Re: [change-links] John Johnson Update - Good News!

  • borderactions
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2013
      It's very good news for John!

      Lee Siu Hin

      National Coordinator
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
      (http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
      Action LA Network _http://www.ActionLA.org_ (http://www.actionla.org/)
      Peace NO War Network _http://www.PeaceNOWar.net_
      (http://www.peacenowar.net/)
      Activist Video Service _http://www.ActivistVideo.org_
      (http://www.activistvideo.org/)

      New York : (212)330-8172
      Los Angeles : (213)403-0131
      Washington D.C. : (202)595-8990
      Chicago : (773)942-2268

      In a message dated 2013/1/9 16:32:53 中国标准时间, fdorrel@...
      writes:

      From Ross Altman: _Greygoosemusic@..._ (mailto:Greygoosemusic@...)

      Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:02 AM

      Dear Friends o f John,

      I saw John this afternoon and was very pleased with his progress. In just
      24 hours his breathing tube had been removed, which his nurse Arnel Guzman,
      RN said was much sooner than usual--it sometimes takes 2-3 days. John was
      able to talk--even talkative and in good spirits. His primary surgeon Dr.
      Michael Soltero had been in to see him and was satisfied that the surgery
      had gone well and John was now on the path to recovery.

      Even more impressive, the 5 or 6 bags of fluids that I saw surrounding him
      last night had also been removed and he was able to resume functioning
      without them. I was quite frankly thrilled to see him and told him so. I
      gave John the rest of your emails I received (except for Lisa's, which I'll
      take in tomorrow).

      His nurse also got him to shift position in bed so his feet were dangling
      over the side and led him through some simple leg exercises which John
      performed admirably. His nurse was also planning to have him out of bed
      tomorrow and sitting upright in a special cardiac recovery chair. He commented
      that John's responses were very strong.

      John's nurse last night, Victoria Ong, was the life-saver who intervened
      when his blood pressure was unstable and problematic by alerting the doctor
      to change his medication. John responded well to the new medication and I
      kept my eyes on the monitor throughout my visit--it was now low normal.

      All signs indicate that John will be back with us again, and publishing
      his essential newspaper, Change-Links in the near future. Thank you one and
      all for your support and letting John know how much we appreciate what he
      has done for the left over these many years--kept us in touch, and helped to
      create a true community of disparate activists.

      This will probably be my last email on John's recovery. I have no doubt we
      will hear the inside story from the horse's mouth in his next
      column--whenever he is able to resume his job of--as Menckin once defined the
      journalist--comforting the afflicted, and afflicting the comfortable. That's John,
      in a nutshell.

      Warm Regards to You All,

      Ross