John Reed is new Green Mayor of Fairfax

  • Mike Feinstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2012
      http://www.cagreens.org/news/reed-new-fairfax-mayor
      John Reed is new Green Mayor of Fairfax

      On December 5th, John Reed became Mayor of Fairfax, the third Green in
      a row to be Mayor there. Reed is also the fourth Green on the five
      member Fairfax Town Council, where Greens have made up a majority
      since November 2009.

      Appointed by unamimous vote by his Town Council colleagues, Reed,
      succeeds fellow Greens Pam Hartwell-Herrero (2011-2012) and Larry
      Bragman (2010-2011) as Fairfax's Mayor, and joins Gayle Mclaughlin
      (Richmond) and Bruce Delgado (Marina) as one of three current Green
      mayors statewide.

      Since 1993, when Raven Earlygrow (Point Arena) became the state's
      first Green Mayor, 33 California Greens have served in that role.

      Reed, 54, has actually been registered Green twice and rejoined the
      Green Party earlier this year, after having been Green in the 1990s
      and Democrat in the 2000s. On June 9th, Reed re-registered Green and
      wrote this statement explaining his political path, including these
      excepts about the Green Party:

      "After reading �Silent Spring� in 6th grade, I became an avid
      environmentalist. Thrilled with the first Earth Day in 1969, I had
      found my tribe...Initially there was no Green Party. Imagine my joy
      when it started....The Green Party represents many of the views I hold
      dear. I believe that nothing is more important than dealing with
      climate change. Other things that the Green Party endorses are also
      very worthy, but this one issue rises above all."

      Thinking globally and running locally. Reed was elected to the Fairfax
      Town Council in November 2009. A filmmaker by profession, Reed has
      made his mark in office promoting fair and inclusive public process,
      expansion of bike paths, helping pass the city's general plan to
      institute green planning principles, and moving the city's funds to a
      local bank and beginning a local currency to promote community-based
      economics.

      The first Green elected to the Fairfax Town Council was Lew Tremaine
      in Fairfax in November 1999. He served three four-year terms until
      2011. Bragman joined the council in 2003 and is currently serving his
      third term. Hartwell-Herrero was elected to her first term in 2009 and
      Ryan O'Neil the same in 2011. Tremaine also served as mayor three
      times, from 2003-2004, 2006-2006 and 2010-2011. Bragman served two
      consecutive one-year mayor terms from 2006-2008 and then again for
      another year from 2010-2011.

      Fairfax is also one of four U.S. cities where Greens have had a city/
      town council majority, three of them in California - Fairfax,
      Sebastopol (2000-2008) and Arcata (1996-1998.)
      ---

      See here for more about the Marin County Green Party

      In Fairfax and the majority of other small to medium sized cities in
      California with City Council/City Manager styles of government, the
      Mayor is elected by the City Council from within the City Council, in
      contrast to Mayor/City Council styles of government, where the Mayor
      is a separately elected chief executive, often with veto power over
      the City Council.