Photo-sharing site says it now has the right to sell your photos

  • scotpeden@cruzio.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2012
      Instagram and it's new owners, Facebook, own what ever you send to their
      servers. You have till Jan 16th to close your account, or work for them
      for free, as in you give up the copyright to your intellectual property.

      CNET Community @media only screen
      and (max-width: 480px) { *[class~=stackonmobile] {
      display: block !important; clear: both
      !important; width: 100% !important;
      margin: 0; } *[class~=hideonmobile] {
      display: none !important; } }

      CNET's tips for making fun DIY tech gifts.
      December 18, 2012 CNET Community
      Photo-sharing site says it now has the right to sell your photos
      Dear CNET members,

      Imagine this: you're at a beach in Hawaii, snapping photos of your family
      having the time of their lives. Later, you upload them to your favorite
      photo-sharing site to show your family and friends on your social network,
      not giving it a second thought. Two years from now, you go to a travel
      site to book another trip to Hawaii, and lo and behold, you see a
      familiar-looking photo in an advertisement for the Hawaii resort you are
      looking into. You look a bit closer and you realize that in the
      advertisement is a picture of your kids at the beach that you took two
      years ago! You wrack your brains trying to figure out how it happened, who
      did it, and why.

      If you think this scenario is a bit frightening or just can't be, you
      better take note of this report by CNET writer Declan McCullagh:
      "Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos." Declan
      reports that with the first major policy shift since Facebook bought the
      photo-sharing site, Instagram claims the right to sell users' photos
      without payment or notification. And if you don't opt out of this by
      deleting your Instagram account by January 16, you can't opt out of it
      afterward.

      So what do you think of this new policy? Do you care that your photos
      could potentially be used or sold for commercial purposes without being
      notified? Or do you believe that this is just part of business, and
      because it's a free site and the photos that you post on Instagram are
      made public, this shouldn't be a shock to anyone? If you are a user of
      Instagram, are you going to opt out before the deadline? If you aren't a
      user of Instagram, does this change how you would use photo-sharing
      sites in general, and how so? Read Declan's article and share how you
      feel!

      Lee Koo
      Community manager View profile |
      Email

      Here's what some of your fellow members had to say
      about this week's topic:
      Instagram says it now has the right to sell your
      photos

      "Stop moaning. Its a free app with
      millions of users - how do you expect a company to
      keep afloat offering a free service with continual
      updates hosting so much content? If you are all
      photographers whose IG pics are how you make your
      living then fair enough but none of you are, are you?
      so you're not..." Read more

      Posted by Jarvdesign

      "The part that worries me even
      more than that is that a lot of KIDS are on
      Instagram, posting photos of themselves (and their
      friends) left and right. Instagram is currently the
      biggest social media site (bigger than Facebook) for
      my 12-year-old daughter..." Read more

      Posted by instamom

      "As an artist, I
      am really upset with this. I post pictures of MY art
      that I myself created on Instragram to allow my
      family, friends, acquaintances and fellow artists to
      see my work, including progress as people always ask
      to watch my art come to life while I'm drawing or
      painting. This is horrible of Instagram and..."
      Read more

      Posted by GondorArt

      "For
      those of you playing the "it's a free service card",
      the only reason this "free service" is sustainable is
      because users like us generate the content. I'm okay
      with data mining, I'm okay with revenue-sharing, and
      I'm okay with targeted ads. These are a fair price to
      pay for free content. Telling me that everything I've
      ever created and ever will create no longer
      belongs..." Read more

      Posted by MarcNash

      Read all members'

      Speak up
      What are your thoughts? Weigh in on this week's
      topic.
      Click here to post your comments

      Apple
      in
      2013:
      Five
      predictions

      Dell
      exec:
      urged
      Microsoft
      not
      call
      its
      tablet
      OS
      Windows
      RT

      Tablet
      owners
      weigh
      in
      with
      their
      biggest
      beefs

      Best
      all-in-one
      desktops

      Do
      you
      use
      online
      photo-sharing
      sites?
      (click
      button
      vote)

      Yes,
      all
      the
      time.
      Yes, on occasion.
      No.
      Click
      here
      discuss
      the
      poll.

      Nokia
      Lumia
      820
      review:
      More
      than
      just
      pretty
      price
      tag

      Acer
      Iconia
      W700:
      rare
      full-power
      Windows
      8
      tablet

      Vizio's
      bargain
      65-incher
      3D
      leaves
      us
      feeling
      flat

      Panasonic's
      Lumix
      FZ200
      is
      across-the-board
      excellent

      New
      Jetta
      Hybrid
      beats
      even
      diesel
      fuel
      economy

      CNET
      TV
      gift
      guide

      CNET
      games
      and
      gaming
      gear
      gift
      guide
      Connect with us on:

      The | Newsletter help | Privacy policy

      Copyright 2012 CBS
      Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.
      CBS Interactive, 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.