Nobel Winners Support Bradley Manning, Gilad Sharon : "The Americans didn't stop with Hiroshima - the Japane se weren't surrendering fast enough, so they hit Nagas aki, too."

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2012
      From: Pat Krommer [mailto:pkrommer@...]
      Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:42 PM
      Subject: [Icujp-discuss] Nobel Prize Winners Say Bradley Manning Deserves
      Americans' Support for Military Whistleblowin

      "Much as when high-ranking officials in the
      <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/usa> United States and Britain misled the
      public in 2003 by saying there was an imminent need to invade Iraq to stop
      them from using weapons of mass destruction...the world's most powerful
      elites have again insulted international opinion and the intelligence of
      many citizens by withholding facts regarding Bradley Manning and
      WikiLeaks...

      "...If Bradley Manning released the documents attributed to him, we should
      express to him our gratitude for his efforts toward accountability in
      government, informed democracy and peace."

      Nobel Prize Winners Say

      Bradley Manning Deserves Americans' Support for Military Whistleblowing

      Thanks to WikiLeaks, US citizens are better informed about wars prosecuted
      in their name. We owe Manning honour, not jail time

      By Desmond Tutu, Mairead Corrigan-Maguire and Adolfo Pérez Esquivel

      November 16, 2012 "
      <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/16/bradley-manning-america
      ns-support?CMP=twt_gu> The Guardian" - - -- Last week, PFC Bradley Manning
      offered to accept responsibility for releasing classified documents as an
      act of conscience – not as charged by the US military. As people who have
      worked for decades against the increased militarization of societies and for
      international cooperation to end war, we have been deeply dismayed by his
      treatment. The military under the Obama administration has displayed a
      desire to over-prosecute whistleblowing with life-in-prison charges
      including espionage and "aiding the enemy", a disturbing decision which is
      no doubt intended to set an example.

      We have dedicated our lives to working for peace because we have seen many
      faces of armed conflict and violence, and we understand that no matter the
      cause of war, civilians always bear the brunt of the cost. With today's
      advanced military technology and the continued ability of business and
      political elites to filter what information is made public, there exists a
      great barrier to many citizens being fully aware of the realities and
      consequences of conflicts in which their country is engaged.

      Responsible governance requires fully informed citizens who can question
      their leadership. For those citizens worldwide who do not have direct,
      intimate knowledge of war, yet are still affected by rising international
      tensions and failing economies, WikiLeaks releases attributed to Bradley
      Manning have provided unparalleled access to important facts.

      Revealing covert crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan and corporations' pervasive
      influence in governance, this window into the realities of modern
      international relations has changed the world for the better. While some of
      these documents may demonstrate how much work lies ahead in terms of
      securing international peace and justice, they also highlight the potential
      of the internet as a forum for citizens to participate more directly in
      civic discussion and creative government accountability projects.

      Questioning authority, as a soldier, is not easy. But it can, at times, be
      honorable. Words attributed to Bradley Manning reveal that he went through a
      profound moral struggle between the time he enlisted and when he became a
      whistleblower. Through his experience in Iraq, witnessing suffering of
      innocent civilians and soldiers alike, he became disturbed by top-level
      policy that undervalued human life. Like other courageous whistleblowers, he
      was driven foremost by a desire to reveal the truth.

      PFC Bradley Manning said in chat logs attributed to him that he hoped the
      <http://firedoglake.com/merged-manning-lamo-chat-logs/> releases would bring
      "debates, discussions and reform", and condemned the ways in which the
      "first world exploits the third." Much of the world regards PFC Manning as a
      hero for these efforts toward peace and transparency, and he has been
      nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize
      <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/nobelpeaceprize> as a result. Much as when
      high-ranking officials in the United States
      <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/usa> and Britain misled the public in 2003
      by saying there was an imminent need to invade Iraq to stop them from using
      weapons of mass destruction, however, the world's most powerful elites have
      again insulted international opinion and the intelligence of many citizens
      by withholding facts regarding Bradley Manning and WikiLeaks.

      The military prosecution has not presented evidence that, by releasing
      secret documents, PFC Manning injured anyone, and they have asserted in
      court that the charge of "aiding the enemy through indirect means" does not
      require them to. Nor have they denied that his motivations were
      conscientious; they have simply argued they are irrelevant. In ignoring this
      context, and recommending a much more severe punishment for Bradley Manning
      than is given to US soldiers guilty of murdering civilians, military
      leadership is sending a chilling warning to other soldiers who would feel
      compelled by conscience to reveal misdeeds. It is our belief that leaders
      who use fear to govern, rather than sharing wisdom born from facts, cannot
      be just.

      We Nobel Peace Prize laureates condemn the persecution Bradley Manning has
      suffered, including imprisonment in conditions declared "cruel, inhuman and
      degrading" by the United Nations
      <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/unitednations> , and call upon US citizens
      to stand up in support of this whistleblower who defended their democratic
      rights. In the conflict in Iraq alone, more than 110,000 people have died
      since 2003, millions have been displaced, and nearly 4,500 American soldiers
      have been killed. If someone needs to be held accountable for endangering
      Americans and civilians, let's first take the time to examine the evidence
      regarding high-level crimes already committed, and what lessons can be
      learned.

      If Bradley Manning released the documents attributed to him, we should
      express to him our gratitude for his efforts toward accountability in
      government, informed democracy and peace.

      • For further information, visit the <http://www.bradleymanning.org/>
      Bradley Manning Support Network

      * * *

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/gilad-sharon-israel-gaza-op-ed_n_21
      55932.html

      Gilad Sharon, Son Of Former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, Writes
      Op-Ed: 'We Need To Flatten Entire Neighborhoods In Gaza', "The Americans
      didn’t stop with Hiroshima – the Japanese weren’t surrendering fast enough,
      so they hit Nagasaki, too."

      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/gilad-sharon-israel-gaza-op-ed_n_2
      155932.html?view=print&comm_ref=false>

      The Huffington Post | By <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-goldberg> Adam
      Goldberg <http://twitter.com/ajgoldberg>
      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/gilad-sharon-israel-gaza-op-ed_n_2
      155932.html#> Posted: 11/18/2012 6:57 pm EST Updated: 11/19/2012 "We need
      to flatten entire neighborhoods in Gaza. Flatten all of Gaza," states Sharon
      in The Jerusalem Post.

      The violence between Israel and Hamas this week
      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/israeli-air-strike-palestinians-ga
      za-killed_n_2154535.html> has reportedly claimed the lives of 81
      Palestinians, including 37 civilians, as well as 3 Israeli civilians.
      Current Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said that "the Israeli
      military is prepared to significantly expand the operation."

      Sharon writes in his op-ed,
      <http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdContributors/Article.aspx?ID=292466&R=R1&
      utm_> entitled "A decisive conclusion is necessary," that "the residents of
      Gaza are not innocent, they elected Hamas. The Gazans aren’t hostages; they
      chose this freely, and must live with the consequences." After saying that
      Israel needs to "flatten all of Gaza," he goes on to say, "The Americans
      didn’t stop with Hiroshima – the Japanese weren’t surrendering fast enough,
      so they hit Nagasaki, too."

      He concludes his defense of Israel's actions with a hawkish message:

      "There is no middle path here – either the Gazans and their infrastructure
      are made to pay the price, or we reoccupy the entire Gaza Strip. Otherwise
      there will be no decisive victory. And we’re running out of time – we must
      achieve victory quickly. The Netanyahu government is on a short
      international leash. Soon the pressure will start – and a million civilians
      can’t live under fire for long. This needs to end quickly – with a bang, not
      a whimper."

      A bio on the website for HarperCollins Publishers
      <http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/34867/Gilad_Sharon/index.aspx>
      describes Sharon as follows:

      Gilad Sharon is the youngest of former Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon’s
      sons. Gilad holds a master’s degree in economics and writes a column for the
      prominent Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth. A major in the Israel Defense
      Force reserves, he currently manages his family’s farm in Israel.

      Sharon isn't alone in his militant tone.
      <http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/General+News/145581/LIVE-BLOG-DAY-4%3A-
      Operation-Pillar-Of-Defense-%5BUPDATED-7%3A43PM-IL%5D.html> Israel's Deputy
      Prime Minister Eli Yishai is reported by The Yeshiva World News
      <http://huff.to/Xohwj4> to have said, "We must blow Gaza back to the Middle
      Ages, destroying all the infrastructure including roads and water." Haaretz
      also reports
      <http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/live-blog-idf-prepares-for-gr
      ound-invasion-as-gaza-offensive-enters-fourth-day-1.478505> that Yishai
      stated, "The goal of the operation is to send Gaza back to the Middle Ages."

      President Barack Obama
      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/obama-israel-gaza_n_2154008.html>
      said on Sunday that the United States is "fully supportive of Israel's right
      to defend itself."

      The violent conflict
      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/israeli-air-strike-palestinians-ga
      za-killed_n_2154535.html> continued on Sunday as Palestinian militants fired
      more than 100 rockets into Israel, and one of Israel's missile strikes
      killed at least 11 civilians.

      _____