An interfaith dialogue addressing civil rights violations against Muslims

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2012
      From: Pat & Jeff Warner [mailto:PatnJeff@...]
      Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:50 AM
      To: Ed Pearl
      Subject: Suggestion to post

      Ed

      Please post the below announcement for the Interfaith Discussion on
      Islamophobia scheduled for tomorrow

      best jeff

      Pat & Jeff Warner
      562-694-1637
      La Habra Heights, CA 90631

      TOMORROW, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 3 pm,

      CULVER-PALMS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH on Sepulveda near Culver Blvd.

      WHAT: ISLAMOPHOBIA; First in a Series

      An interfaith dialogue addressing civil rights violations
      against Muslims

      in our communities & across the nation.

      Speakers: Reverend James Lawson

      Rabbi Haim Beliak (by video link)

      Imam Muhammad Faqih

      Moderator: Estee Chandler

      WHEN: TOMORROW, SUNDAY, November 11, 3 PM

      WHERE: Culver-Palms United Methodist Church, 4464 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver
      City

      Off 405 at Culver, south on Sepulveda. Parking behind Church.

      ENTRY: $10; $5 students; no one turned away

      Refreshment will be served.

      INFORMATION: <mailto:info@...>
      info@... or <mailto:LosAngeles@...>
      LosAngeles@...

      FLYER: attached and at
      <http://www.lajewsforpeace.org/images/IslamophobiaFlyer.pdf>
      http://www.lajewsforpeace.org/images/IslamophobiaFlyer.pdf

      We are living in troubled times. Some our neighbors are being scapegoated
      and demonized by a nation-wide, loosely organized campaign of Islamophobia.
      This is just the most recent episode of in America of fear of "the other."

      This event brings together a panel of distinguished community leaders to
      examine cultural, theological, and political perspectives of Islamophobia.
      The speakers will deconstruct the most persistent myths about Islam and
      Muslims, and examine the role Islamophobia continues to play in justifying
      war abroad and political repression at home.

      In a way, this event will examine the very fabric of American society that
      Islamophobia threatens to destroy. This event will start to expose the
      demagoguery that promotes the irrational fear that is Islamophobia.

      Issues that will be discussed include:

      * What do we know about the political, spiritual and psychological
      keys that are played to elicit Islamophobia?

      * What is the damage to our constitutional freedoms and to the
      inclusive society we have strived for?

      * What kinds of social healing and cooperation are required in order
      to move forward?

      Speaker's Bios

      * Rabbi Haim Dov Beliak is the Executive Director of Beit Polska, the
      Progressive Jewish Community's umbrella organization in Poland. He served as
      chaplain and adjunct professor at The Claremont Colleges for 17 years. He is
      a co-founder of <http://jewsonfirst.org/> JewsOnFirst.org, a leading source
      on the "Christian Right" including their role in fanning Islamophobia in
      American Society.

      * Imam Muhammad Faqih holds a degree in Islamic Studies from the
      Institute of Islamic and Arabic Sciences in Fairfax, VA. He served as an
      Imam in Laurel, MD and in San Diego, CA. Currently, Imam Faqih is the
      resident Imam of the Islamic Institute of Orange County in Anaheim.

      * Reverend James Lawson is an architect of the American Civil Rights
      Movement, whom Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. called "the leading theorist and
      strategist of nonviolence in the world." He has been a leader and educator
      in peace & justice issues for over 50 years for innumerable organizations
      including ICUJP, CLUE, the ACLU, the NAACP, and the World Council of
      Churches.

      This talk is part of the Progressive Conversations on Israel/Palestine and
      US Foreign Policy in the Middle East, a monthly series presented by LA Jews
      for Peace, Friends of Sabeel-Los Angeles, and Jewish Voice for Peace-Los
      Angeles, in association with Levantine Cultural Center. The Islamophobia
      series is also sponsored by the Islamic Shura Council of Southern
      California, the United Methodists' Holy Land Task Force, the Interfaith
      Communities United for Justice & Peace, and the American Friends Service
      Committee. KPFK, 90.7 FM, is the media sponsor.

      Jeff Warner
      LA Jews for Peace
      <http://www.lajewsforpeace.org/> www.LAJewsforPeace.org

      _____