Palestinians build new E1 'settlement,' receive eviction orders from Border Police

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2013
      By Mairav Zonszein <http://972mag.com/author/mairavz/> |Published January
      10, 2013WATCH: Finally, an Israeli politician demanding Arab-Jewish unity

      A few weeks ago, I wrote a
      my personal grappling with the question of whether to vote or not in the
      election in 12 days. I�m still not sure if I will end up voting, as it
      feels to me in principal like conceding to Israel�s farcical democracy and
      a direct affront to all the disenfranchised Palestinians who live under the
      same governmental roof.

      But if I do vote, I know who I will vote for: Da�am, the Arab-Jewish
      workers� party. I�m not going to elaborate much more, at least not in this
      post (you can read their platform here <http://en.daam.org.il/?page_id=25>),
      because I think the message in the video below by the party�s
      chairwoman, Asma Agbaria Zahalka � a Palestinian citizen of Israel from
      Jaffa � says it all. It is such a simple message, but for 2013
      it is a revolutionary one. A message that you don�t hear from any
      politicians in Israel, Arab or Jewish, certainly not in such an assertive,
      unabashed, matter-of-fact-manner.

      And as for the argument that there are no politicians out there with any
      charisma, that can out-charm, or out-talk Netanyahu, I think he�s met his

      I just want to note that I happened upon this video the first time on a
      local TV channel that was playing in a supermarket in Jaffa, with subtitles
      in Arabic.

      **The views expressed here are my own and do not represent 972mag or any
      other entity. 972mag.com does not endorse any specific political party.*

      By Haggai Matar <http://972mag.com/author/haggaim/> |Published January 11,
      2013Palestinians build 'settlement' near Jerusalem, receive eviction orders
      from Border Police

      for Jewish settlers in the E1
      Palestinians set up a new tent village called Bab Al-Shams (Gate of the
      Sun). Police attempts to dismantle the new village were thwarted by a
      temporary warrant issued by the High Court of Justice.*

      Border Police order to evict the newly built Palestinian outpost, Bab
      Al-Shams, in the area of E1, January 11, 2013. (photo by: Oren

      Some 250 Palestinians, organized in part by the Popular Struggle
      Coordination Committee<http://972mag.com/the-wall-10-years-on-part-5-a-new-way-of-resistance/44656/>
      activists from several villages in struggle against the wall and
      settlements, arrived at the area known by Israel as E1 early this morning,
      and started work on their new village. Activists state that the village is
      built entirely on private lands owned by Palestinians from the nearby town
      of Al-Tur.�This is a popular response to Israel�s plan to expand its
      settlements, especially in this area,� Muhammad Khatib of the Bil�in
      Popular Committee told +972.

      Not long after the tents were set up, Border Police and Civil
      Administration forces arrived at the scene and handed out eviction notices
      to residences of the new outpost-village, threatening to return and
      demolish the erected tents shortly. Prepared in advance for such an
      occasion, activists petitioned against the demolitions to the High Court,
      which then issued a warrant delaying any eviction or demolition for six

      Palestinians building the Bab Al-Shams tent city in the E1 area between
      Jerusalem and the West Bank, January 11, 2013. (photo: Activestills)

      Israeli plans for construction in E1 as a response to success of the
      Palestinian UN bid (and partly as a message for voters in the upcoming
      elections) attracted much worldwide criticism, including from the
      For the activists, this is a popular and direct response to Israeli
      attempts at annexing the corridor between Jerusalem and Ma�ale Adumim.

      The new village is named �Bab Al-Shams,� after the landmark book by Elias
      Khoury, depicting the life of a Palestinian refugee in Lebanon who insists
      on returning to his home in the Galilee, where he manages to meet his wife
      in a secret cave called �Bab Al-Shams.�

      Palestinian activists plant a Palestinian flag in the Bab Al-Shams tent
      city in the E1 area, January 11, 2012. (photo: Activestills)

      The activists released a statement about the action:

      We, the sons and daughters of Palestine from all throughout the land,
      announce the establishment of Bab Alshams Village. We the people, without
      permits from the occupation, without permission from anyone, sit here today
      because this is our land and it is our right to inhabit it�

      We declare that the village will stand steadfast until the owners of this
      land will get their right to build on their land� Bab Alshams is the gate
      to our freedom and steadfastness. Bab Alshams is our gate to Jerusalem. Bab
      Alshams is the gate to our return.
      For decades, Israel has established facts on the ground as the
      International community remained silent in response to these violations.
      The time has come now to change the rules of the game, for us to establish
      facts on the ground � our own land. This action involving women and men
      from the north to the south is a form of popular resistance. In the coming
      days we will hold various discussion groups, educational and artistic
      presentations, as well as film screenings on the lands of this village. The
      residents of Bab Alshams invite all the sons and daughters of our people to
      participate and join the village in supporting our resilience.

      This is not the first time that Palestinians set up an outpost in the E1
      area. Previous such attempts were made in 2007
      also in 2011. Both previous attempts, made in smaller numbers than this
      action, ended with the eviction and demolition of the outsposts by Israeli

      A Palestinian tent city being constructed by the Popular Committees in the
      E1 area, January 11, 2013. The camp holds approximately 25 tents, and is
      called by the activists �Bab al-Shams� village. (photo: Oren

      *Read also:
      *Resource: What is the E1 area, and why is it so

      Following E1 decision, Israel is more isolated than ever but not likely to
      change course<http://972mag.com/resource-what-is-the-e1-area-and-why-is-it-so-important/61298/>