Dane County, Wisconsin, passes legislation *with fine*

  • ewebster_99
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2007
      Just came across this... Scroll down to the last paragraph.

      http://www.channel3000.com/news/10674443/detail.html

      MADISON, Wis. -- Dane County mothers are now able to nurse their
      children anywhere they choose under an ordinance enacted Thursday night.

      The ordinance prohibits anyone from interfering with a breastfeeding
      mother in any public place in Dane County.

      The ordinance comes after recent reports of mothers being escorted off
      planes or even out of Camp Randall Stadium because of where they've
      chosen to breastfeed.

      "I go everywhere with my kids; I feed them whenever they're hungry,"
      said Erika Lukas, a Madison mother.

      Lukas said that breastfeeding her child hasn't been easy for her or
      her friends lately.

      "She went to nurse her baby in her car, because she wasn't comfortable
      doing it in the mall, and a security guard was tapping on her window
      saying, 'You can't do this here,'" said Lukas of a friend's experience.

      Now one Madison mother, who is also a county board supervisor, said
      she hopes to make experiences like that a thing of the past.

      "Technically, if you're a store owner and you see someone nursing and
      you want them to stop nursing, you may ask them to leave. So, this
      would stop you from asking them to leave," said Supervisor Carousel Bayrd.

      The county-wide ordinance now bans anyone from interfering with a
      breastfeeding mother. The ordinance is getting mixed reviews from city
      residents.

      "Why should we put an undue burden on women and young children?" said
      Bob Dwyer of Madison.

      "I have no problem with breastfeeding in public. I breastfed all my
      children, but I think there are health concerns and (wonder) whether
      it is appropriate or not for the business place. I would have a
      question about that," said Marilyn Martin of Madison.

      Lukas said she feels the safety of knowing you could nurse your child
      anywhere could encourage other mothers to breastfeed.

      "What's good for babies and mothers is going to benefit the
      community," Lukas said.

      While the ordinance overwhelmingly passed the county board, there is a
      similar measure currently in committees of the Madison City Council as
      well as the state Legislature.

      There are consequences for a violation of the ordinance. Anyone who
      violates the law could be subject to a fine ranging from $10 to $100,
      WISC-TV reported.

      Ellen M. Baumann
      Three Boys :: Three Blogs
      Christopher(5) Timothy(3) Andrew(11 mos.)
      mommyblawg.blogspot.com babyblawg.blogspot.com bookblawg.blogspot.com