One Week Remaining to Vote for the KPFK Local Station Board (& where to get a ballot if you have not received one.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012
      Hi there. One week remaining, with slightly over 50% of the required number
      to make Roster.
      This is not unusual, so don't panic. Just Vote. If you aren't a member
      yet, or lapsed, give it a
      try. In this new world of totally controlled and censored information,
      Pacifica stands out, infinitely
      more that NPR or PBS, let alone the commercial media and, g-d forbid, shock
      radio. Tomorrow,
      Tuesday, begins the network fund Drive. Listen to Amy Goodman on Democracy
      Now (6 & 9 AM,
      on kpfk, 90.7 fm) and you'll hear, clearly, what I mean. Regards to all,
      Ed

      It's LSB election time again - time to endorse a slate of candidates.
      Ballots for this year's LSB election have been mailed
      and must be returned by December 11th

      Since KPFK started electing Local Station Board members, a number of us have
      worked to recruit, endorse, and elect intelligent, professional listeners
      with relevant organizational experience. Our goal is to keep KPFK
      compelling, progressive, strong, healthy, and useful, with as high
      production standards as possible.

      Recruiting candidates for the board seems to get tougher each go around.
      This year, however, we have managed to come up with a very good slate. A
      number of us have interviewed most of them, and the most valuable thing we
      discovered is that most of them have non-profit and fundraising experience
      and want to work on fundraising, in particular off-air fundraising.

      Unfortunately, most of them wrote fairly unexciting informational pieces
      about themselves, leaving out many of the experiences that will make them so
      valuable to the LSB. Will Ryan, for instance, works as a voice-over artist,
      sits on the Motion Picture Academy committee which recommends short films
      for nominations, and has participated on several non-profit board, but
      mentions none of this in his info sheet.

      We have asked each of them to submit a brief list of their relevant
      experiences and accomplishments. As soon as we get them, we will add them to
      our website - <http://candidateslate.org> candidateslate.org.

      That being said, we would be thrilled if any or all were elected. They may
      not be perfect, but they seem to be really good, sane, responsible
      individuals, and, as far as we can tell, none of them appear to have
      destructive or distracting agendas. We believe they will make good LSB
      members and ask that you endorse them. PLEASE CONTACT JAN Goodman
      <janjerry2@... OR TERRENCE McNally <temcnally@...>, TO
      DO SO.

      YOU MAY RECEIVE AN ELECTION SLATE MAILER ENDORSING OTHER CANDIDATES. PLEASE
      IGNORE IT.

      KPFK Local Station Board Election 2012

      Re-elect these two current board members:

      Kim Kaufman, LSB Treasurer -- Artist, Election Integrity activist

      John De Simio - Professional publicist

      Elect all these new candidates in any order #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8:

      Ali Ahmadpour, Iran-American, Art History professor, activist for social
      justice

      Roberta Eidman, IT consultant, teacher, writer, photographer, workshop
      facilitator.

      Dave Johnson, Economics degree, has been involved in international sales,
      KPFK & community events volunteer

      Will Ryan, Voice over artist, Musician; experience on other non-profit
      boards, member of Academy Committee which reviews & recommends short films
      for Academy Award Nominations,

      J B Wagoner, Directs non-profit that serves people with developmental
      disabilities; Occupy activist

      Lauren Windsor, Multimedia journalist, degree in business/entrepreneurship;
      Occupy activist and activist to overturn Citizens United

      --------------------------------
      Go to <http://www.candi> www.candidate.slate.org to see more on these
      candidates.

      Please vote for all the candidates, ranking them from 1 through 8 on the STV
      voting ballot.

      Please like our Facebook page:
      <https://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/Candidate-slate-KPFK-board-election-201
      2/431421506919155>
      https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Candidate-slate-KPFK-board-election-2012/4
      31421506919155

      The first candidate forum aired on KPFK Friday night 11/09. You can hear it
      at
      <http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://archive.kpfk.org/mp3/kpfk_121109_190
      030spe> http://archive.kpfk.org/mp3/kpfk_121109_190030special.MP3 The rest
      of the on-air forums will be Thursday 11/15, Friday 11/16, Monday 11/19 and
      Friday 11/ 23.

      For questions or information, please contact Kim0Kaufman@... or call
      <tel:323-650-9860> 323-650-9860

      Our Committee -Incomplete

      Jan Goodman

      Ed Pearl

      Dorothy Reik (President, Progressive Democrats of Santa Monica
      Mountains)(for id purposes only)

      Grace Aaron, former Pacifica iED and PNB Chair

      Ken Aaron, LSB Board Member

      Ricco Ross, former LSB board member & chair

      Lauren Steiner, Occupy Activist

      Lamont Yeakey, LSB Board Member

      Fred Blair, LSB Board Member

      Margie Murray, LSB Vice-Chair, Valley Dems United

      COMMITTEE OBJECTIVES

      We are a group of listener-sponsors (subscribers) who have come together to
      help preserve and promote KPFK radio.

      KPFK is dedicated to quality, non-commercial, listener-sponsored
      broadcasting. It is the progressive home of a First Amendment Radio Station,
      based on the Pacifica Foundation Mission Statement, and governed by the
      Local Station Board whose representatives are democratically elected.

      To better serve the Pacifica mission, our objectives are to solidify sound
      governance, accountable management, and healthy finances, by encouraging and
      supporting compelling radio that expands listenership and membership.

      As communication models and technologies change, KPFK must serve as a bridge
      between two generations of media and two generations of listeners, as the
      experienced boomers and seniors pass the baton and the mission to the young
      who see, listen, communicate, and act differently.

      We on this Committee work to pass on a stronger, healthier, more useful, and
      more necessary KPFK.

      COMMITTEE PLATFORM

      . The original KPFK mission: tapping into the most talented community in the
      world and using the biggest transmitter west of the Mississippi to bring you
      fearless free speech that is relevant, reality-based, and community focused.

      . Sound, accountable stewardship of the KPFK that YOU own -- radio that
      informs, empowers and serves you.

      . An end to divisive political infighting that paralyzes governance,
      alienates listeners, and distracts from our shared Pacifica mission.

      . Responsible governance that attracts and supports skilled, competent
      management by engaging in relevant oversight and addressing fiscal reality.

      . Efficient operations and financial and organizational transparency.

      . Improved and expanded integration of Internet and social media, in order
      to reach larger audiences at less cost.

      . A robust internship program aligned with trade schools and universities.

      . Greater outreach to diverse and underserved communities with a particular
      aim of attracting younger listeners.

      . Expanded promotion and marketing to increase listenership and financial
      support.

      . Exploring new ideas to expand fundraising while staying true to the
      Mission Statement.

      . Full compliance with FCC regulations and labor laws, and universal
      accessibility for the disabled.

      . Enhanced journalistic standards in programming, and a restored local news
      department that delivers essential news and voices.

      . Independent and unbiased radio that is informative, accurate, challenging,
      stimulating, useful, well produced, and compelling - and that attracts
      listeners and supporters.

      Terrence McNally
      310-476-4999 / C: 310-486-3691
      temcnally@...