding centers that would deal with expressed milk though…

        Jennifer

        The Lactivist Blog

        http://thelactivist.blogspot.com

      • Amy Philo

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
            I would be willing to call around state checking out different daycare's
            policies on breastfed babies. I'm from Minnesota, and actually help out at a
            private daycare here in my town. The lady I do daycare for has never
            actually had that "problem"... (how sad). Should I just be calling daycare
            "chains" or private ones as well??
            Brittney

            >From: "JAKE MARCUS" <mamajake@...>
            >To: <lactivism@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [lactivism] Re: Michigan mother needs your help - CONTACT
            >INFO
            >Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:47:56 -0500
            >
            >Thanks :) Believe me, it would come as no surprise. I held a LLL meeting
            >for WOH moms in an on-site day care at a big pharma co. some years ago and
            >they kept the breastmilk in a separate fridge and used universal
            >precautions in handling it. It was a chain and the procedures were
            >chain-wide. I told them how unnecessary and just plain stupid it was but
            >it never occurred to me to see whether they charged the breastfeeding moms
            >more.
            >
            >Hmmm...would a "sting" operation be called for here? Should all of us be
            >calling day care centers in our states pretending to be shopping around?
            >Louisiana's law wasn't just someone's bright idea in the shower one
            >morning. It had to have arisen from some practice that we are just
            >discovering.
            >
            >Thoughts?
            >
            >Jake Marcus

            Refi Now: Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate
            new payment
            http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-17727&moid=7581