Quotes

  • scotpeden
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 20, 2013
      "Most of the 'pictures in our heads' we have gained from these media-even
      to the point where we often do not really believe what we see before us
      until we read about it in the paper or hear about it on the radio."-
      C Wright Mills, The Power Elite

      "Fundamental deceptions damage the public's ability to maintain a rational
      view of the world. Once a basic untruth is rooted, it blurs a society's
      perception of reality and, consequently, the intelligence with which
      society reacts to events."- Ben H. Bagdikian, The New Media Monopoly

      "The worst forms of tyranny, or certainly the most successful ones, are
      not those we rail against but those that so insinuate themselves into the
      imagery of our consciousness, and the fabric of our lives, as not to be
      perceived as tyranny" Michael Parenti

      "When faced with a choice between confronting an unpleasant reality and
      defending a set of comforting and socially accepted beliefs, most people
      choose the later course." W. Lance Bennett.

      "... man's capacity to forget is unlimited."- Jacques Ellul, Propaganda

      <http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=iqnuv6bab&v=001T68Z-93cJFYKFEQ4742eNgHTYDuV6GZp2IKAzdnBXIztQ3j9xdIByr2p1q7hkESG9_sfulbQFCnCb125nNPa9nfAG0nOePZR8RML8XncqZPGMhYmu2fuqrvmOGwMf0C6>
    • scotpeden
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 12 10:52 PM
        "The number of those who undergo the fatigue of judging for themselves is
        very small indeed." - Richard Brinsley Sheridan, The Critic

        "Responsibility to yourself means refusing to let others do your thinking,
        talking, and naming for you; it means learning to respect and use your own
        brains and instincts; hence, grappling with hard work." - Adrienne Rich

        "History can come in handy. If you were born yesterday, with no knowledge
        of the past, you might easily accept whatever the government tells you.
        But knowing a bit of history--while it would not absolutely prove the
        government was lying in a given instance--might make you skeptical, lead
        you to ask questions, make it more likely that you would find out the
        truth." - Howard Zinn

        "Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the
        idea you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have
        owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important
        land, they own and control the corporations that've long since bought and
        paid for, the senate, the congress, the state houses, the city halls,
        they got the judges in their back pocket, and they own all the big media
        companies so they control just about all of the news and the information
        you get to hear. They got you by the balls.

        They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying to get what they want.
        Well, we know what they want. They want more for themselves and less for
        everybody else. But I'll tell you what they don't want. They don't want a
        population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well
        informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not
        interested in that. That doesn't help them." - George Carlin
      • scotpeden
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2013
          "If citizens cannot trust that laws will be enforced in an evenhanded and
          honest fashion, they cannot be said to live under the rule of law.
          Instead, they live under the rule of men corrupted by the law." - Dale
          Carpenter, Flagrant Conduct: The Story of Lawrence v. Texas

          "In every age it has been the tyrant, the oppressor and the exploiter who
          has wrapped himself in the cloak of patriotism, or religion, or both to
          deceive and overawe the People." - Eugene Victor Debs - Canton, OH,
          Anti-War Speech, June 16, 1918 -

          "When one with honeyed words but evil mind, persuades the mob, great woes
          befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes
        • scotpeden
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 27, 2013
            "There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do
            anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own Soul.
            One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by
            making the darkness conscious."
            - C.G. Jung

            "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for
            others?"
            - Martin Luther King Jr.