Fwd: Response from the National Pork Board

  • Amy Philo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2007
      "Steve Murphy, Chief Executive Officer" <communicator@...> wrote:
      Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 18:39:21 -0500 (EST)
      From: "Steve Murphy, Chief Executive Officer" <communicator@...>
      To: amyphilo@...
      Subject: Response from the National Pork Board

      Friday, February 2, 2007

      Thank you for your email to the National Pork Board. We appreciate you taking the time to send us an email regarding our communication with "The Lactivist" webstore on CafePress.com about our trademark rights.
      It is important to understand that our lawyer’s correspondence to Ms. Laycock was in no way intended to challenge or demean breastfeeding or those who support it. This correspondence is about defending our trademark and the National Pork Board's responsibility to protect pork industry investments on behalf of the 70,000 US pork producers we represent. The Other White Meat® is a pork industry trademark whose value was built slowly and thoughtfully over 20 years, paid for by producer’s hard-earned dollars. Any infringement on that mark would substantially lessen its value and impact for US pork producers.
      It’s also important to understand that the National Pork Board cannot pick and choose which infringement challenges it decides to address. We have a responsibility to the industry to challenge all viable infringements (and we do so on a weekly basis) or face the possibility of losing trademark protection and allowing the industry’s valued trademark to become public domain, and thus worthless.
      Again, the National Pork Board takes no issue with your important cause. Our interest here was in protecting US pork producer’s investment in The Other White Meat® trademark. We apologize if our response seemed impersonal or harsh; that was not our intent. We will use all feedback that we receive to improve our communication processes in the future. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

      Steve Murphy
      Chief Executive Officer
      The National Pork Board

      This email was sent to amyphilo@..., by communicator@...