Fwd: Hunger Action LA newsletter

  • John A Imani
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Frank Tamborello <frank@...>
      Date: Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM
      Subject: a real newsletter
      To: food-advocates@...

      To All Those Interested in Food and Justice...

      A (usually) weekly update on food issues, promoting access to sufficient, affordable, healthy food ---with a focus on campaigns you can become active in!

      Keep your eyes open for a separate alert about Hunger Action LA’s 2013 Awards and Dinner---Honoring Champions Against Hunger and Poverty—and your chance to nominate a Champion for this year---somebody doing this work who hasn’t been getting recognition! See www.hungeractionla.org/dinnerandawards

      September 5, 2013:

      1.     Greater West Hollywood Food Line Needs Support!

      2.      LA Food Policy Council “Healthy Food, Healthy Businesses” This Saturday Sept. 7

      3.     State Legislative Update

      4.     New  Pasadena Co Op Needs Your Help!

      5.     Editorial: The Anti Hunger Industrial Complex

      **********************************

      1.     Greater West Hollywood Food Line Needs Support!

      “Pop-up” restaurants and food trucks are trendy….but how about an older tradition, food lines for homeless people? They are under attack, an easy target for neighbors—even when they’re located in an industrial zone, as the Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition is, which has been serving up to 250 people a night for 13 years, every night of the week and holidays.

      Recently local TV reported on the issue we described last Friday

      http://www.nbclosangeles.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Free-Services-Attract-Too-Large-of-a-Crowd-for-Residents-and-Businesses-in-Hollywood/222448221

      Act now:  Please e mail the following LA City Councilmembers and tell them to allow the Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition to continue its program at its current location until they find a new location

      SAMPLE SUPPORT LETTER FOR GREATER WEST HOLLYWOOD FOOD COALITION

      Councilmember Tom LaBonge                   tom.labonge@...            213 485-3337

      Councilmember Paul Koretz                        paul.koretz@...                  213 473-7005

      Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell                  councilmember.ofarrell@...   213 473 7013

      “I am writing to communicate my support for the Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition (GWHFC).

      1. Please rescind the order from the Bureau of Street Services that the Coalition (and UCLA) not have tables or chairs set out , and change it so that the GWHFC (and UCLA)  be allowed to continue with their regular set up until they find a new location.

      2. Please use your time and resources to help the Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition find a new site to provide service daily, which they have been providing at no taxpayer expense.

      3. Please gather real data regarding any negative claims that have recently been attributed to the people served by the organization.

      Your support will greatly affect the lives of those community members who otherwise cannot advocate for themselves, will reduce the need for food solicitation and make for a more productive community.

      Thank you for your support,”

      ************

      Join us in support: Contact frank@... if you wish to become more involved in this issue

      Volunteer at GWHFC:  From The Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition : “We are  looking for new volunteers who are willing to commit to giving a minimum of 3 hours a month to help prepare the nightly meal we serve to the needy and hungry in our community. If you find you love what we do, join us weekly or every other week and become a kitchen supervisor in charge of preparing the meal!

      We are able to serve a very high quality meal every night thanks to the caterers, restaurants, grocery stores, and bakeries who donate excess food from their establishments to our organization.  We use this donated food to prepare a nightly meal consisting of casseroles, soup, salad, bread, sandwiches, fruit, dessert and beverage for between 100 and 200 people.

      We call our nightly meal preparation “creative cooking”.  We see what has been donated that day and from these ingredients we create our meal—no recipes included.  Join us!  We need you.  Please contact Sebastian at slemire@...

      2.     LA Food Policy Council “Healthy Food, Healthy Businesses” This Saturday Sept. 7

      Presented by the Los Angeles Food Policy Council, "Healthy Foods, Healthy Businesses" is a business and leadership training geared to local grocery store owners, corner store owners, restaurants and all aspiring food entrepreneurs to share resources and training, both in general business development and in healthy food retail.

      This FREE event will be held from 9 AM - 5 PM at the Los Angeles Trade Technical College, 400 W. Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90015.

      Register by phone - 323.452.3890

      Register by email - healthymarkets@...

      Register on Eventbrite - neighborhoodmarkets2013.eventbrite.com

      We are also still looking for Korean speaking volunteers for the day! Free lunch offered to all half day and full day volunteers.

      Contact epark@...  if interested.

      ***********************************

      3.     State Legislative Update

      SB 283: This commonsense bill to remove counterproductive ban on food aid to people with past felonies was axed in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. But the fight is not ending there. For more information on next steps regarding this issue contact Jessica Bartholow, jbartholow@...

      AB 551: This bill allows counties and cities to create Urban Agriculture Incentive Zones in which property owners would get reduced property tax liability in exchange for contracting their vacant land for urban ag use for 5 years. This bill passed appropriations and could be going to the Senate tomorrow! Contact Eli Zigas ezigas@...

      SB 402: SB 402 has passed out of both houses and is now headed to Governor Jerry Brown's Desk! This bill would require all general acute care hospitals and special hospitals that have a perinatal unit to adopt the "Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding". Sample letter http://www.calwic.org/policy-center/state

      AB 191: This bill to align Medi Cal and CalFresh passed Appropriations and heads soon to the Senate floor: see alert here: http://cfpa.net/calfresh/ab-191-passes-senate-appropriations#more-2862

      4.New  Pasadena Co Op Needs Your Help!

      From founders of Arroyo Food Co-op: Help start a co-op!  Help save the world!  Support the Arroyo Food Co-op.

      Co-ops save the world, one community at a time.  As a local, community owned grocery store, the Arroyo Food Co-op will bring healthy, sustainable, environmentally responsible food to the Pasadena community.  We have a location, we have an activated membership, now we just need your help...okay, okay, we need your money too.

      Check out our Indiegogo campaign video, contribute, spread the word, and help us make good food available to everyone. Here's the link: http://igg.me/at/arroyofoodcoop/x/4411193

      Any questions?  Want to get involved?  Contact Tricia Keane, President of the Board of the Arroyo Food Co-op, at tricia@... and check out our website www.arroyofoodcoop.com .

      5.Editorial: The Anti Hunger Industrial Complex

      Andy Fisher has been at the forefront of the community food movement since its inception in the mid 1990s, as the co-founder and former executive director of the Community Food Security Coalition. He is currently working on a book about the anti-hunger field, and is also in the process of starting a new organization focused on food policy. This editorial comments on the presence of Fortune 500 companies on the boards of large anti-hunger organizations, and if that conflicts with the true policy of ending hunger through fair wages and justice in labor:

      MORE INFO ON COMMUNICATION:

      Welcome to all the new people on the list. If you wish to respond, or use a different e mail, or be removed from the list,  please respond to frank@... .  DO NOT reply to THIS email: it won’t go anywhere. Use frank@...

      Follow us on Twitter @HungerActionLA .Like our  Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hunger-Action-Los-Angeles/133467296826961

      2013-2014 Peoples Guide is here! PDF:    www.hungeractionla.org/peoplesguide   . Order hard copies  Place your order at orders@... .

      Frank Tamborello

      Hunger Action Los Angeles