[LAAMN-ANN] Pacifica Strike Update

  • Eileen Sutton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19 8:35 PM
      February 18, 2000

      Comrades,

      We are rounding the corner of our 3rd week on strike. No
      official reply from management, save one press release.
      Pacifica refuses to debate the issues, so it is trying to
      discredit the strikers on several unrelated fronts. Our
      response to management is on our strike page:

      http://www.savepacifica.net/strike

      We are proud to announce that the second installment of Free
      Speech Radio News is now available on our site as well. We
      are now producing one segment a week, and just secured a
      production studio in Berkeley through a grass-roots radio
      organization there. An NPR affiliate on the West Coast was
      kind enough to give us production support for the first
      week's cast. The show is posted to our site in MP3 format,
      or it can be heard through RealAudio/RealPlayer as well.
      We are also working on securing production facilities in New
      York.

      The support for the strike action has been wonderful.
      Academics from across the country have signed a petition,
      and are refusing to give commentary to PNN until the strike
      is resolved. This lists includes Barbara Ehrenreich, Noam
      Chomsky, Angela Davis and Bob McChesney. Union support is
      growing daily. We were recently endorsed by the South Bay
      Labor council on the West Coast, which has 100,000 members.
      We just got word this morning that Ship Clerks' Local 34,
      International Longshore and Warehouse Union, in San
      Francisco, voted to endorse. Long live the West Coast!
      The full list of our endorsements can also be found--guess
      where?--on our strike page.

      Reporters from around the country and around the world
      continue to join the action. We'd like to thank two
      reporters in Albany who honored the strike line last week
      and refused to give stories to PNN on the Diallo trial.
      We'd also like to thank Chip Mitchell who files from South
      America for joining the strike.

      Press has also been strong. In his Washington Post column,
      Frank Ahrens referred to the censorship at Pacifica as
      "cowardly radio," and "Soviet-style journalism."

      We are planning a press conference in New York next week to
      coincide with Pacifica's national board meeting in D.C. the
      weekend of February 25th. Please spread the word about the
      meeting.

      onward,

      Eileen Sutton
      Pacifica Reporters Against Censorship
      (212) 439-8087

      for the first time, set the "Delivery Mode" to "Read On The Web Only")
      Questions/Problems: Send email to <worker-laamn-announce@...>