Rep. Grijalva Rejects Obama "Fiscal Cliff" Plan to Cut More from Social Security than Military, A Petition on the Subject

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2012

      Rep. Raúl Grijalva Rejects Obama "Fiscal Cliff" Plan to Cut More from Social
      Security than Military

      <http://www.democracynow.org/appearances/rep_raul_grijalva> Rep. Raul
      Grijalva, (D-AZ), co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

      Democracy Now: 1219/122

      Democratic Rep. Raúl Grijalva of Arizona joins us to discuss his opposition
      to President Obama’s offer to cut more from Social Security than from the
      military in the ongoing negotiations over avoiding the so-called fiscal
      cliff. Obama has offered to cut some $100 billion from military spending,
      but even more from Social Security: $130 billion by adjusting the inflation
      index for Social Security benefits. Grijalva says Obama’s proposal opens the
      door "for some long-term damage down the road."

      NERMEEN SHAIKH: We stay in the nation’s capital now as we turn to the
      so-called "fiscal cliff" deal that could come to a vote as early as
      Thursday. On Monday, the White House issued a new offer to House
      Republicans. The White House proposed leaving lower tax rates in place for
      everyone, except those earning $400,000 and above. That’s up from the
      $250,000 threshold the president has been demanding for months.

      The offer also floats a lower revenue target of $1.2 trillion, down from
      $1.6 trillion. While Obama has offered to cut some $100 billion from
      military spending, he is proposing to cut even more from Social Security:
      $130 billion by adjusting the inflation index for Social Security benefits.
      The White House says the Social Security cuts would come with safeguards to
      protect the most low-income recipients.

      AMY GOODMAN: Democratic Congressmember Raúl Grijalva of Arizona has rejected
      the Social Security cuts outlined in the plan, joining us right now from the
      Cannon Rotunda on Capitol Hill.

      Congressmember, welcome to Democracy Now! Why have you rejected President
      Obama’s compromise with John Boehner, the House speaker?

      REP. RAÚL GRIJALVA: Well, it’s a compromise built on a very weak platform,
      particularly for Social Security and, as we go down the road, Medicare and
      Medicaid, in particular. I worry, and many of the members of the Progressive
      Caucus worry, that we’ve opened up a door here by talking about linking CPI
      in any area. And with Social Security, once you open that door, then—

      NERMEEN SHAIKH: Representative Grijalva, can you explain what CPI is, the
      Consumer Price and why it’s relevant in the negotiations?

      REP. RAÚL GRIJALVA: It’s relevant in the negotiation because that’s the
      basis by which potential increases to recipients. And, you know, in my
      district, the people that receive Social Security, whether—whether it’s a
      retirement benefit or a disability or dependent children, they depend on
      that for the inflationary rate and for them to be able to adjust what they
      receive with regards to what’s going on in the economy. And we know what’s
      going on in this economy. And it’s harder and costlier.

      And for us now to open that door now and to allow that bridge to be
      connected, you might want to say that we’re just only going to deal with one
      portion of the strata. I don’t believe that. And I believe that in the long
      run, we have taken a program that has been a bedrock program for the
      American people and opened the door for some long-term damage down the road.
      There are so many things that can be done to generate revenue that we’re not
      looking at, that’s not on the table. Even Simpson-Bowles says Social
      Security does not create the deficit. It is, though, a source of revenue.
      And that’s how it’s being looked at in terms of these cuts.

      NERMEEN SHAIKH: Representative Grijalva, can you talk about some of the key
      constituents who would be most affected if this proposal goes through?

      REP. RAÚL GRIJALVA: Well, in my district, a large percentage—I would say
      over half—and many in the country, Social Security is their only source of
      income, their sole source of income. We’re talking about people with
      disabilities that Social Security assists. We’re looking upon dependents and
      survivors. This is not a group that’s readily going to go out and make up
      the difference in any potential cut. And by opening this door, you are
      talking about benefit cuts. You can—you can put whatever kind of ornaments
      you want, but it is a benefit cut. And many of us see that, and we see this
      link, in the long term, to be something the Republicans have been wanting as
      a means to begin to deal with Social Security and deal with the trust fund
      and deal with the fact that it is—that the rate of inflation has dictated
      what the increases have been for recipients.

      AMY GOODMAN: Have spoken with President Obama? How do you—and how much
      consensus do you feel you have in the House right now to oppose cuts to
      Social Security? And compare it to military spending.

      REP. RAÚL GRIJALVA: Yeah, well, you know, military spending, saying the
      proposal, as I understand it, is $100 billion. Even Gates proposed more cuts
      than that on defense, on antiquated weapons and making sure that we took
      care of our troops. But let’s look at the fact that we continue to build
      weaponry that is of no utility in this age and, more importantly, of no
      utility in the whole issue of disarmament and no utility in the whole issue
      of maybe restoring some sense of balance and peace in this world.

      Having said that, it should be an area that is not sacrosanct. But at the
      same time, what the Progressive Caucus has said over and over again, Social
      Security, Medicare and Medicaid, those programs deserve to be strengthened
      and improved. There should be a discreet discussion about improvement and
      strengthening. And there should be other things on the table, Amy, other
      things like a transition tax for corporations and for Wall Street transfers
      of a million dollars in the stock market. There should be some cuts in the
      subsidies for corporations.

      There should be some regulations and oversight to make sure that we don’t
      get in the catastrophe that we got into. This amnesia that we don’t know how
      we got here is possibly the most bothersome, to me, that we will repeat, and
      use this opportunity and use the debt ceiling as an opportunity to further
      push the agenda, which has been the hard right’s agenda, which is to begin
      to dismantle systematically the support system that’s out there for the
      American people. And that support system is what the federal government does
      with programs like Social Security and education.

      AMY GOODMAN: Congressmember Raúl Grijalva, we want to thank you very much
      for being with us, Democrat of Arizona, co-chair of the Congressional
      Progressive Caucus. When we come back, a Democracy Now! exclusive: an
      interview with Leonard Peltier in prison in Florida, in prison for more than
      37 years. Stay with us.

      * * *

      2. "Social Security COLA Cut," Strengthen Social Security, December 18, 2012

      3. "Harry Reid: 'We Are Not Going To Mess With Social Security'," Huffington
      Post, November 8, 2012

      Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 7 million members—no
      corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures
      that small contributions go a long way. Chip
      x&t=9> in here.

      PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not
      authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to
      Ed Pearl on December 19, 2012.

      Internal Virus Database is out of date.