Our problem is civil obedience: Quotes from ICH

  • scotpeden
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2013
      "For those who stubbornly seek freedom, there can be no more urgent task
      than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination.
      These are easy to perceive in the totalitarian societies, much less so in
      the system of 'brainwashing under freedom' to which we are subjected and
      in which all too often we serve as unwilling instruments."Noam Chomsky

      "With numbing regularity good people were seen to knuckle under the
      demands of authority and perform actions that were callous and severe. Men
      who are in everyday life responsible and decent were seduced by the
      trappings of authority, by the control of their perceptions, and by the
      uncritical acceptance of the experimenter's definition of the situation,
      into performing harsh acts. A substantial proportion of people do what
      they are told to do, irrespective of the content of the act and without
      limitations of conscience, so long as they perceive that the command comes
      from a legitimate authority" Stanley Milgram, 1965

      Milgram was a psychologist who performed a series of experiments that
      proved conclusively that obedience to authority was so ingrained in the
      average US citizen they were prepared to cause lethal harm to others when
      instructed by authority figures to do so. -http://tinyurl.com/2vf8j

      "Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience.
      Our problem is that numbers of people all over the world have obeyed the
      dictates of the leaders of their government and have gone to war, and
      millions have been killed because of this obedience. Our problem is that
      people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and
      starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people
      are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while
      the grand thieves are running and robbing the country. That's our
      problem.": Howard Zinn, from 'Failure to Quit'