[LAAMN-ANN] AlterNet Headlines, 2/18/2000

  • AlterNet
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19 7:29 PM
      AlterNet Headlines

      Brief summaries of leading stories from AlterNet -- the
      independent news and syndication service -- for February
      18, 2000.

      http://www.alternet.org

      FIELDS OF BROKEN DREAMS: LATINOS AND BASEBALL
      By Marcos Breton, Colorlines
      The exploitation of Latino baseball players -- now 25
      percent of major league rosters -- remains grossly
      underreported. Sammy Sosa, for example, was acquired in 1986
      for a mere $3,500, the exact amount Jackie Robinson got in
      1946.
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Breton021800.html

      OLD WOMAN WAITING
      By Donna Ladd, AlterNet
      The battle to block the Feb. 24 execution of Bettie Lou
      Beets, a mentally impaired great-grandmother on Texas' death
      row, has found an unlikely leader in a charismatic
      55-year-old former housewife.
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Ladd021800.html

      IRONY WITH SOUL: DAVE EGGERS WRITES THE HIPPEST OF MEMOIRS
      By Tamara Straus, AlterNet
      A complex and probing interview with Dave Eggers, the
      29-year-old author of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering
      Genius," who is being called the definitive voice of
      Generation X.
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Straus021800.html

      WHY NOT MARRY A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE?
      By Christine Triano, AlterNet
      Fox's newest game show, "Who Wants to Marry a
      Multi-Millionaire?" may be crassly commercial, but what's so
      morally objectionable about dispensing with courtship
      process and cutting straight to the vows?
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Triano021800.html

      DON'T THINK, SMILE!
      By Michelle Goldberg, Speak Magazine
      If the American left had more intellectuals like Ellen
      Willis its leaders wouldn't need to spend all their time
      bemoaning the demise of the American Left.
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Goldberg021800.html

      BOUGHT AND SOLD: DRUG WARRIORS AND THE MEDIA
      By Paul Armentano, The Freeman
      Some media outlets are compromising their journalistic
      integrity by welcoming the federal government as a major
      paying anti-drug advertiser, an alarming development in the
      ill-advised "war on drugs."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Armentano021800.html

      ALONG THE COLOR LINE: THE POLITICS OF INEQUALITY
      By Manning Marable, AlterNet
      "The fundamental issue that will define racial politics in
      the next decade is the spiraling growth of economic
      inequality in American life."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Marable021800.html

      MINORITY YOUTH DISPROPORTIONATELY TRANSFERRED TO ADULT PRISONS
      By Scott Harris, Between the Lines
      A new report says Asian, African-American and Latino youth
      are far more likely to be transferred to adult court and 300
      percent more likely to be incarcerated in California than
      their white counterparts.
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Harris021800.html

      HOSPITAL, HEAL THYSELF
      By Barbara Ehrenreich, The Progressive
      "Somewhere from 44,000 to 98,000 people die every year as a
      result of medical errors -- which beats breast cancer, AIDS,
      car accidents, diabetes and pneumonia."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Ehrenreich021800.html

      SWEATING OUT THE WORDS
      By Debbie Nathan, The Nation
      The New Yorker magazine recently ran a literary contest
      whose votes were counted in a Third World sweatshop. But the
      New Yorker is hardly alone in this practice.
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Nathan021800.html

      THE ECONOMIC BOOM: HOW BIG, HOW BROAD, HOW LONG?
      By Michael Lindemann, GS Report
      As with every economic boom, the one we're currently
      experiencing will end with a bust. When it comes it will hit
      hard, especially for the millions who aren't enjoying the
      fruits of our new prosperity.
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Lindeman021800.html

      WILLY NILLY
      By Mary Spicuzza, Metro San Jose
      Anti-circumcision groups like Brothers United for Foreskin
      are fighting a long and sensitive battle against "routine
      male genital mutilation," and are pushing for a wider use of
      foreskin restoration procedures.
      http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/01.27.00/foreskin-0004.html

      CORRUPTION PERCEPTION INDEX: PRESIDENTIAL MILLIONAIRES
      From the Public Campaign
      A biweekly collection of bizarre, outrageous and downright
      hilarious statistics about dirty money in politics. This
      week: "Chance that presidential race front-runner is a
      millionaire: 100 percent."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/CPI021800.html

      MEET YOUR MAKER -- ONLINE!
      By Wyn Hilty, OC Weekly
      "We're all going to keel over someday, I figure we might as
      well do it in style. That's why I've compiled the following
      guide to dying well, with the assistance of a number of
      morbid folks on the Internet who spend a lot more time
      thinking about the subject than I do."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Hilty021800.html
      AlterNet ID: S6876; 1034 words
      Cost: $105; $75; $45; $45 Web only

      BLOODY ETHICS
      By Lev Grossman, Village Voice
      Every day about 150,000 people log on to the virtual world
      of Britannia, where they play a deeply immersive game called
      Ultima. Soon their game lives will radically change.
      http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0006/grossman.shtml

      GET CAUGHT NAPPING AND PLEASE THE BOSS
      By Mieke H. Bomann, American News Service
      Since Americans are working longer and more irregular hours,
      many workers are drifting off at work. So some far-sighted
      managers are offering sanctioned sleep spaces in the office:
      "napnasiums."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Bomann021800.html

      NPR FLOATS AN OMBUDSMAN, BUT PROBLEMS RUN DEEP
      By Norman Solomon, Original to AlterNet
      "What if a restaurant hired a chief inspector who'd been in
      charge of the company's kitchens for years? That's
      essentially what NPR did with its first ombudsman in two
      decades."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Solomon021800.html

      FREAK SHOW
      By Will Durst, Original to AlterNet
      "Brothers and Sisters, step right up to see this year's
      mind-bending collection of political chameleons. If things
      keep going the way they're headed, Bush will end up as the
      fighter pilot, and McCain will turn into the Texan with
      vocabulary dyslexia."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Durst021800.html

      THE DEVIL'S IN THE FINE PRINT
      By Jim Hightower, Original to AlterNet
      "Today, Spaceship Hightower takes you into a teensie-weensie
      world -- the world of fine print on product packages. How
      about the cereal box that offers consumers an actual race
      car! Engine not included, of course."
      http://www.alternet.org/PublicArchive/Hightower021800.html

      **

      AlterNet depends on word-of-mouth to publicize our site. If
      you found the AlterNet Headlines useful, interesting, or
      entertaining, we hope you'll e-mail them to a friend and
      suggest they sign up. The Headlines are free and anyone can
      sign up to receive them at http://www.alternet.org

      *** An appeal to support independent journalism ***

      Help AlterNet continue to promote independent news and
      information. Go to http://www.alternet.org and click the
      Give For Change button in the bottom left corner of our
      homepage. From there you can make a donation to our parent
      organization, the Independent Media Institute. Every dollar
      helps!

      **

      Want the latest media dirt? Get the inside scoop from Media
      Mash, a weekly column with news and gossip from the media
      world. Sign up to receive Media Mash at:
      http://cgi.independentmedia.org/~imi/cgi-bin/mailer/isdb.cgi?A_LOGINFORM.

      **

      Need content for your publication? With the AlterNet
      syndication service you'll have access to thousands of
      articles on a wide range of topics, with extensive archives
      updated each week. Bring what Brill's Content calls "News
      and opinion that are hard to find in most other media
      outlets" to your Web site, newspaper or magazine. For more
      information contact info@....

      -30-

      for the first time, set the "Delivery Mode" to "Read On The Web Only")
      Questions/Problems: Send email to <worker-laamn-announce@...>