Nationalism shackles freedom

  • scotpeden
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2013
      "No man survives when freedom fails, The best men rot in filthy jails, And
      those who cry 'appease, appease' Are hanged by those they tried to
      please.": Hiram Mann

      Our country is the world, our countrymen are all mankind. We love the land
      of our nativity, only as we love all other lands. The interests, rights,
      and liberties of American citizens are no more dear to us than are those
      of the whole human race. Hence we can allow no appeal to patriotism, to
      revenge any national insult or injury:
      William Lloyd Garrison, Declaration of Sentiments, Boston Peace
      Conference, 1838

      "Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains." : Jean-Jacques
      Rousseau - (1712-1778) Political philosopher, educationist and essayist
      -Source: The Social Contract

      " No one is guilty. The world is bombed and burned and devastated and
      those who do it are perfectly innocent. They are "exponents" or "factors"
      or something equally clever, not men, not moral, responsible beings under
      God. I wouldn't give a red cent for such talk."
      Hermann Hesse
      author (1877-1962)