Chile: 8 former military officers charged in Murder of Victor Jara

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2012
      SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) � Eight former army lieutenants have been charged in
      the killing of communist singer and songwriter Victor Jara almost four
      decades ago.

      Appellate Court Magistrate Miguel Vazquez *also ordered the arrest of Hugo
      Sanchez Marmonti and Pedro Barrientos Nunez, who lives in the U.S. state of
      Florida*, as the authors of the killing, and the other six former military
      officials as accomplices. All have been detained except Barrientos, who is
      expected to undergo extradition proceedings.

      Jara was detained along with many others at Chile�s State Technical
      University the day after the Sept. 11, 1972 coup that toppled President
      Salvador Allende. His body was found several days later, riddled with
      bullets and bearing signs of torture. The killing transformed Jara into a
      symbol of struggle against Latin America�s military right-wing
      dictatorships.

      Victor Jara<https://www.youtube.com/artist/victor-jara?feature=watch_video_title>
      Manifiesto

      *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en8yqVxuT-U*
      *
      *

      VICTOR JARA'S LAST POEM
      Written in a concentration camp, memorized, and smuggled out by other
      political prisoners by Chilean poet Victor Jara shortly before he was
      murdered on September 17, 1973.

      We are five thousand
      Confined in this little part of town
      We are five thousand
      How many of us are there throughout the country?

      Such a large portion of humanity
      With hunger, cold, horror and pain
      Six among us have already been lost
      And have joined the stars in the sky.

      One killed, another beaten
      As I never imagined a human being
      could be beaten
      The other four just wanted to put an end
      To their fears

      One by jumping down to his death
      The other smashing his head against a wall
      But all of them
      Looking straight into the eyes of death.

      We are ten thousand hands
      That can no longer work
      How many of us are there
      Throughout the country?

      The blood shed by our comrade President
      Has more power than bombs and machine guns
      With that same strength our collective fist
      Will strike again some day.

      Song, How imperfect you are!
      When I most need to sing, I cannot
      I cannot because I am still alive