Fwd: upcoming meeting, Selma James, and Child Hunger panel

  • John A Imani
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2012
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Frank Tamborello <frank@...>
      Date: Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM
      Subject: upcoming meeting, Selma James, and Child Hunger panel
      To: food-advocates@...

      *To All Those Interested in Food and Justice... *

      A (usually) weekly update on food issues, promoting access to sufficient,
      affordable, healthy food ---with a focus on campaigns you can become active
      in! ****

      *Follow us *on Twitter @HungerActionLA . Welcome to all the new people on
      the list: please respond to frank@... if you wish to use a
      different e mail or be removed****

      ***1. ****Hunger Action LA Meeting Friday Nov 30*

      ***2. ****Meet Activist Selma James after HALA Meeting, Friday Nov 30*

      ***3. ****Childhood Hunger: Panel on Taking Action, Dec. 3 Jewish
      Federation*

      **************************************

      *1. HALA Monthly Meeting*. *Friday November 30, 10 am to 12 noon, at *

      *LAANE 464 S Lucas, LA CA 90017.*

      * Parking free (go for the top of the parking structure).* ****

      *1.Post Election Update*

      What do the results of the federal election, the new make up of the state
      legislature, the passage of propositions 30 and 39, and the failure of prop
      37 mean for the food justice/social justice movements in LA? We�ll discuss
      and share what we know ****

      *2. Next Steps on Local Food Sovereignty*

      Following up from the November 1 rally at City Hall, what are the next
      steps for urban ag, street vending, and grassroots food distribution? We�ll
      begin the discussion ****

      *3.Special Presentation: Worker Owned Cooperatives, An Idea That�s
      Succeeded*

      In September, longtime activist Nancy Berlin, Kitty Kroger and Adele
      Wallace traveled to Spain to learn first-hand about the Mondragon
      Cooperatives, a network of worker-owned co-ops in the Basque Country that's
      been up and running for over 50 years and now includes over 80,000 workers.
      Come hear what they discovered, and join us in thinking and dreaming about
      how the lessons of Mondragon might be used to create a more humane economy
      here at home.****

      ** **

      RSVP Hunger Action LA 213 388 8228 or frank@... ****

      ** **

      *2. Meet Selma James, Coordinator of Global Women�s
      Strike! Friday Nov 30, 12:30-1:30 pm,
      LAANE 464 S Lucas*

      Reception for Selma James, also at LAANE, at 12:30 pm after the Hunger
      Action LA meeting****

      Selma James, women�s rights, antiwar and anti-racist activist, author and
      international coordinator of the Global Women�s Strike, is returning to the
      LA area November 27th through Dec 1st. ****

      Called �one of the key political thinkers and activists of our times,�
      Selma�s work has addressed the power relations within the working class
      movement, and organizing across sectors despite divisions of sex, race,
      age, etc., South and North. ****

      Building on her well-received tour last spring on the publication of her
      book Sex, Race and Class, The Perspective of Winning -- A Selection of
      Writings, 1952-2011, Selma�s visit here is part of a tour in the US and
      Canada to help build the grassroots movement for change and launch the
      campaign to eliminate child poverty and value caregiving.****

      RSVP frank@... Refreshments
      available!****

      ** **

      ** **

      *3. Childhood Hunger: Panel on Taking Action, Dec. 3 Jewish Federation*

      *(From the Jewish Federation)
      *Dear Friend,****

      Hunger is a daily reality for many thousands of children throughout Los
      Angeles and beyond. We are concerned about how this widespread problem
      affects our communities and schools and what it means for the future of our
      children. ****

      As part of the Federation�s mission to engage with the community and make
      Los Angeles a better place, we�re hosting a panel of experts to share
      what�s being done and what we need to continue to do to combat this
      deeply-rooted crisis.****

      Join us on December 3rd for an enlightening panel discussion, Childhood
      Hunger: Taking Action. We�ll examine the issues and hear from some of our
      City�s most important change-makers, who are giving voice to this issue and
      working to alleviate hunger every day:****

      � Matt Sharp, Senior Advocate for California Food Policy
      Advocates (CFPA)****

      � Jessica Jones, Policy & Outreach Manager for the L.A.
      Regional Food Bank****

      � David Binkle, LAUSD Director of Food Services, Menu/Compliance
      ****

      *Be inspired: RSVP for this event today.* <ASchwartz@...>****

      *Who: The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles*

      *What: Childhood Hunger: Taking Action*

      *Where: The Jewish Federation, 6505 Wilshire Blvd., Los
      Angeles 90048*

      *When: Monday, December 3rd, 2012; 7:00 PM � 9:00 PM*

      *Cost: Free*

      *Light refreshments will be served; Dietary laws observed*

      This program is part of our Federation�s Community Engagement Initiative,
      connecting individuals who are passionate about building a better Los
      Angeles for us all. ****

      *RSVP by November 29th**.* <ASchwartz@...>****

      For more information, contact me at (323) 761-8132 or FSchutzer@....
      ****

      I look forward to coming together as a community for this sobering, yet
      empowering, discussion.****

      Flori Schutzer****

      Program Director, Hunger Initiative****

      Frank Tamborello****