Jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan set to announce 'historic' ceasefire - TURKEY -

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013
      *On February 16, 1999 Kurdistan Workers' Party, Abdullah Ocalan leader was
      caught in Kenya after leaving the Greek embassy where he was hiding, after
      being deported by the Assad Syrian regime in 1998.*
      *
      *
      *The CIA,MOSSAD and MIT worked to capture him.*

      Jailed PKK leader set to announce 'historic' ceasefire - TURKEY - FRANCE 24

      The jailed leader of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party, Abdullah
      Ocalan, was set to announce a "historic" ceasefire with Turkey on Thursday
      and a possible end to a three-decade conflict that has killed tens of
      thousands.

      Read more at www.france24.com<http://www.france24.com/en/20130321-jailed-pkk-leader-ocalan-announce-ceasefire-turkey-kurd?ns_campaign=editorial&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=reseaux_sociaux&ns_fee=&ns_linkname=20130321_jailed_pkk_leader_ocalan_announce_ceasefire&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>

      Turkey Special: Kurdish Leader Ocalan "Nearing Deal" with
      Erdogan<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/3/18/turkey-special-kurdish-leader-ocalan-nearing-deal-with-erdog.html>

      inShare

      Monday, March 18, 2013 at 7:54 | Ali
      Yenidunya<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/author/ali-yenidunya>
      in EA Middle East and
      Turkey<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/category/ea-middle-east-and-turkey>
      , Middle East and
      Iran<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/category/middle-east-and-iran>

      So now we know the basis of reports that there may be a "solution of the
      Kurdish issue". Speculation, sometimes fed by the Erdogan Government, has
      risen amid a renewal of meetings with the imprisoned leader of the PKK
      insurgency, Abdullah Ocalan, on Imrali Island. However, it is with the leak
      of Ocalan's conversation with pro-Kurdish MPs that speculation has turned
      into expectation.

      *What Did Ocalan Say?*

      According to the records, confirmed by the oppositon BDP, Ocalan approved
      of Ankara's approach to find a solution, giving letters to the deputies to
      be delivered to PKK leaders in northern Iraq and across Europe.

      Ocalan made six points in
      response<http://haber.sol.org.tr/devlet-ve-siyaset/iste-ocalan-ve-bdp-heyetinin-gorusme-tutanaklari-haberi-68965>
      :

      The PKK head said that he gave Erdogan's Justice and Development Party
      (AKP) a deal, including Kurdish autonomy, "on a silver plate" --- the
      insurgency had stopped attacks, but Erdogan "understood that he got more
      space from the State mechanisms the more he hit the PKK".

      Secondly, Ocalan pointed to a conspiracy which could undermine the peace
      process, after a judicial attempt to remove intelligence director Hakan
      Fidan last year. He claimed that Fidan has been integral to negotiations
      and that his departure could pull down the Erdogan Government.

      Speaking to BDP deputy Ahmet Altan, Ocalan said:

      *You know the organisation on the right. Contra-guerrilla is USA-based.
      They took over judiciary and police. The MIT (National Intelligence
      Organisation) is stronger than the military, the prosecutor called but they
      did not go. For me, it is a resistance. Erdogan will take his revenge.
      Let�s say, God willing, he will do so!*

      Thirdly, Ocalan said that the PKK could support the AKP's Presidential
      system with one condition: a bicameral Parliament, as in the US, Britain,
      and Russia. He said one chamber would be "a State Parliament� and the other
      as a �democratic parliament� or �people�s parliament&rsquo.

      Ocalan emphasised this distribution of power: "I am against the AKP�s
      hegemony."

      Fourthly, Ocalan stressed the demand for security of Kurdish rights,
      �Collective rights and the Kurdish reform code will be put through. If we
      [only] insist on democratic autonomy, this will be sabotaged.�

      Fifthly, Ocalan defined his understanding of the political steps, linked to
      a withdrawal of PKK forcee from Turkey:

      *The PKK even does not understand me... It won�t be a withdrawal as they
      understand....I am sharing their concerns. My documents propose
      disengagement that will satisfy their concerns. The first one is A
      Philosophical Approach to Democratic Peace Process which is comprised of 10
      articles; the second one is Democratic Solution Plan which is comprised of
      10 articles and the last one is Democratic Peace�s Action Plan which should
      be implemented in three phases.*

      Ocalan said that these documents will be announced on Thursday on Newroz,
      the Spring Festival. He then spoke to both the Government and his followers:

      **

      *You must know that my move will let the conspiracy down. I am overcoming
      the conspiracy. If I succeed, there will be no KCK (Kurdistan Communities
      Union) prisoners. If this does not happen, there will be a
      50-thousand-people�s war. People will die, I will live and let live.
      Everyone must know that we will neither live, nor will wage war as we did
      in the past. I have faith in myself. You must know that neither me nor the
      state can give up now. It is a historical transition into peaceful and
      democratic life.*

      *Who Leaked The Conversations and Why?*

      The first scenario is that the Government leaked the records to pressure
      the opposition BDP. The problem with the explanation is that it points to
      weakness within Erdogan's administration, indicating that they cannot
      safeguard the negotiations by maintaining secrecy.

      The second scenario is that the BDP leaked, supporting Ocalan's efforts to
      minimise any internal challenge to his leadership. At the same time, the
      BDP would boost its role as an interlocutor of the talks.

      At the same time, the BDP cannot be seen as deliberately leaking the
      conversations. So it has held an internal investigation, declaring that
      those responsible have been "fired".

      *What Are the Next Stages?*

      EA reported on 10 January that the plan for an agreement was going to
      be in four
      phases<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/1/10/turkey-analysis-a-big-opportunity-ankaras-talks-with-impriso.html>
      .

      The first has happened with Ocalan's letters to the PKK leadership in
      northern Iraq and Europe. Responses have been submitted to State officials,
      to be delivered to Ocalan, and another BDP official arriving on Imrali on
      Monday. Ocalan will then declare the PKK's official position.&

      The second step is the freeing of thousands of Kurdish detainees and
      acceleraton of the process for the new Constitution. Some KCK detainees
      have been already been
      released<http://www.radikal.com.tr/radikal.aspx?aType=RadikalDetayV3&ArticleID=1125140&CategoryID=78>
      from
      prisons, thanks to the fourth judicial package. The rest are hoping to be
      released soon.

      During this second phase, the AKP might need the BDP's support for the
      Constitution if they are putting it to a referendum. In return, the BDP
      will ask for a "more democratic" protecting the rights of Kurds and allowed
      them to establish recognised political institutions.

      In the third phase, the Government will put forth further
      confidence-building measures, such as the gradual removal of barriers to
      education in a mother language, a general definition of citizenship of the
      Turkish Republic rather than identity as a �Turk�, and removal of the
      reservations to the European Charter of Local Self-Government.

      Finally, the PKK will disarm and and the Government will put Ocalan under
      house arrest as it issues a general amnesty for the insurgents.

      Put bluntly: could this be a turning point for Turkey?

      http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/3/18/turkey-special-kurdish-leader-ocalan-nearing-deal-with-erdog.html