Letter Writing Campaign: Liberal Party of Canada Attacks Venezuela

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2013
      [image: Hands Off Venezuela]*Hands Off Venezuela *@
      *HOVcampaign*<https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign>

      Workers, Peasants, youth, communal councils, revolutionary will march to
      commemorate Organisations Jan 23 <http://t.co/6OW99avX>

      [image: Hands Off Venezuela]*Hands Off Venezuela *@
      *HOVcampaign*<https://twitter.com/HOVcampaign>

      "The streets belong to the people, not the oligarchy" Dario Vivas PSUV in
      calling for massive march in Caracas January 23

      http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/karygiannis_attacks_venezuela.htm

      Solidarity Activities
      Letter Writing Campaign: Liberal Party of Canada Attacks
      Venezuela<http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/karygiannis_attacks_venezuela.htm>

      Hands Off Venezuela - Canada

      -
      <http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/karygiannis_attacks_venezuela/print.htm>
      -
      <http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/component/com_mailto/link,c363fc5708974d834846c3b71a88f9265b49a895/template,rt_camber/tmpl,component/>

      We are asking all who support Venezuela to oppose the following ignorant
      and offensive statement by Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis:

      From his website:
      http://www.jimkarygiannis.net/petition_and_action_requests/venezuelan_-_canadian_community_democratic_efforts

      �Liberal Critic for Multiculturalism Jim Karygiannis M.P.
      Scarborough-Agincourt made the following statement calling on the
      Conservative government to support the Venezuelan Diaspora in Canada
      efforts of returning true Democracy in Venezuela.

      �The people of Venezuela are suffering daily at the hands of the Hugo
      Ch�vez government, as the situation on the ground continues to deteriorate.
      We should maintain solidarity with the Venezuelan people and we must do
      what we can to help alleviate their suffering.�

      We are not sure what �true Democracy� Karygiannis is referring to. Perhaps
      he means the opposition that supported the 2002 coup against a
      democratically elected government. Perhaps he means the Elites who ran the
      country for 40 years when human rights were violated with impunity and the
      international community paid no heed to disappearances, torture, murders,
      CIA-led secret police, and the slaughter by the state forces of 3,000
      people on the Streets of Caracas in 1989.

      We are not sure what he means by �suffering�. Perhaps he is referring to
      the fact that Venezuela has:

      - Eliminated illiteracy, as recognized by UNESCO
      - Reduced poverty by half and extreme poverty by 70%
      - Given access to healthcare to millions for the first time
      - Doubled college enrolment
      - Quadrupled the number of people receiving old age pensions

      It is not surprising that the Chavez government was recently re-elected
      with 55% of the vote in a 81% turnout. And that former US President Jimmy
      Carter, whose organization the Carter Centre has monitored all the
      elections in the country, has recently declared, "I would say the election
      process in Venezuela is the best in the world."

      We suspect that the real suffering that Karygiannis and the Liberal Party
      of Canada are concerned with is that of North American and European oil
      multinationals who are no longer able to exploit Latin American resources
      with impunity due to the democratic uprising of the people of the region.
      Instead, governments like that of Venezuela are �wasting� their natural
      wealth to fund healthcare, education, and other policies that aid the
      people.

      The Venezuelan people need no lessons on democracy from Karygiannis, who
      sits in a parliament that was twice shut down by the representative of an
      unelected hereditary monarch and where barely 6 in 10 bother to cast a
      ballot.

      Hands Off Venezuela calls on Jim Karygiannis and the Liberal Party of
      Canada to withdraw this offensive and ignorant petition and issue an
      apology to the Venezuelan people, both those inside and outside Canada, and
      to the Venezuelan government.

      We encourage people to send letters of protest to:

      Jim Karygiannis
      jim@...

      And to the Leader of the Liberal Party and Leadership Contenders:

      Bob Rae
      bob.rae@...

      Justin Trudeau
      Trudeau.J@...
      info@...
      media@...

      Marc Garneau
      marc.garneau@...
      marc.garneau.a1@...

      George Takach
      info@...

      Martin Cauchon
      info@...
      media@...
      info@...
      communications@...

      CC The Official Opposition New Democrats:

      thomas.mulcair@...
      peggy.nash@...
      paul.dewar@...
      Dan.Harris@...
      rathika.sitsabaiesan@...
      JuliaP@...
      newpoliticsniki@...
      andrew.cash@...
      chris.charlton@...

      Please also forward all correspondence to:

      Canada@...