THE LAST LETTER - A Message to George W. Bush & Dick Cheney from Tomas Young, a Dying Iraq War Veteran ~ A Movie Pro duced by Phil Donahue was Made about Tomas Young Titled: " BODY OF WAR"

  • Frank Dorrel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013
      The Last Letter - A Message to George W. Bush & Dick Cheney from Tomas
      Young, a Dying Iraq War Veteran:
      www.truthdig.com/dig/item/the_last_letter_20130318/?ln ~ A Movie Produced
      by Phil Donahue was made about Tomas Young Titled: "BODY OF WAR" -
      www.bodyofwar.com
      I write this letter on the 10th anniversary of the Iraq War on behalf of my
      fellow Iraq War veterans. I write this letter on behalf of the 4,488
      soldiers and Marines who died in Iraq. I write this letter on behalf of the
      hundreds of thousands of veterans who have been wounded and on behalf of
      those whose wounds, physical and psychological, have destroyed their lives.
      I am one of those gravely wounded. I was paralyzed in an insurgent ambush in
      2004 in Sadr City. My life is coming to an end. I am living under hospice
      care.
      I write this letter on behalf of husbands and wives who have lost spouses,
      on behalf of children who have lost a parent, on behalf of the fathers and
      mothers who have lost sons and daughters and on behalf of those who care for
      the many thousands of my fellow veterans who have brain injuries. I write
      this letter on behalf of those veterans whose trauma and self-revulsion for
      what they have witnessed, endured and done in Iraq have led to suicide and
      on behalf of the active-duty soldiers and Marines who commit, on average, a
      suicide a day. I write this letter on behalf of the some 1 million Iraqi
      dead and on behalf of the countless Iraqi wounded. I write this letter on
      behalf of us all-the human detritus your war has left behind, those who will
      spend their lives in unending pain and grief.
      I write this letter, my last letter, to you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney. I
      write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral
      consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power. I
      write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that
      I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of
      my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the
      Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done. You may evade
      justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of
      plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young
      Americans-my fellow veterans-whose future you stole.
      Your positions of authority, your millions of dollars of personal wealth,
      your public relations consultants, your privilege and your power cannot mask
      the hollowness of your character. You sent us to fight and die in Iraq after
      you, Mr. Cheney, dodged the draft in Vietnam, and you, Mr. Bush, went AWOL
      from your National Guard unit. Your cowardice and selfishness were
      established decades ago. You were not willing to risk yourselves for our
      nation but you sent hundreds of thousands of young men and women to be
      sacrificed in a senseless war with no more thought than it takes to put out
      the garbage.
      I joined the Army two days after the 9/11 attacks. I joined the Army because
      our country had been attacked. I wanted to strike back at those who had
      killed some 3,000 of my fellow citizens. I did not join the Army to go to
      Iraq, a country that had no part in the September 2001 attacks and did not
      pose a threat to its neighbors, much less to the United States. I did not
      join the Army to "liberate" Iraqis or to shut down mythical
      weapons-of-mass-destruction facilities or to implant what you cynically
      called "democracy" in Baghdad and the Middle East. I did not join the Army
      to rebuild Iraq, which at the time you told us could be paid for by Iraq's
      oil revenues. Instead, this war has cost the United States over $3 trillion.
      I especially did not join the Army to carry out pre-emptive war. Pre-emptive
      war is illegal under international law. And as a soldier in Iraq I was, I
      now know, abetting your idiocy and your crimes. The Iraq War is the largest
      strategic blunder in U.S. history. It obliterated the balance of power in
      the Middle East. It installed a corrupt and brutal pro-Iranian government in
      Baghdad, one cemented in power through the use of torture, death squads and
      terror. And it has left Iran as the dominant force in the region. On every
      level-moral, strategic, military and economic-Iraq was a failure. And it was
      you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, who started this war. It is you who should pay
      the consequences.
      I would not be writing this letter if I had been wounded fighting in
      Afghanistan against those forces that carried out the attacks of 9/11. Had I
      been wounded there I would still be miserable because of my physical
      deterioration and imminent death, but I would at least have the comfort of
      knowing that my injuries were a consequence of my own decision to defend the
      country I love. I would not have to lie in my bed, my body filled with
      painkillers, my life ebbing away, and deal with the fact that hundreds of
      thousands of human beings, including children, including myself, were
      sacrificed by you for little more than the greed of oil companies, for your
      alliance with the oil sheiks in Saudi Arabia, and your insane visions of
      empire.
      I have, like many other disabled veterans, suffered from the inadequate and
      often inept care provided by the Veterans Administration. I have, like many
      other disabled veterans, come to realize that our mental and physical wounds
      are of no interest to you, perhaps of no interest to any politician. We were
      used. We were betrayed. And we have been abandoned. You, Mr. Bush, make much
      pretense of being a Christian. But isn't lying a sin? Isn't murder a sin?
      Aren't theft and selfish ambition sins? I am not a Christian. But I believe
      in the Christian ideal. I believe that what you do to the least of your
      brothers you finally do to yourself, to your own soul.
      My day of reckoning is upon me. Yours will come. I hope you will be put on
      trial. But mostly I hope, for your sakes, that you find the moral courage to
      face what you have done to me and to many, many others who deserved to live.
      I hope that before your time on earth ends, as mine is now ending, you will
      find the strength of character to stand before the American public and the
      world, and in particular the Iraqi people, and beg for forgiveness.
      Tomas Young
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      BODY OF WAR, a film by Ellen Spiro and Phil Donahue, premiered at the
      Toronto International Film Festival to several standing ovations and
      acclaim. It won Best Documentary from the prestigious National Board of
      Review and was nominated for Best Documentary from Producer's Guild of
      America. Body of War was short-listed for an Oscar nomination for Best
      Documentary and was released theatrically through Landmark Theatres. Phil
      Donahue and Ellen Spiro were featured in a special on Bill Moyers:
      www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03212008/watch2.html as well as appearing on all
      the major networks and publications.

      BODY Of WAR is an intimate and transformational feature documentary about
      the true face of war today. Meet Tomas Young, 25 years old, paralyzed from a
      bullet to his spine - wounded after serving in Iraq for less than a week.

      BODY Of WAR is Tomas' coming home story as he evolves into a new person,
      coming to terms with his disability and finding his own unique and
      passionate voice against the war. The film is produced and directed by Phil
      Donahue and Ellen Spiro, and features two original songs by Eddie Vedder.
      Body of War is a naked and honest portrayal of what it's like inside the
      body, heart and soul of this extraordinary and heroic young man.

      BODY Of WAR unfolds on two parallel tracks. On the one hand, we see Tomas
      evolving into a powerful voice against the war as he struggles to deal with
      the complexities of a paralyzed body. And on the other, we see the historic
      debate unfolding in the Congress about going to war in Iraq.

      www.bodyofwar.com