NNOC statement/letter to Obama

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012
      *
      NNOC statement/letter to Obama

      Dear President Obama

      Today, for the 21st consecutive year, the international community voted
      overwhelmingly to end the financial, commercial and economic embargo against
      Cuba at the United Nations General Assembly. The resolution was approved by
      vote of 188 in favor of the resolution, 3 opposed and 2 abstentions. As you
      know, the 188 nations voting to condemn U.S. policy represent the largest
      number
      of countries opposing the embargo in the 21 year history of this vote.

      As the rest of the world has pointed out, the embargo imposed on Cuba for
      more
      than fifty years has caused unnecessary suffering to the Cuban people. That
      suffering is exacerbated even more at a time of a natural disaster such as
      the
      recent Hurricane Sandy which brought incredible devastation to not only the
      East
      Coast of the United States but also many Caribbean countries including Cuba.

      The National Network on Cuba, a U.S. umbrella organization whose members
      stand
      in solidarity with the Cuban people, urgently appeals to your
      administration for
      a humanitarian gesture to lift all trade and credit restrictions imposed on
      Cuba. By doing so, this island nation will be able to purchase medicine,
      food,
      construction materials, machinery and equipment necessary to rebuild and
      recover
      from this disaster. We refuse to be passive witnesses of this unjust policy
      particularly in a time of a natural disaster.

      We would also point out that Cuba generously aided its neighbors when they
      were
      struck by Hurricanes Mitch and Georges. Cuba reached out and offered
      assistance
      to the New Orleans community struck by Hurricane Katrina and provided
      tremendous
      aid to the victims of the Haitian earthquake.

      In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy many countries of the world have
      extended
      their solidarity to the Cuban people, why can't we do the same? Lifting the
      restrictions imposed by the United States and allowing Cuba to obtain needed
      food, medicine, and rebuilding material will be a unique opportunity for the
      United States to show to the world and particularly to our neighboring
      countries
      in Latin America that we are a caring nation which acts to alleviate the
      suffering of others.

      Finally, we hope that you will listen to the near unanimous voice of the
      international community as demonstrated by today's United Nations vote and
      totally end the economic embargo of Cuba.

      Respectfully yours,
      National Network On Cuba Co-Chairs

      Alicia Jrapko
      Sobukwe Kumba
      Marilyn McKenna
      Banbose Shango
      Nalda Vigezzi

      CC: Congressional Black Caucus (CBC)
      Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC)
      Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC)
      Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
      United States Department of State

      *