KPFK Presents: A Women's History Month Celebration & Teach-In with Special Guest Cynthia McKinney ~ Thursday, March 21st, 7:00 PM at Jewel's Catch One ~ With Lila Garrett, Jewel Thais, Amitis Motevalli, LaaLaa Shakur, Charlene Muhammad & Elisa Mejia

  • Frank Dorrel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20 4:26 AM
      KPFK 90.7 FM Presents
      A Women's History Month Celebration & Teach-In!
      WOMEN of POWER on the POWER of WOMEN"
      With Special Guest Former U.S. Representative from Georgia
      CYNTHIA McKINNEY

      Thursday, March 21st - 7:00 to 10:00 PM
      At Jewel's Catch One - 4067 W. Pico Blvd, Los Angeles 90019
      $10 Suggested Donation. No One Turned Away for Lack of Funds!
      Educational/Cultural Panel Includes:
      KPFK's Lila Garrett (Connect the Dots) * Jewel Thais (Village Health
      Foundation)
      Amitis Motevalli (Transnational Artist/Feminist) * LaaLaa Shakur (Black
      Riders' Liberation Party)
      KPFK's Sister Charlene Muhammad (Liberated Sisters) * KPFK's Elisa Mejia
      (Insurgencia Femenina)
      KPFK Feminist Magazine Collective
      PERFORMANCES by Sheila Nicholls, Xela, Danza Kalpulli Tlaltecuhtli & Others!
      Launch of the Mother's Day Peace Card Campaign
      Coordinated by Members of the KPFK Local Station Board
      Mother's Day For Peace Proclamation
      by Julia Ward Howe
      <http://womenshistory.about.com/library/bio/blbio_howe_julia_ward.htm>
      Arise then...women of this day!
      Arise, all women who have hearts!
      Whether your baptism be of water or of tears!
      Say firmly:
      "We will not have questions answered by irrelevant agencies,
      Our husbands will not come to us, reeking with carnage,
      For caresses and applause.
      Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn
      All that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience.
      We, the women of one country,
      Will be too tender of those of another country
      To allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."

      From the bosom of a devastated Earth a voice goes up with
      Our own. It says: "Disarm! Disarm!
      The sword of murder is not the balance of justice."
      Blood does not wipe out dishonor,
      Nor violence indicate possession.
      As men have often forsaken the plough and the anvil
      At the summons of war,
      Let women now leave all that may be left of home
      For a great and earnest day of counsel.
      Let them meet first, as women, to bewail and commemorate the dead.
      Let them solemnly take counsel with each other as to the means
      Whereby the great human family can live in peace...
      Each bearing after his own time the sacred impress, not of Caesar,
      But of God -
      In the name of womanhood and humanity, I earnestly ask
      That a general congress of women without limit of nationality,
      May be appointed and held at someplace deemed most convenient
      And the earliest period consistent with its objects,
      To promote the alliance of the different nationalities,
      The amicable settlement of international questions,
      The great and general interests of peace.
      Mother's Day For Peace Video by Brave New Films:
      With Gloria Steinem, Vanessa Williams, Felicity Huffman, Fatma Saleh, Alfre
      Woodard, Ashraf Salimian & Christine Lahti
      talking about the origin of Mother's Day by Julia Ward Howe as a protest
      against war.
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG73A1SkU1c
      For More Information Contact Jennifer Kaiser: jkiser@...