War, there are no other choices, we are assured dipolomatically

  • scotpeden
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7 9:56 PM
      "The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight
      wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry

      "Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the
      nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those
      to examine any refutations of them." - Mark Twain (1835-1910), American
      author and satirist

      "Lying and war are always associated. Listen closely when you hear a
      war-maker try to defend his current war: If he moves his lips he's lying."
      - Philip Berrigan (1923-2002), American peace activist and former Roman
      Catholic priest

      "If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American
      president would have been hanged." - Noam Chomsky

      "War is the health of a totalitarian state. And peace is its disease." -
      Norman Mailer

      "We must make clear to the Germans that the wrong for which their fallen
      leaders are on trial is not that they lost the war, but that they started
      it." - Robert H. Jackson was the chief United States prosecutor at the
      Nuremberg Trials.

      "To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international
      crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war
      crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the
      whole." Robert H. Jackson was the chief United States prosecutor at the
      Nuremberg Trials.

      "Understand that all battles are waged on an unconscious level before they
      are begun on the conscious one, and this battle is no different. The power
      structure wishes us to believe that the only options available are those
      which they present to us, we know this is simply not true, and therefore
      we must redefine the terrain of this conflict, and clearly, it is a
      conflict of worldviews and agendas." - Teresa Stover

      "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by
      his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about
      them." - George Orwell

      "When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses
      over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker
      a raving lunatic." Dresden James.

      "The term propaganda rings melodramatic and exaggerated, but a press
      that-whether from fear, careerism, or conviction-uncritically recites
      false government claims and reports them as fact, or treats elected
      officials with a reverence reserved for royalty, cannot be accurately
      described as engaged in any other function." - Glenn Greenwald

      "The greatest threat to peace is the barrage of rightist propaganda
      portraying war as decent, honorable, and patriotic." - Jeannette Rankin

      "The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and
      opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society.
      Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of societyconstitute an
      invisible government which is the true ruling power of our
      country."-Edward Bernays, Propaganda

      "It is possible to "regiment the public mind every bit as much as an army
      regiments their bodies." These new techniques of regimentation of minds,
      he said, had to be used by the intelligent minorities in order to make
      sure that the slobs stay on the right course. We can do it now because we
      have these new techniques." - Noam Chomsky

      "The use of large-scale military force in volatile regions of
      underdeveloped countries is difficult to do right, has major unintended
      consequences and rarely turns out to be quick, effective, controlled and
      short lived." - Dennis Cutler Blair - Former United States Director of
      National Intelligence and is a retired United States Navy admiral.