The Draft and Cynthia McKinney

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2004
      Hi. I've just begun receiving letters like this about the draft even though the appropriate House committee has already passed on the bill by something like 49 to 1. So, it's real and pressing, few know about it and, so far as I know, there's no solid organizing going on to build broad opposition to it, begin counseling of potential draftees, make it a big campaign issue, et al. Like what the Resistance so successfully did during the Vietnam war. Let the movers and shakers begin.
      And, I can think of no better spokesperson for this new movement than Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, ousted from her Georgia seat by money that lied, distorted, manipulated, anything to get rid of this passionate and effective voice against war and occupation, and for civil and human rights, et al. Well, she's baack - launching a campaign to regain her seat and here in LA, this weekend. If you go to one of these events, ask her about the draft and you'll see what I mean.

      Finally, loving congratulations to Jackie and Sharon, long time friends and comrades in the struggle for equality and decent lives for all. This, I'm sure, from many on this list, as they are. There's a nice picture and story on their marriage on B-6 in today's LA Times. Also to Torrie and the others who married.

      Ed

      Dear Folks,

      While not wanting to make assumptions about anyone's political views, I feel compelled to send this particular one to everyone I know. Just before Super Tuesday, one of my friends mentioned her thought that, if Bush wins re-election, he would re-institute the draft as soon as the November election is over. As it turns out, we won't have to wait, given plans currently well underway. No matter where you stand politically, this is the kind of development that will affect everyone,and it demands the informed-choice opinions of citizens. From what you can read below, we're not being given the chance to exercise our intelligence and voice. Needless to say, I'm pissed off about that and not-so-humbly submit that everyone else should be.

      Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 --
      conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election! But the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed NOW, so our action is needed immediately.

      If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have
      a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among
      other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

      PLEASE, PLEASE read this, pass it on to everyone you know, AND consider taking some immediate action to voice your opinion, whether it's in the
      easy form described below, or another way. Unless we get informed and say what we want or don't want, our young women and men will be forced into
      military service.

      The Draft*

      $28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS)budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15,
      2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website:
      http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

      The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this
      is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long,
      hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

      Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003,"To provide for the common
      defense by requiring that allyoung persons [age18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of
      civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the
      Committee on Armed Services.

      Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada
      and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs,
      John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a
      "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class
      lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only beable to postpone service until the end of their current semester.
      Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

      Here are the links for articles about this issue.
      http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news/2004/01/105146.php

      http://www.projectcensored.org

      "Another fine mess we've gotten ourselves into, Ollie..."
      ~ Stan Laurel

      US Preparing for Military Draft in Spring 2005
      by Adam Stutz . Wednesday January 28, 2004 at 09:50 AM

      The current agenda of the US federal government is to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism." Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election!

      Reinstatement of the draft

      Dear Friends and Family,

      I urge you to read the article below on the current agenda of the federal government to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism."

      Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election! But the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed NOW, so our action is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

      If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

      Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all the aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents.... And let your children know -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change! Please also write to your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

[...]

      *This article by Adam Stutz is from the "What's Hot Off the Press" column of the newsletter of Project Censored, a media research group at Sonoma State University that tracks the news published in independent journals and newsletters. From these, Project Censored compiles an annual list (more than 20 years running) of 25 news stories of social significance that have been overlooked, under-reported, or self-censored by the country's major national news media. The mission of Project Censored is "to educate people about the role of independent journalism in a democratic society and to tell The News That Didn't Make the News and why."

      "What's Hot Off the Press" includes student synopses of articles currently being investigated for inclusion in the next Project Censored report. For more info and/or to receive Project Censored's newsletter, go to http://www.projectcensored.org, or email [censored]@...

      ***

      KPFK Fund Raiser!

      - Cynthia McKinney, Michael Ruppert, Eva Georgia and Ed Begley will
      speak, Vessy Mink will perform, in Los Angeles, Sat, March 13, 4-7PM,
      at the Immanuel Presbyterian Church, 3300 Wilshire Blvd., LA. Cynthia
      is running for Congress again, after serving 5 terms, then railroaded out of

      office for speaking out against U.S. policies in Iraq, Palestine, the invasion

      of Afghanistan, the Patriot Act, and calling for an investigation of the events

      around 9/11.

      ***

      Cynthia McKinney

      Former Congresswoman from the 4th congressional District in Georgia

      wants to take back her seat!!! You can help!!!

      You are invited to a Reception honoring Cynthia McKinney

      Sunday, March 14th

      At 6:30 PM

      At the home of Anne Marie Staas and Saul Niedorf

      176 N. Highland Avenue, Los Angeles 90036

      Attire is casual. Contribution $100. RSVP (626) 289-9133

      Cynthia McKinney has a strong reputation supporting civil and human rights and she has shown herself to be a woman of principle, integrity, and courage. She is needed back in Congress. Please come and invite your friends. Your contributions to her campaign will assure one more Democrat back in the House of Representatives.