Swedish photographer Paul Hansen wins 56th World Press photo

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2013
      Swedish photographer Paul Hansen wins 56th World Press Photo

      World Press Photo of the Year 2012's winning image by Paul
      Hansen, Sweden, Dagens Nyheter. Two-year-old Suhaib Hijazi and her big
      brother Muhammad, who soon was to be four years old, were killed when
      their house was destroyed by an Israeli missile strike on Monday
      evening. Their father, Fouad, was also killed. Their mother is in
      intensive care at Al-Shifa Hospital. In accordance with their religion,
      the dead are buried quickly. The badly mangled body of Fouad is put on a stretcher and his brothers carry his dead children to the mosque for
      the burial ceremony. When darkness fell over Gaza on this day, at least
      26 new victims were to be buried. That makes the total more than 140
      dead so far since the beginning of the bombardment. Approximately half
      of the dead are women and children. The picture was taken on 20 November 2012 in Gaza City, Palestinian Territories.
      Photographer Paul Hansen, of the Swedish daily newspaper Dagens
      Nyheter, has won the 56th World Press Photo for a picture of a group of
      men carrying the bodies of two dead children through a street in Gaza
      City
      Author: Olivier Laurent
      15 Feb 2013 Tags: World press photoPhotojournalism
      "The strength of the pictures lies in the way it contrasts
      the anger and sorrow of the adults with the innocence of the children.
      It's a picture I will not forget," says Mayu Mohanna, a jury member at
      this year's World Press Photo photojournalism contest. In the image,
      two-year-old Suhaib Hijazi and her three-year-old brother Muhammad are
      being taken to a mosque for the burial ceremony, after they were killed
      when their house was destroyed by an Israeli missile strike. "Their
      father's body is carried behind on a stretcher [and] their mother was
      put in intensive care," says the Amsterdam-based organisation. "The
      picture was made on 20 November 2012 in Gaza City, Palestinian
      Territories."

      The winning image was selected from 103,481 images submitted by 5,666 photographers from 124 countries. Hansen recently won First Place in the Pictures of the Year International competition in the Photographer of the Year – Newspaper category.
      "I've always said that a picture should engage with the head, the
      heart and the stomach," says Santiago Lyon, vice president and director
      of photography at The Associated Press and chair of this year's
      jury. "Some pictures engage on all three levels. This picture for us on
      the jury reached us on these three levels. It just leapt off the screen
      for us, repeatably."
      Speaking with Hansen in a phone interview this morning, he told BJP how he felt upon winning World Press Photo. "I had very mixed emotions
      actually. I was very happy on one level, of course, and very surprised,
      and very honoured because I know the incredible quality of the work. And I was also very sad. It's a very sad situation."
      "It was of course a very emotional and charged happening," Hansen
      adds. "The event started the day before; we were sitting in a hotel near Gaza City and it's very close to a hospital where a Norwegian doctor
      was working during this crisis. He was telling this horrible story about a family whose house was hit by a rocket. They had the mother of the
      family unconscious in their ward and they were very emotionally stress
      because they knew they would have to wake her up and tell her that her
      husband and two children were dead. The next day we went to one of the
      funerals outside Gaza City and it turned out to be this family."
      Hansen doesn't yet know what winning the World Press Photo will mean
      for his career, but he hopes it will create an environment where he can
      work on more personal projects. "I think it will give me more
      opportunities to do the type of stories that I like." But he has in the
      past, he adds, received a lot of support from his newspaper. "They
      support my strange ideas of stories."
      Also, he believes that winning this prize will give "this picture,
      and this family, and all the other families who die in this cycle of
      violence another platform. It gives us the ability to communicate this
      story again, which I'm really grateful for. It think it's very important in today's media climate."
      When asked whether this win will help strenghten photographers'
      positions on the staff of daily newspapers, Hansen says he hopes so. "I
      have the luxury sometimes to work in close connection with a reporter
      and we try to stay with the issue. We don't go to one funeral and
      another, and another. For example, in 2010, I went to Haiti to cover the earthquake. Now in December, I've just came back from my sixth trip to
      Haiti, just to follow up on the story we did the first time. I think
      that type of way of working will be strengthened, thanks to this award."
      Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2244171/swedish-photographer-paul-hansen-wins-56th-world-press-photo#ixzz2L5lymaW9%c2%a0