On Gaza's "Severe Damage" and Why Truce Won't Stop the Violence of Occupation

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2012
      http://www.democracynow.org/2012/11/26/sharif_abdel_kouddous_on_gazas_severe

      Sharif Abdel Kouddous on Gaza's "Severe Damage" and Why Truce Won't Stop the
      Violence of Occupation

      Democracy Now: November 26, 2012

      AMY GOODMAN: As we continue speaking with Democracy Now! correspondent
      Sharif Abel Kouddous in Cairo. He just returned to Egypt on Saturday after
      several days in Gaza. On Wednesday, Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi
      brokered a deal to end Israel's assault on Gaza that killed 170
      Palestinians. During that period, six Israelis were killed as well in
      Palestinian rocket attacks. Earlier today, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud
      Barak who presided over the assault on Gaza announced his resignation.
      Sharif, can you talk about the terms of the cease-fire and the reactions in
      Gaza afterwards?

      SHARIF ABDEL KOUDDOUS: The reaction was one of celebration in Gaza. It was a
      very bizarre countdown to the 9:00 P.M. deadline which marked the end of the
      violence. The bombs were falling up until the very last minute. A
      Palestinian man was killed in the final minutes right before the 9 P.M.
      deadline. When it did come, we very quickly heard in Gaza cheers going out,
      mosques going on the loud speakers and claiming victory over Israel, cars
      whizzing in the streets, and it turned into a massive street celebration by
      many Gazans.

      As you mentioned, the death toll is around 170. They are still getting the
      accurate figures. At least 34 of those are children. Over 100 are civilians.
      The destruction in Gaza is severe. The Israeli military targeted many civil
      institutions, a massive civil administration complex know as Abu Hudra that
      - where Palestinians would go to get Ids and documents, a bridge, dozens of
      homes and offices and apartment buildings have been reduced to rubble.

      So, in asking Palestinians why they consider this a victory, it's that they
      feel that Israel did not achieve any of its objectives, that they managed to
      avoid a ground invasion by Israeli forces, and they overwhelmingly put this
      to the resistance, to Hamas' and other Palestinian factions' resistance and
      rocket fire. Many Palestinians that you speak to say that this is the reason
      that they got a cease-fire, that what they view is on favorable terms.

      Now, it must be said - so, part of the deal is that Israel will stop
      targeted assassinations of Hamas leaders, which they killed the Ahmed Jabari
      the head of the Hamas' military wing last week, which set off this week of
      violence, and they've promised to stop ground incursions as well. On the
      Palestinian side, Hamas has promised to stop rocket attacks, and so forth.
      This is all guaranteed by Egypt.

      What is interesting, also, and is also left very vague, is that Israel has
      promised to ease the movement of people and goods across the borders. Now,
      it must be said this is not talking about lifting the blockade that has
      crippled Gaza ever since Hamas was elected and took over the territory, but
      we have already seen an easing of some restrictions.

      Palestinian fisherman who were barred from going out more than three
      kilometers from the coast are now allowed to go 6 kilometers, even though
      under the terms of the Oslo agreement, they are supposed to be able to go 20
      kilometers. But, what was inspiring in a way, on Friday, was in Hanunis in
      Southern Gaza on the eastern border, the border with Israel, there's buffer
      zones across the border with Israel of about 1,000 feet or more where
      Palestinians cannot go or risk being shot by Israeli forces.

      The terms of the cease-fire were vague on these buffer zones. But, what we
      saw after Friday prayer was hundreds of Palestinians walking out into these
      buffer zones without assurance of what the response by the Israeli military
      would be. And many of them, it was the first time they had walked on the
      land for many years. Farmers were grabbing the soil for the first time and
      promising that they would, the next day, begin to form the soil that they
      hadn't been able to for many years.

      One Palestinian man was actually killed; him and a group of young men
      approached the border fence and began throwing rocks at Israeli soldiers,
      who responded by opening fire. So, it shows the fragility of the ceasefire
      agreement. But, if you just look at that difference in responses in Gaza,
      the massive celebrations on the streets and the response in Israel, the
      resignation of the Defense Minister, small protests in some Israeli cities
      against the terms of the cease-fire. We can see that most people are calling
      this, at least in Gaza, a victory for the Palestinians.

      AMY GOODMAN: The affect on children? The estimates now, Palestinian medical
      officials say the death toll around 170, included up to 34 children.

      SHARIF ABDEL KOUDDOUS: That's right. The affect on children is devastating,
      really. We know the death toll and the number of wounded, but what really go
      uncounted are the severe emotional and mental trauma that many children
      suffer. The repeated Israeli air strikes have a sever effect on many
      children. And we've seen this effect from Israel's even more brutal assault
      in 2008 and 2009, dubbed Operation Cast Lead.

      I saw several families and spoke with them; children who - one child, his
      name is Hela Debwalta [sp] who can no longer talk after a Israeli missile
      strike shook the room he was in so hard, the doors blew off the hinges, and
      so he went into shock and never fully recovered. Another woman, Heba
      Allalter [sp], her daughter, 13-year-old daughter, Diann [sp] cannot stop
      crying. She needs to be held at all times, cannot walk without her mother
      holding her hand, and is constantly terrified.

      So we always hear about the physical destruction, the death toll, and the
      wounded, but the severe, sever mental trauma that not only on children, but
      on adults as well, has really taken its toll on Gaza, and you can see it by
      speaking to the victims of this Israeli offensive.

      AMY GOODMAN: Sharif, in an interview with the BBC, Sunday, British Foreign
      Secretary William Hague, urged the U.S. to take a decisive lead in the
      resolution of the Palestinian-Isreali problems. This is what he said.

      WILLIAM HAGUE: It is time for a huge effort on the Middle East peace
      process. This is what I have been calling for, particularly calling for the
      United States, now after the election, to show the necessary leadership on
      this over the coming months, because they have crucial leverage with Israel
      that no other country has. But yes, it does need the very active support of
      European nations and Arab nations to create incentives and disincentives for
      all involved to make sure that this final - that this last chance - we're
      coming to the final chance maybe for a two-state solution in the
      Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

      INTERVIEWER: Would you like to see Bill Clinton come in?

      WILLIAM HAGUE: Well I heard David Miliband saying that earlier. I think, in
      the government, we will keep our conversations with the Americans about
      these things private. But, certainly, on form or another, whatever personal
      form it takes, we do look to the United States to take a decisive lead on
      this in the coming months. And after the tragic conflict in Gaza, in the
      last ten days, if it is now possible to move on to the opening up of access
      in and out of Gaza and stopping the smuggling of weapons into Gaza, well
      then some good could actually come of that awful crisis and terrible
      casualty.

      AMY GOODMAN: That's British Foreign Secretary, William Hague. What is your
      sense, Sharif, of Palestinians' feelings about the United States being an
      honest broker here?

      SHARIF ABDEL KOUDDOUS: Well, there's no question, that they view the U.S. as
      being a dishonest broker, a huge disappointment with the Obama
      administration, but really a lack of surprise. The U.S. displaying the same
      kind of staunch unwavering support for Israel that it has had for decades.

      The essence of the problem, the cease-fire may have stopped the immediate
      violence, but the essence of the problem, the core of the problem is the
      occupation. Israel withdrew its illegal settlers in 2005 but it has
      maintained control of the Gaza's borders, Gaza's air, Gaza's water access,
      preventing exports. And this by international legal definitions, is still
      occupation. The crippling siege of Gaza - the U.N. issued a report in August
      saying by 2020 Gaza would be unlivable. This is the core of the issue, and
      if these fundamental issues aren't addressed, if we just see a slight easing
      of restrictions on the movement of goods - and also to mention that Egypt is
      complicit in this siege, with the Rafah border crossing being closed to
      trade and most of the trade being done illicitly in these tunnels. It's the
      core of the problem the occupation isn't addressed, that we're going to see,
      going to continue to see these waves of violence, waves of attacks by
      Israel.

      To the United States' discredit, it has not acted as an honest broker. We
      saw them pull out all diplomatic stops to prevent the bid for observer
      status at the United Nations, and the Palestinians are going to go again
      this year to the United Nations with the same bid. We will have to wait and
      see whether the U.S. puts on the same pressure on so many other countries to
      reject that.

      AMY GOODMAN: And finally, following the cease-fire, Sharif, reports have
      emerged bolstering speculation Israel launched the assault as a means to
      prepare potential future attack on Iran. The New York Times reports, the
      Gaza assault and the rocket attacks it provoked were, "something of a
      practice run for any future armed confrontation with Iran." Your response to
      that they cited unnamed Israeli and U.S. officials?

      SHARIF ABDEL KOUDDOUS: It is difficult to say. I mean, the two situations
      are so completely different. The fact that Hamas' military wing and other
      militant Palestinian factions were able to continue firing rockets into
      Israel while this assault was going - that it is unclear how their capacity
      was affected but it seems that they still have this capacity, going forward.
      A completely different situation to what is essentially a group in an open
      air prison compared to a very powerful country in the Middle East, Iran,
      with a massive army. So, a training run, I don't see how the two are
      comparrible at all. The very notion of practicing or training by killing up
      to 170 people, most of them civilians, including over 30 children, is
      reprehensible. We have to think of things in these terms, not in
      geopolitical terms, that we sometimes hear in publications like The New York
      Times.

      AMY GOODMAN: Well, I want to thank you very much, Sharif, for joining us.
      Sharif Abel Kouddous, Democracy Now! correspondent, wrote a piece last week
      before Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's announcement of taking more power,
      called " <http://www.thenation.com/article/171377/mohamed-morsi-middle#>
      Mohamed Morsi in the Middle ."

      _____