[Proposal] Revision to Administrative Bylaw 2.A.ii.a/4.B.viii.1.a

  • Chris Barrs
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      Please let me know what you think by the usual methods

      Proposal: Revision to Administrative Bylaw 2.A.ii.a/4.B.viii.1.a
      (Election Reform Proposal #4)

      I hereby propose the following addition to Administrative Bylaw
      4.B.viii.3.a (the addition is "a"):

      viii. The nominee carrying the most votes on Council shall
      become Coordinator.

      1. In case of a tie, the Head Coordinator may either break the tie
      or hold a run-off election between all tied parties.

      a. The Executive Team - to include the HC and the AHCs - may not
      cast their votes for any candidates during this election process. The
      only exception to this shall be that the HC will retain their vote if
      they need to break a tie once the vote has concluded, as per the above

      2. For a run-off election, only the candidates who were tied will
      be on the ballot. The option to reject all candidates will be removed.
      The option to abstain will remain.

      3. If the election is still tied after the run-off vote, the HC
      will break the tie.

      I also hereby propose the following addition to Administrative Bylaw
      2.A.ii.a (the addition is "a"):

      2. Council

      A. The Council of One World by Night is considered the governing
      body of the network and shall consist of:

      i. One (1) voting representative from each full member chronicle.
      A voting representative may serve as a voting representative for only
      one full member chronicle at a time.

      ii. The Head Coordinator and Assistant Head Coordinators who shall
      hold one (1) vote each. They may not hold any other votes on the
      Council, such as being the Council representative of a chronicle.

      a. The votes able to be cast by the Executive Team (Head
      Coordinator and Assistant Head Coordinators) is expected to be used in
      the capacity of their administrative duties. Reference Administrative
      Bylaw 4.B.viii for limitations to this during the Coordinator Election

      The Coordinator elections are about the core of our Organization: we
      are a group of chronicles that come together and agree to a shared
      Universe, and Coordinator elections are our time to represent the
      interests of our chronicles and players for how we best feel the
      Organization should proceed in the future. Members of the Executive
      Team are not chronicles or players, and they have Council Voting
      rights for the purposes of allowing them to make Proposals and see to
      administrative needs of the Organization, such as Bylaw revisions,
      disciplinary actions, and other administrative contingencies. I do not
      feel that it is appropriate for them to participate as individuals in
      the rights of chronicles to elect their Coordinators for the term.

      On the topic of the Exec Team votes for the Exec Team candidates: It
      has been said that the HC should be able to vote on the AHCs. It is my
      opinion that we do not get to chose who we work with at our jobs in
      real life, yet we manage to work together as a team. I think that's
      the core of what we should expect of the Executive Team that
      represents our Organization at its highest level. If the Head
      Coordinator wants to voice who they want to work with, they may write
      a letter of recommendation to Council during the discussion period and
      have their preference known then. Additionally (and while this has
      been a tradition in the past), I do not think that the AHCs should be
      able to continue to vote for themselves - with a vote only accountable
      to and representative of themselves alone - to retain their own

      In conclusion it is my opinion that, given the existing Bylaw line
      that the HC vote is meant to break a tie during elections, we did not
      intend to Coordinators to become whole voting chronicles in their own
      right during elections, but rather, we expect them to use their votes
      in the capacity of their duties. Voting in Coordinator elections for
      "the candidate they like" isn't exactly within the scope of the duties
      that I expect from my Executive Team.

      ~ Jenn B.

      CM, Kings of New York

      Current date: March 20, 2013 - 10:55am