Fwd: 3 big upcoming events

  • John A Imani
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2013
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Frank Tamborello <frank@...>
      Date: Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM
      Subject: 3 big upcoming events
      To: food-advocates@...

      *To All Those Interested in Food and Justice... *

      * *

      A (usually) weekly update on food issues, promoting access to sufficient,
      affordable, healthy food ---with a focus on campaigns you can become active
      in! ****

      ** **

      *Follow us *on Twitter @HungerActionLA . Welcome to all the new people on
      the list: please respond to frank@... if you wish to use a
      different e mail or be removed****

      ** **

      *Jan 4, 2013: ***

      ***1. ****Statewide Day of Action for 2013 Budget: Thurs Jan
      10 *

      ***2. ****HALA Meeting Friday Jan 18*

      ***3. ****Restaurant Opportunities Center Releases Diner�s Guide at
      Upcoming Fundraiser Wed. Jan 16 Downtown LA*

      * *

      **************************************

      *1. Statewide Day of Action for 2013 Budget: Thurs Jan 10*

      * *

      *California Partnership: Statewide Day of Action Jan 10, 2013 (Next
      Thursday) Press Conference and Rally for
      the 2013 Budget Release*

      *Reinvest in California Families, Seniors, and People with Disabilities*

      *Los Angeles Governor�s Office, 300 S Spring St. LA 90013*

      *11:45 AM*

      *Contact Astrid Campos 213 407 5840*

      *acampos@...*

      The Governor�s budget will be announced that day (sometimes they�re sneaky
      and do it sooner.) It�s anticipated that with increased revenue, we won�t
      have to be as much on the defensive as in the past about state programs
      that help the poor, seniors and disabled. This could be the year we ask for
      Reinvestment in California Families and restoration of some of the things
      lost over the years, including dental care for Medi-Cal recipients such as
      the 750,000 seniors and people with disabilities struggling on SSI in
      Southern California. More information 213 385 8010 or see contact info
      above. ****

      * *

      *2. Hunger Action LA Meeting Friday Jan. 18* ****

      Normally we meet on the 4th Friday but this year there will be a couple of
      exceptions. One of them will be the first meeting of the year. We�re having
      it early so we can discuss among other things the upcoming candidates�
      forums for the Mayor�s race in Los Angeles. How can we ensure that hunger,
      poverty and food justice are issues that will be considered? What ideas do
      our candidates actually have concerning hunger?****

      *Friday Jan 18*

      *10 am to Noon*

      *LAANE, 464 S Lucas Ave LA CA 90017*

      Free parking****

      * *

      **3. Restaurant Opportunities Center Releases
      Diner�s Guide at Upcoming Fundraiser Wed. Jan 16 Downtown LA*

      * *

      ROC-LA's 2013 Diners� Guide Fundraiser Party at Chaya Downtown****

      Come Celebrate Good Food and Ethical Dining!****

      2013 ROC-LA Diners� Guide:****

      A Fundraiser for Change in the Restaurant Industry****

      January 16, 2013 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm****

      Chaya Downtown - 525 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017****

      Your ticket includes:****

      �* Appetizers from Chaya Downtown*, ROC-LA's high road partner
      restaurant will provide a sample of their dazzling appetizers and
      refreshments (vegetarians options included). Chaya�s signature cocktails
      will be available at the bar.****

      *� 2013 National Diners' Guide which rates the country's most
      popular restaurants on their workplace practices including ratings on
      wages, benefits, and opportunities for advancement.* The 2013 guide
      highlights more high road employers across the nation and it will also
      educate consumers on unjust workplace practices for other restaurants****

      *� LA Eating Ethically Guide 2013* profiles ROC-LA�s high road
      restaurants. ROC-LA's guide will feature amazing restaurants that believe
      sustainable work practices equals a sustainable restaurant industry. This
      pocket size guide is perfect if you are looking to dine out and want to
      support workers at a great LA restaurant! ****

      *� Behind the Kitchen Door* a book by Saru Jayaraman describes
      the experience of the second-largest private sector workforce in America
      with 10 million workers across the nation; whose growing population
      includes immigrants and people of color who have a passion for the
      restaurant industry, yet they live under poor working conditions.
      Jarayaman describes what a consumer �foodie� puts at stake when they dine
      out, and the book explores the health and well-being of not only the worker
      but of all those who enjoy dining out. For more information visit:
      http://behindthekitchendoor.org ****

      Validated Parking is Provided for this Event ****

      ****

      As consumers you have the power to raise the standards for all restaurant
      workers. Make your dollars and dining count for change in the restaurant
      industry.****

      here is the link to get your ticket (or tickets)!****

      http://roc-la2013eatethicallydinersguide.eventbrite.com/ ****

      ** **