The God Glut

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2012
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/opinion/bruni-the-god-glut.html?nl=todaysh
      eadlines
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/11/opinion/bruni-the-god-glut.html?nl=todays
      headlines&emc=edit_th_20121211> &emc=edit_th_20121211

      The God Glut

      Frank Bruni
      NY Times Op-Ed: December 11, 2012

      Bob Kerrey's political career spanned four years as the governor of Nebraska
      and another 12 as a United States senator from that state, during which he
      made a serious bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. In all that
      time, to the best of his memory, he never uttered what has become a routine
      postscript to political remarks: "God bless America."

      That was deliberate.

      "It seems a little presumptuous, when you've got the land mass and the
      talent that we do, to ask for more," he told me recently.

      But there was an additional reason he didn't mention God, so commonly
      praised in the halls of government, so prevalent a fixture in public
      discourse.

      "I think you have to be very, very careful about keeping religion and
      politics separate," Kerrey said.

      We Americans aren't careful at all. In a country that supposedly draws a
      line between church and state, we allow the former to intrude flagrantly on
      the latter. Religious faith shapes policy debates. It fuels claims of
      American exceptionalism.

      And it suffuses arenas in which its place should be carefully measured. A
      recent example of this prompted my conversation with Kerrey. Last week, a
      fourth-year cadet at West Point packed his bags and left, less than six
      months shy of graduation, in protest of what he portrayed as a bullying,
      discriminatory religiousness at the military academy, which receives public
      funding.

      The cadet, Blake Page, detailed his complaint in an article for
      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blake-page/west-point-religious-freedom_b_223
      2279.html> The Huffington Post, accusing officers at the academy of
      "unconstitutional proselytism," specifically of an evangelical Christian
      variety.

      On the phone on Sunday, he explained to me that a few of them urged
      attendance at religious events in ways that could make a cadet worry about
      the social and professional consequences of not going. One such event was a
      prayer breakfast this year at which a retired lieutenant general, William G.
      Boykin, was slated to speak. Boykin is a born-again Christian, and his past
      remarks portraying the war on terror in holy and biblical terms were so
      extreme that he was
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/23/world/bush-says-he-disagrees-with-general
      -s-remarks-on-religion.html> rebuked in 2003 by President Bush. In fact his
      scheduled speech at West Point was so vigorously protested that it
      ultimately
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/us/lt-gen-william-boykin-known-for-anti-m
      uslim-remarks-cancels-west-point-talk.html?ref=williamgboykin> had to be
      canceled.

      Page said that on other occasions, religious events were promoted by
      superiors with the kind of mass e-mails seldom used for secular gatherings.
      "It was always Christian, Christian, Christian," said Page, who is an
      atheist.

      Mikey Weinstein, an Air Force Academy graduate who presides over an advocacy
      group called the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, told me that more
      than 30,000 members of the United States military have been in contact with
      his organization because of concerns about zealotry in their ranks.

      More than 150 of them, he said, work or study at West Point. Several cadets
      told me in telephone interviews that nonbelievers at the academy can indeed
      be made to feel uncomfortable, and that benedictions at supposedly
      nonreligious events refer to "God, Our Father" in a way that certainly
      doesn't respect all faiths.

      Is the rest of society so different?

      Every year around this time, many conservatives rail against the "war on
      Christmas," using a few dismantled nativities to suggest that America
      muffles worship.

      Hardly. We have God on our dollars, God in our pledge of allegiance, God in
      our Congress. Last year, the House took
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/us/house-of-representatives-affirms-in-go
      d-we-trust-motto.html> the time to vote, 396 to 9, in favor of a resolution
      affirming "In God We Trust" as our national motto. How utterly needless,
      unless I missed some insurrectionist initiative to have that motto changed
      to "Buck Up, Beelzebub" or "Surrender Dorothy."

      We have God in our public schools, a few of which cling to creationism, and
      we have major presidential candidates - Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann, Rick
      Santorum - who use God in general and Christianity in particular as
      cornerstones of their campaigns. God's initial
      <http://news.yahoo.com/democrats-change-platform-add-god-jerusalem-211928130
      --election.html> absence from the Democratic Party platform last summer
      stirred more outrage among Americans than the slaughter in Syria will ever
      provoke.

      God's wishes are cited in efforts to deny abortions to raped women and civil
      marriages to same-sex couples. In our country God doesn't merely have a
      place at the table. He or She is the host of the prayer-heavy dinner party.

      And there's too little acknowledgment that God isn't just a potent engine of
      altruism, mercy and solace, but also, in instances, a divisive, repressive
      instrument; that godliness isn't any prerequisite for patriotism; and that
      someone like Page deserves as much respect as any true believer.

      Kerrey labels himself agnostic, but said that an active politician could get
      away with that only if he or she didn't "engage in a conversation about the
      danger of religion" or advertise any spiritual qualms and questions.

      "If you talk openly about your doubts," he said, "you can get in trouble."

      To me that doesn't sound like religious freedom at all.

      _____

      Internal Virus Database is out of date.