Corporations get the vote?

  • scotpeden
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2013
      If you thought your vote wasn't worth enough before, this is to let you
      know that it is going to be worth even less, unless you fight for your
      right to be represented above the interests of Corporations now legal
      voting rights, their dollars against you single vote.

      Hi Scott,

      Here is a link to the story on our website:

      Here is a link to the article mentioned in the email blast:

      Here is the text of the email:

      The headline reads, “Montana Considers Giving Corporations The Right To
      Vote” — laughable if it weren’t true.

      Legislator Steve Lavin, a member of American Legislative Exchange Council
      (ALEC), introduced the bill, which to the legislature’s credit was
      quickly tabled in committee. Even the most uninformed citizen understands
      that voting is for people, not corporations.

      Wait a minute, following this attempt to endow more rights to corporations
      by giving them the vote, the Supreme Court heard arguments to weaken key
      provisions of the Voting Rights Act (VRA). After a number of states passed
      ALEC-sponsored Voter ID laws last summer, and this latest exploit to
      undermine the VRA, it is clear there’s an effort to minimize the power
      of ‘we the people’ by limiting our access to the ballot box, while
      simultaneously maximizing the power of corporations and businesses by
      giving them the vote.

      Please sign the Motion to Amend petition:

      It may sound completely wacky, but this is an obvious next step for
      corporations because they are legally recognized as people. It’s a good
      thing that the Move to Amend Coalition is educating and organizing in
      communities across the nation. Only a grassroots movement determined to
      restore the power of ‘we the people’ can overcome the money and power
      behind ALEC.

      In order to be effective, we must keep growing our community, which is why
      we have set a goal of 500,000 signatures on our Motion to Amend petition
      by year’s end, nearly doubling our supporters. It doesn’t matter which
      side of the aisle you sit on. Ours is a non-partisan—and winning
      issue--in red and blue districts alike. It’s in every person’s best

      Please sign the petition!

      We want people voting, including those protected by the VRA, and we
      certainly don’t want corporations endowed with the right to vote. Help
      us build a movement with power enough to reestablish ‘we the people’
      as the sovereign rulers of this great nation. Sign the petition today.

      Thanks for taking action,

      Ashley Sanders, Ben Manski, Daniel Lee, David Cobb, Egberto Willies,
      George Friday, Jerome Scott, Kaitlin Sopoci-Belknap, Laura Bonham, Nancy

      Move to Amend National Leadership Team

      I hope that helps!