Fwd: Report on Civil DIsturbances in Bariloche, Argentina

  • John A Imani
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2012
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Victor Kane <victorkane@...>
      Date: Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM
      To: John A Imani <johnaimani3@...>

      Yesterday was the anniversary of the Argentinazo of 2001, and while in
      Buenos Aires City there was a big march, in "quiet, little" Bariloche here
      we had a full scale inner city uprising, with a huge amount of looting.
      This spread to several other points all across Argentina. Today seems to be
      in calm, but it's just mid-day.

      Bariloche is one of the most expensive cities to live in in Argentina and
      the working class has suffered greatly from unemployment in construction,
      commerce, etc. apparently there were promises of "Christmas baskets" which
      were left unfulfilled; but whatever the origin or cause (could have been
      provocation) it doesn't matter because the widespread participation of
      hundreds showed that the unemployment and high cost of living causes real
      neediness getting closer and closer to 2001. We met all day but could not
      take the streets because of a police state situation (the "center left"
      government of Christina Kirchner sent 400 border guards who are now
      patrolling the city). We issued a statement which we got read on various
      radio stations against the repression and the presence of the border guards
      and police and for jobs and real solutions instead of attacks, and for an
      immediate emergency wage increase plus cost of living increases, etc.. We
      are also going to call for auto-organization of the unemployed just like in
      2001.
      So that occupied us yesterday, and today we will meet and see how to go
      forward.
      You can see coverage
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20805042which has a
      video, and look at 28 photos here: