Mumia Abu-Jamal Reviewed ADDICTED To WAR in 2003 ~ You can both Read His Review & Listen to it. ~ "Long Distance Revolutionary: A Journey with Mumia Abu-Jamal" - Has Been Held Over for Another Week at The Laemmle Music Hall Theatre in Beverly Hills!

  • Frank Dorrel
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2013
      Dear Friends,

      What a fantastic film: "Long Distance Revolutionary - A Journey with Mumia
      Abu-Jamal". I was there last Friday night at the LA Premiere at the Laemmle
      Music Hall Theatre in Beverly Hills. I'm glad it was sold out and I'm glad
      it is being held over for another week. I did see 15 or 20 people there who
      are on my ATW-NEWS Email List. I hope the film will be seen by millions of
      people. Mumia is such an important person. I don't think there is anyone
      quite like him. Many years ago I sent him a copy of the book I have
      published titled: "ADDICTED To WAR: Why The U.S. Can't Kick Militarism" by
      Joel Andreas: www.addictedtowar.com . Mumia wrote to me telling me how much
      he liked the book and asked if I would send 3 or 4 copies to other friends
      of his who were in prison. He offered to pay me for the books. I did send
      copies to his friends but I told him I would not accept any money from him.
      I was just thrilled that he liked ATW and that he wrote to me. Later on he
      wrote a glowing review of ADDICTED To WAR that appeared on his website. I
      just now Googled it and found it in print and in his own voice. I had read
      the review all those years ago, but I had never heard his review until just
      now. Amazing! I have copied it below.

      Here is Mumia's review of ADDICTED To WAR: (5/27/03)

      Mumia Abu-Jamal's Radio Broadcasts - For Young Minds - Two Offerings

      http://archive.prisonradio.org/maj/maj_5_28_minds.html

      Listen: <http://archive.prisonradio.org/audio/mumia/maj_5_28_03c.mp3> mp3,
      3.18 MBs, 3:58 - Listen:
      http://archive.prisonradio.org/audio/mumia/maj_5_28_03c.mp3

      Years ago, at the urging of the late activist, Susan Burnett, this writer
      periodically released a booklist, which Susan promptly put up on the Web,
      and readers, especially young people, frequently wrote and commented about
      various books, some of which had a deep impression on their growth and
      development.

      Over time, that process ceased, for various reasons, among them, the passing
      of Susan.

      Sometimes a book, or booklet, comes along which makes this writer think
      about young persons, or even folks who aren't so young, because they are
      well-written, offer insights into contested arenas of history or politics,
      or offer a radical view of these areas. I especially think of young folks
      when the texts are relatively brief (probably because I remember my own
      phobias about big, thick books when I was a youngster). If the books are
      illustrated, or made in comic form, so much the better!

      Instead of a booklist, I want to discuss two relatively recent works, in the
      hope that young readers will acquire them, and hopefully learn from them,
      and maybe--just maybe-- discuss them with their friends and peers.

      1. Addicted to War: Why The U.S. Can't Kick Militarism, by Joel Andreas
      (Illustrator & Writer): As America has recently embraced the path to what
      appears to be global war, in the face of mass protests against such wars, it
      is important to expose young folks to alternative views of the roots and
      reasons for war. Addicted to War is funny, brilliant, skillfully drawn in
      black ink, and even footnoted with pages full of references. If you are a
      young person who suspects everything you've heard on the news, or read in
      the newspaper isn't on the up and up, Addicted is for you. It'll explain,
      not just recent wars (Gulf War I, Vietnam, etc.) but will reveal the
      economic and military forces that advocated war, and the weak excuses they
      utilized to get into foreign countries. It also illustrates the impact of
      war on average American people, from housewives, to school kids, and, of
      course, to those almost uncountable poor souls who bore the brunt of
      American war fever: the peoples of the world (mostly the so-called Third
      World!). Youngsters (and some older folks) will never look at war in quite
      the same way after reading this 69-page book. Addicted to War is now
      available in Japanese, and will soon come out in Korean, Spanish, and other
      languages.

      2. The Black Holocaust for Beginners, by Sam E. Anderson: Unlike Addicted
      to War , Anderson's The Black Holocaust is not a comic book. It is heavily,
      and expertly illustrated, yet what drives the book is the text, as raw as
      new wounds on the skin of the psyche. It is a brilliant telling of, not just
      the trans-Atlantic slave trade, but the equally monstrous Arab slave trade
      along the eastern shores of Africa, which lasted some 600 years longer, and
      lasts up until our age. It is written in matter-of-fact style, straight
      forward; a chilling portrayal of foreign rapes and exploitation of Africa.
      It shows that the trade in human bondage was a global process, which
      involved and impacted millions of people. It uses both classical texts (like
      Cheikh Anta Diop's Civilization or Barbarism ) and numerous records from the
      period to give the speech, and flavor of the times to illustrate how
      economic, political, and social forces converged to justify slavery, and
      exploit the labor of millions. It's not 'fun' (it's not supposed to be), but
      it is informative. It really is the roots of America and much of the West.

      I recommend both of these works to young readers in the spirit of learning
      why things are the way they are (which I consider the very essence of
      history). Enjoy!

      (Addicted to War is published by Frank Dorrel: www.addictedtowar.com and by
      AK Press (US), 674-A 23rd St., Oakland, CA 94612-1163. It's available from:
      fdorrel@... .

      The Black Holocaust for Beginners is published by Writers and Readers
      Publishing, Inc., P.O. Box 461, Village Stn., New York, NY 10014. It is part
      of the For Beginners Documentary Comic Book series, which produces books on
      a variety of complex subjects. They may be reached at (212) 982-3158)

      Long Distance Revolutionary: A Journey with Mumia Abu Jamal

      Opened In Los Angeles - Friday, March 1st

      And Has Been Held Over for Another Week

      At <http://www.laemmle.com/viewtheatre.php?thid=4> Laemmle Music Hall
      9036 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills 90211
      310-478-3836 - www.laemmle.com/viewtheatre.php?thid=4

      <http://www.laemmle.com/purchasetickets.php?m=ODgxMy0wMDQtMDMwMTIwMTMtMTIzMC
      0z> 12:30pm -
      <http://www.laemmle.com/purchasetickets.php?m=ODgxMy0wMDQtMDMwMTIwMTMtMTYwMC
      0z> 4:00pm - 7:00pm Sold-out -
      <http://www.laemmle.com/purchasetickets.php?m=ODgxMy0wMDQtMDMwMTIwMTMtMjIwMC
      0z> 10:00pm

      Laemmle's Playhouse 7
      673 East Colorado Blvd, Pasadena 91101
      310-478-3836 - www.laemmle.com/viewtheatre.php?date=02092013
      <http://www.laemmle.com/viewtheatre.php?date=02092013&thid=6> &thid=6

      Saturday & Sunday at 11:00 AM

      Laemmle's Claremont 5
      450 W 2nd Street, Claremont 91711
      310-478-3836 -
      <http://www.laemmle.com/viewtheatre.php?date=02092013&thid=17>
      www.laemmle.com/viewtheatre.php?date=02092013&thid=17

      Saturday & Sunday at 11:00 AM

      Trailer: www.firstrunfeatures.com/trailers_mumia.html

      www.firstrunfeatures.com/mumia

      <http://27.formovietickets.com:2235> MUMIA: LONG DISTANCE REVOLUTIONARY -
      (Unrated)
      2012 - USA - English - 120 minutes - First Run Features

      Directed by: Stephen Vittoria
      Featuring: Cornel West, Alice Walker, Angela Davis, Peter Coyote, Tariq Ali,
      Amy Goodman, Dick Gregory, Ruby Dee, Rubin Hurricane Carter, Giancarlo
      Esposito & Others

      Before he was convicted of murdering a policeman in 1981 and sentenced to
      die, Mumia Abu-Jamal was a gifted journalist and brilliant writer. Now,
      after more than 30 years in prison and despite attempts to silence him,
      Mumia is not only still alive but continuing to report, educate, provoke and
      inspire. Stephen Vittoria's new feature documentary is an inspiring portrait
      of a man whom many consider America's most famous political prisoner - a man
      whose existence tests our beliefs about freedom of expression. Through
      prison interviews, archival footage, and dramatic readings, and aided by a
      potent chorus of voices including Cornel West, Alice Walker, Dick Gregory,
      Angela Davis, Amy Goodman & others, this riveting film explores Mumia's life
      before, during & after Death Row - revealing, in the words of Angela Davis,
      "the most eloquent & most powerful opponent of the death penalty in the
      world...the 21st Century Frederick Douglass."

      www.freemumia.com - www.prisonradio.org