Freedom Summer, The Man who betrayed the Poor

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hello. I'm taking the leap of endorsing this book before reading
      it, but with knowledge and certainty about the character and
      experience of its author, Denise Nicholas. I knew Denise a year
      after 1964, when my wife, child and I joined SNCC's Free Southern
      Theater and spent the summer with them at their New Orleans
      home base and performing trips in the deep south. Kate and I became
      quick friends with Denise and Gil Moses, her husband, director-actor,
      co-founder of the Theater and lover of music. Kate taught dance and
      acted with the troupe, where Denise was female lead, and I helped out
      co-founder John Oneal in the office with booking and such, including
      going with John when a white face was essential for business and
      protection. My private agenda was to locate and visit with Babe
      Stovall, Butch Cage, Clifton Chenier and other blues and zydeco greats
      in Louisiana, and Denise and Gil enthusiastically came along with Kate
      and me. We also knowingly broke the color barrier in a few restaurants
      on route, and it was genuinely scary, if not terrifying. We left Marni with
      a baby-sitter when we did this. The great bonus was, of course, meeting
      one after another of the greatest musicians in the world, all of them warm,
      generous and forthcoming with leads to others.

      One other aspect of our shadow of experience compared to Denise's
      full engagement was the Theater's creating plays by going into often-
      rural communities, quickly located the historians - most often women -
      and creating dramas using actual, remarkable incidents and then
      casting residents to give narratives along with the pro's. And, I swear,
      it became great theater and played to rapt audiences, including the white
      community, most often hanging around the edges, but totally engaged.
      I think of traditional music in the same mode, but that's another story.

      So, here's a brave-in-the-face-of-terror, sensitive, truly creative and
      beautiful human being who can pull from her own experience - including
      writing skill enough to merit such a review.
      So read this book. It should be great on many levels.
      Ed

      Freedom Summer A bold new novel explores the fault
      lines of class and race in 1964 Mississippi.

      Reviewed by Samuel G. Freedman
      Sunday, September 25, 2005; BW06

      <http://www.washingtonpost.com/>

      FRESHWATER ROAD

      By Denise Nicholas

      Agate. 335 pp. $23.95

      A southbound train pulls out of Memphis in the opening
      paragraph of Denise Nicholas's superb novel,
      Freshwater Road, and aboard it sits an idealistic and
      anxious young woman named Celeste Tyree, headed for
      three months of volunteer work as part of 1964's
      "Freedom Summer." On the empty seat next to her, she
      spreads out a map of the South and an information
      sheet from her sponsoring organization that has the
      disquieting headline "How to Stay Alive in Mississippi."

      Vivid and economical, filled with presentiment, this
      scene begins a memorable book, surely the best work of
      fiction about the civil rights movement since Ernest
      J. Gaines's The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman.
      Where Gaines made the movement the climax of a
      sprawling narrative of a century-long life, Nicholas
      sets her entire tale within a single summer, as
      Celeste teaches in a "freedom school" and mobilizes
      blacks to register to vote in a segregated backwater
      called Pineyville. By deeply inhabiting every
      character, by intricately depicting every moment,
      Nicholas manages to be intimate and epic
      simultaneously.

      Freshwater Road is a coming-of-age story that unfolds
      against the backdrop of epochal events, particularly
      the murders of James Chaney, Michael Schwerner and
      Andrew Goodman. The assassination of Medgar Evers and
      the development of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic
      Party also hover in the wings of Nicholas's narrative.
      Simply to note those episodes is to be reminded of why
      the civil rights movement has yielded far more history
      than fiction -- the work of David Garrow, Taylor
      Branch, Diane McWhorter, Nick Kotz and David
      Halberstam, among others. With an actual cast of
      characters as larger-than-life as Martin Luther King
      Jr., Bull Connor, George Wallace, Lyndon Johnson and
      Fred Shuttlesworth, any novelist would have good
      reason to despair over how invention could possibly
      outdo reality. Beyond that, the movement represented a
      genuine example of Good versus Evil, which has a way
      of turning pedantic and inert when transmuted into
      fiction.

      A first-time novelist best known as a television
      actress from "Room 222," "In the Heat of the Night"
      (for which she also wrote) and "The Cosby Show,"
      Nicholas rises to these challenges better than most
      literary veterans. While she comes to the book with
      her memories of having performed with the Free
      Southern Theater in Mississippi during the summer of
      1964, she has delivered something infinitely richer
      and more artistically satisfying than a veiled memoir.
      She has found the human complexity within the
      overarching passion play. Rather than dividing her
      characters into dastardly whites and saintly blacks,
      she boldly explores the fault lines of class, pigment,
      geography and character within the African-American
      community.

      Nicholas's appreciation of the untidy truths of human
      nature starts with her unsentimental portrait of
      Celeste. A child of the North and of the black middle
      class -- her father, Shuck Tyree, owns a popular bar
      in Detroit, and she is attending the University of
      Michigan -- Celeste volunteers for Freedom Summer for
      complicated reasons. At one level, Nicholas writes,
      "She saw herself as a cross between Joan of Arc and
      Harriet Tubman, the fires of righteousness flaming in
      her heart." Yet she also recognizes that she'd "come
      here to shore up her own Negro-ness," guilty that for
      so long "she'd thought she was above it."

      Her immersion into Pineyville, then, brings all kinds
      of shocks, from outhouses to insects, from the
      timidity of some local blacks to the ferocity of the
      white sheriff. Nicholas indelibly conveys the fear
      that accompanies Celeste nearly every second of the
      summer, whether she is being beaten and hurled into
      jail or walking along a dark stretch of road to a pay
      phone, wondering which passing car might carry her
      killer. She wrings out accomplishments in tiny
      increments and at great cost. Three local blacks
      succeed in registering to vote, but meanwhile the
      church that housed her freedom school is burned to the
      ground, and one of the pupils mysteriously drowns in a
      nearby river. To Celeste's agony, it looks possible
      that the child, inspired by lessons about runaway
      slaves, was trying to flee her bullying father.

      Toward the end of the book, Nicholas writes with
      typical insight about the toll on her heroine:
      "Celeste had packed and unpacked her suitcase a
      hundred times in her mind. She first started doing it
      the night the shots were fired through the houses on
      Freshwater Road and blasted out the back window of Mr.
      Tucker's maroon Hudson. Whoever had done it surely
      believed this would scare the Negro people out of
      their drive for voting rights and scare her back to
      where she came from. She fled back to Detroit a
      hundred times, in her dreams, in her walks to the
      outhouse, in her daily struggle with the lack of
      running water, in her loneliness."

      By portraying Celeste's fears and doubts, Nicholas
      makes the young woman's commitment all the more
      impressive and all the more believable. Nicholas also
      shows just how deeply it unsettles Celeste's family.
      Her mother, living in New Mexico with her second
      husband, sees Celeste as hopelessly naive. "You'll
      give and you'll give," she chastises her in one
      letter, "and it'll still be crabs in a barrel." A
      self-proclaimed "race man," or black nationalist,
      Shuck vacillates between pride and anger at his
      daughter's grit. While he supports the civil rights
      cause, at a more personal level he drips condescension
      for Mississippi's blacks -- so hopelessly "country"
      while he is "siddity."

      As Nicholas paints Shuck during a few chapters set in
      Detroit, she evokes the imminent changes there, too --
      changes that would take the form not of political
      liberation but self-destructive revolt. Three years
      before the Detroit riots, Shuck can see the substance
      of black neighborhoods starting to erode. Nicholas
      describes him driving to meet his lover, a high-school
      teacher:

      "Shuck drove north on West Grand Boulevard, passing
      the deep-porched houses not destroyed by the
      expressway. At night they were presentable, but Shuck
      knew in the light of day you could see the disrepair
      creeping around the eaves, the paint chipping off the
      wood trim, the old people let go of by their
      delinquent children. . . . In the middle of the day
      the discarded young men stood around on corners, and
      women ran from the bus stop to their front doors,
      hands in their purses, clutching kitchen knives or
      sewing shears to ward off junkies."

      It is impossible to praise Freshwater Road too much,
      in part because it arrives without a large promotional
      campaign or much publishing-industry buzz. The credit,
      then, goes not only to the author but to Agate, the
      publishing house in suburban Chicago that has brought
      such a worthy book into print and, with any luck,
      given Denise Nicholas yet another career, this one as
      a novelist. .

      Samuel G. Freedman, a professor of journalism at
      Columbia University, is the author, most recently, of
      "Who She Was: My Search for My Mother's Life." His
      other books include "Upon This Rock: The Miracles of a
      Black Church."

      C 2005 The Washington Post Company

      ***

      Commentaries are sent to Sustainer Donors of Z/ZNet
      To learn more: http://www.zmag.org

      Today's commentary:
      http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2005-09/25monbiot.cfm

      ==================================

      ZNet Commentary
      The Man Who Betrayed the Poor September 27, 2005
      By George Monbiot

      Two months have not elapsed since the G8 summit, and already almost
      everything has turned to ashes. Even the crustiest sceptics have been
      shocked by the speed with which its promises have been broken.

      It is true that they didn't amount to much. The World Development Movement
      described the agreement as "a disaster for the world's poor."(1) ActionAid
      complained that "the G8 have completely failed to deliver trade justice."(2)
      Christian Aid called July 8th as "a sad day for poor people in Africa and
      all over the world."(3) Oxfam lamented that "neither the necessary sense of
      urgency nor the historic potential of Gleneagles was grasped by the G8."(4)
      But one man had a different view. Bob Geldof, who organised the Live8
      events, announced that "a great justice has been done. .. On aid, 10 out of
      10; on debt, eight out of 10 ... Mission accomplished frankly."(5)

      Had he not signed off like this, had he not gone on to describe a South
      African campaigner who had criticised the deal as "a disgrace"(6), Geldof
      could have walked away from the summit unencumbered by further
      responsibility. He could have spent the rest of his life on holiday, and no
      one would have minded. But it was because he gave the G8 his seal of
      approval, because he told us, in effect, that we could all go home and stop
      worrying about Africa that he now has a responsibility to speak out.

      The uses to which a Geldof can be put are limited. Before the summit he was
      seen by campaigners as naïve, ill-informed and unaccountable. But he can
      make public statements with the potential to embarrass politicians. While
      they don't usually rise above the "give us your focking money" level, they
      do have the effect of capturing the attention of the press. But though
      almost everything he said he was fighting for has fallen apart, he has yet
      to tell the public.

      Immediately after the summit, as the world's attention shifted to the London
      bombs, Germany and Italy announced that they might not be able to meet the
      commitments they had just made, due to "budgetary constraints"(7). A week
      later, on July 15th, the World Development Movement obtained leaked
      documents showing that four of the IMF's European directors were trying to
      overturn the G8's debt deal(8). Four days after that, Gordon Brown dropped a
      bomb. He admitted that the aid package the G8 leaders had promised "includes
      the numbers for debt relief."(9) The extra money they had promised for aid
      and the extra money they had promised for debt relief were in fact one and
      the same.

      Nine days after that, on July 28th, the United States, which had appeared to
      give some ground at Gleneagles, announced a pact with Australia, China and
      India to undermine the Kyoto protocol on climate change(10). On August 2nd,
      leaked documents from the World Bank showed that the G8 had not in fact
      granted 100% debt relief to 18 countries, but had promised enough money only
      to write off their repayments for the next three years(11). On August 3rd,
      the United Nations revealed that only one third of the money needed for
      famine relief in Niger, and 14% of the money needed by Mali had been pledged
      by the rich nations(12). Some 5 million people in the western Sahel remained
      at risk of starvation.

      Two weeks ago, we discovered that John Bolton, the new US ambassador to the
      United Nations, had proposed 750 amendments to the agreement which is meant
      to be concluded at next week's UN summit. He was, in effect, striking out
      the Millennium Development Goals on health, education and poverty relief,
      which the United Nations set in 2000(13). Yesterday, ActionAid released a
      report showing that the first of these goals - equal access to schooling for
      boys and girls by 2005 - has been missed in over 70 countries(14). "Africa",
      it found, "is currently projected to miss every goal." There is so little
      resolve at the UN to do anything about it that the summit could deliver "a
      worse outcome than the situation before the G8." Yet Geldof remains silent.

      "We are very critical of what Bob Geldof did during the G8 Summit", Demba
      Moussa Dembele of the African Forum on Alternatives tells me. "He did it for
      his self-promotion. This is why he marginalized African singers, putting the
      limelight on himself and Bono, rather than on the issues. . The objectives
      of the whole Live8 campaign had little to do with poverty reduction in
      Africa. It was a scheme intended to project Geldof and Blair as humanitarian
      figures coming to the rescue of "poor and helpless" Africans."(15)

      "Right from the beginning," says Kofi Mawuli Klu of the Forum of African
      Human Rights Defenders, "he has acted in his own selfish interests. It was
      all about self-promotion, about usurping the place of Africans. His message
      was "shut up and watch me". Without even understanding the root causes of
      the problems, he used his role to drown the voices of the African people and
      replace them with his own. There are many knowledgeable people - African and
      non-African - who could have advised him, but he has been on his own,
      ego-tripping."(16)

      I have heard similar sentiments from every African campaigner I have spoken
      to. Bob Geldof is beginning to look like Mother Teresa or Joy Adamson. To
      the corporate press, and therefore to most of the public, he is a saint.
      Among those who know something about the issues, he is detested. Those other
      tabloid saints appeared to recognise that if they rattled the cages of the
      powerful, the newspapers upon which their public regard depended would turn
      against them. When there was a conflict between their public image and their
      cause, the image won. It seems to me that Geldof has played the same game.

      He seized a campaign which commanded great public enthusiasm, which had the
      potential gravely to embarrass Tony Blair and George Bush. He asked us to
      focus not on the harm the G8 leaders were doing, but on the help they might
      give. When they failed to deliver, he praised them anyway. His endorsement
      and the public forgetfulness it prompted helped license them to start
      reversing their commitments. When they did so, he said nothing. This looks
      to me like more than just political naivity. It looks as if he is working
      for the other side.

      I don't mean that this is what he intended - or intends - to do. I mean that
      he came to identify with the people he was supposed to be lobbying. By
      ensuring that the campaign was as much about him as about Africa, he ensured
      that if they failed, he failed. He needed a story with a happy ending.

      There is just one thing that Geldof can now do for Africa. This is to
      announce that his optimism was misplaced, that the mission was not
      accomplished, that the struggle for justice is as urgent as ever. But while
      he holds his tongue, he will remain the man who betrayed the poor.

      www.monbiot.com