#YaBastaDelChantajeDePolar - Venezuelan Peasants Rel aunch the “War on Latifundio” in Lara State

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2013
      1. #*YaBastaDelChantajeDePolar*<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23YaBastaDelChantajeDePolar&src=hash>

      2. [image: Hands Off Venezuela]*Hands Off Venezuela*
      @*HOVcampaign*<https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign>
      4h <https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign/status/333916291675082752>

      increasing anger at role played by POLAR food monopoly in scarcity,
      hoarding and speculation against revolution
      #*YaBastaDelChantajeDePolar*<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23YaBastaDelChantajeDePolar&src=hash>
      *Expand* <https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign/status/333916291675082752>
      3. [image: Hands Off Venezuela]*Hands Off Venezuela*
      @*HOVcampaign*<https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign>

      in Venezuela
      #*TwoThingsThatDontMixWell*<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TwoThingsThatDontMixWell&src=hash>are
      private companies producing for profit and guaranteeing everyone
      access
      to basic food products
      *Expand* <https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign/status/333915627263762433>
      4. [image: Hands Off Venezuela]*Hands Off Venezuela*
      @*HOVcampaign*<https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign>

      1,200 kg of rice seized, former police director arrested in Zulia in
      operation against food smuggling http://aporrea.org/contraloria/n2
      28679.html � <http://t.co/BrRXeX7DhQ>
      *Expand* <https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign/status/333906178830659584>
      5. [image: Hands Off Venezuela]*Hands Off Venezuela*
      @*HOVcampaign*<https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign>

      Sucre state trade union organisations demand jail sentences for those
      guilty of hoarding & speculation http://aporrea.org/contraloria/n2
      28715.html � <http://t.co/yVerrbglB9> via
      @*aporrea*<https://twitter.com/aporrea>
      *Expand* <https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign/status/333905802324758530>
      6. [image: Hands Off Venezuela]*Hands Off Venezuela*
      @*HOVcampaign*<https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign>

      5th anniversary SIDOR renationalisation by Chavez in response to
      workers' struggle http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/chavez_renatio
      nalises_sidor.htm � <http://t.co/dEVuBMiH9E>
      pic.twitter.com/SqETgOC6Z5<http://t.co/SqETgOC6Z5>

      Venezuelan Peasants Relaunch the �War on Latifundio� in Lara State

      May 12th 2013, by Chris Carlson
      [image: "War on the large landholders - Revolutionary Current Bolivar
      and Zamora" (Chris Carlson/ Venezuelanalysis.com)]

      "War on the large landholders - Revolutionary Current Bolivar and Zamora"
      (Chris Carlson/ Venezuelanalysis.com)

      Punto Fijo, May 12th, 2013 (Venezuelanalysis.com) � Landless peasants from
      the western state of Lara announced they were relaunching the �war on
      latifundio� last week when hundreds of them invaded and occupied a large
      estate belonging to the local elite.

      The estate is known as *Hacienda La Horqueta*, and belongs to the Tamayo
      Sigala family, one of the wealthiest families in the state of Lara.

      The peasants who organized the occupation are from a local peasant
      movement, as well as a local communal council that have been demanding for
      several years that the state institutions expropriate and redistribute the
      lands.

      The peasant groups claim the lands are unproductive, and have made several
      requests to the National Lands Institute (INTI) to intervene, but have yet
      to receive a response.

      According to the peasants, the delay is due to interference from local
      Chavista mayor Luis Plaza who is attempting to purchase the lands for
      himself in order to annex them to his farm that is adjacent to the*Hacienda
      La Horqueta*.

      Below we have translated the full statement released on Friday from the
      peasant movement:

      *The fight for these lands has brought with it the assassination attempt
      against one of our members three months ago, and the brutal repression of 9
      peasants who were imprisoned by the National Guard that was sent by the
      Chavista mayor of Quibor. PSUV Mayor Luis Plaza is trying to use his
      position of power to take over this land and expand his agro-industry from
      the surrounding lands.*

      *In this situation it was the solidarity and popular movements that made
      then Minister of Agriculture Juan Carlos Loyo intervene to get our members
      released from prison and to commit to redistributing this land in the weeks
      that followed. With that goal, a commission travelled to Caracas and was
      received by INTI officials, and the Vice-Minister of Agriculture, who left
      the local INTI office of Lara in charge of resolving the problem. However,
      despite our repeated demands nothing has happened, even though in the lead
      up to the presidential elections the Vice-Minister promised a solution the
      week following the April 14th elections.*

      *To this day there has been no response, and we are conscious of the
      political situation that the country has been experiencing since December
      2012. But we are also convinced that the revolution and the government
      activities cannot become paralyzed and left to the whims of the bureaucracy
      and those who have infiltrated the revolution. No one can say that our
      legitimate actions as a popular movement, in this case a peasant movement,
      are aiding the right wing. To do that is to turn the revolution over to the
      demands and whims of the fascist counterrevolution that will not cease its
      attempts to overthrow the government of Nicolas Maduro and defeat the
      Bolivarian Revolution, no matter how hard the government tries to create a
      climate of peace and dialogue.*

      *From the grassroots we send a message to the new Minister of Agriculture,
      Ivan Gil, to intervene and find a solution to this conflict, which is
      representative of hundreds of other conflicts over land that exist across
      the country and that have unfortunately been shelved by the bureaucracy and
      lack of political will among many state officials.*

      *We the poor peasants, who get around on foot, who eat nothing but arepas
      with beans, when it is available, have been the most consistent and loyal
      to Comandante Chavez. And it hurts us deeply to see how the bureaucracy,
      inefficiency, and inaction are killing that seed of hope that Chavez
      planted. To not act according to his legacy leaves us asking the question,
      �Why did the fascist candidate get so many votes?� We are convinced that we
      must do as Chavez said, Review, Rectify, And Relaunch the revolution, and
      the War on Latifundio, and we must do it here and now, honestly and
      concretely. We want to call attention to the danger that our families in,
      as we could be victims of assassinations and repression, and we do not want
      this to happen. It is for this reason that we call on the government to
      take action.*

      *MOVIMIENTO CAMPESINO DE BURIA*

      *CONCEJO CAMPESINO "MUJERES Y HOMBRES LIBRES DE LA COMPUERTA*