Today's LUV News: 7 November, 2012

  • scotpeden@cruzio.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2012
      And the Corporate party wins again!

      *SURPRISE: RULING FORCES OF GREED WIN!

      *
      **

      *In accepting the victory /LUV News/ predicted a year ago, based on how
      he served the wealthy and corporations in order to arrive at a billion
      dollars in campaign bribes <http://luvnews.info/Bribes.htm>, President
      Obama asked his followers to "sustain the hope." Ostensibly, one should
      hope the reality of his actions over the last four years somehow served
      social justice, peace, a clean environment and other progressive values
      rather than having served the interests of those who gave his campaign
      most of the money-- the banksters, defense cheats, polluters and their
      transnational investor and transnational corporate pals.

      Obama received nearly a hundred more votes in the electoral college than
      Romney (with Florida still out at this writing). Although we didn't
      expect that massive margin, it has been clear for months that Obama
      controlled the electoral college outcome, which is all that matters in
      our hopelessly corrupt election system. All the hype by our mass media,
      on behalf of the wealthy and corporations, in order to suppress the
      third party vote, has been to distract attention toward the popular
      vote, saying over and over that the election would be extremely close to
      frighten the masses into lesser evil voting. Most of the electorate
      have been convinced that either the Republicans or the Democrats are the
      lesser evil, which sustains a system in which the government does not
      represent the masses (if it represented the masses, it would be a
      republic, rather than a plutocratic oligarchy).

      Nutty birther Donald Trump said the election was a sham and called for
      revolution
      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/donald-trump-election-revolution_n_2085864.html>.
      We guess that this would be a movement under the banner of "billionaires
      unite-- you have nothing to lose but your chains." Those poor
      plutocrats, life is so hard when one is forced to purchase elections and
      media for control, restricting one from spending money on whatever one
      chooses, like a 400th yacht.*

      *ISRAELI INTERVENTION INTO SYRIAN CONFLICT

      *
      **

      *"Israeli Government threatens military intervention to Syria," screams
      a headline in Russian news
      <http://english.pravda.ru/world/asia/06-11-2012/122720-israel_war-0/>
      this morning. Armed insurgents being chased by Syrian military forces
      are fleeing into Israeli-occupied Syria (the Golan Heights) for
      protection. It would appear that Israel is one of many nations fueling
      the violence in Syria.
      *

      *Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon praised President Obama
      <http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/netanyahu-lauds-obama-victory-israel-u-s-ties-are-stronger-than-ever.premium-1.475832>
      on his victory, "President Obama, in his second round, will be an
      excellent president for Israel."
      *

      **

      **One of the more pathetic censorship activities of US mass media is
      making Palestinians invisible as they cover up human rights abuses and
      war crimes of the Israeli government going back 60 years. When
      Ex-President Jimmy Carter wrote /Palestine: Peace not Apartheid/, he
      was attacked across the mass media spectrum for pointing out a hard fact
      that has been swept under our massive carpet of censorship-- that
      Palestinians are treated like dirt by Israel's government on their own
      land, similar to the treatment of Native Americans-- herded off to
      reservations, with no guarantee that even that much will not be stolen
      from them in time. You will not read the following piece in the
      American mass media, because it contains entirely too much truth --Jack
      Balkwill
      **
      *Stripped of my clothes, my father, but not of my right to return
      <http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/11/201211310301870237.html>

      *

      *by Asma Jaber*

      *"Unbutton your pants," Sara, the stone-faced security agent at Israel's
      Ben Gurion airport, told me. I sobbed, choking on my words, "My dad was
      born in Nazareth."*

      *"Lift your shirt," she continued. *

      *"He's dying, and he can't return here," I mumbled. I thought of what my
      father looked like at that moment, bruised and broken from a drunk
      driver, unable to breathe on his own, and helpless in a hospital bed in
      South Carolina.*

      *As the daughter of Palestinian refugees, it was already a harrowing
      experience for me to make my way from my father's homeland, where I have
      been working, back to Travelers Rest, South Carolina, where he chose to
      raise us after he was forced from Nazareth by the creation of the state
      of Israel in 1948 and forced from Palestine altogether by the occupation
      of 1967. *

      *But my latest attempt to return to my father, carrying memories of his
      lost home with me, was a devastating lesson in the indignities of exile
      and the fragility of life.*

      *Shortly before my hastily scheduled flight, I was in Jerusalem, a mere
      nine miles from the area in which my father grew up in Palestine. I
      waited to hail a cab when a young Jewish couple close by engaged me in
      small talk. When the couple realised that we were all Americans
      travelling to the Old City, they offered me a ride in their cab, should
      they find one first.*

      *After discovering that I grew up in South Carolina, the husband
      remarked, "I didn't realise there were many Jewish folks in South
      Carolina."*

      *"There aren't many," I replied. "And I'm actually not Jewish."*

      *"I'm Palestinian."*

      *Suddenly, whatever we had in common no longer mattered. The man
      stopped, looked at his wife, and then motioned me to the left: "/Your
      /buses are over there." The couple got into a cab, and I stood there
      trying to comprehend what had just happened.*

      *The humiliation and hurt coursed through me. I was raised in the
      American South. Though too young to have lived through it, I studied its
      shameful past of Jim Crow segregation. And I studied its proud history
      of struggle - written by those courageous black and white activists who
      risked and lost their lives - to build a society based on equality for
      all. Perhaps this American couple didn't see the parallel - so stark to
      me - of refusing to share a cab with a Palestinian. *

      *Later that day, in what turned out to be one of my last conversations
      with my father, I recounted to him the cab incident in Jerusalem.
      Despite the heartbreaking story, he was proud of my determination to
      live in Palestine even with the anti-Palestinian racism I experienced.
      He supported the will that resides in me - and so many Palestinians - to
      return and fight for equal rights rather than endure the humiliation of
      being told to ride segregated buses.*

      *My life began to unravel in the next hours as the news of my parents'
      car accident reached me. After an unexpectedly sharp deterioration in my
      father's condition, I decided to fly home. At Ben Gurion Airport, I
      watched as airport security officials inspected the contents of my two
      suitcases one by one, rubbing an ersatz magic-wand over every
      Palestinian memento I purchased for my family. *

      *Three cohorts of travellers bypassed the intense scrutiny I was facing
      and proceeded to their simple check-in process. In fact, only one other
      traveller, also an Arab American, received the same treatment I did. As
      with the taxi, there was once again the preferred line and the separate
      and unequal Palestinian line. Segregation is enshrined as the norm here.*

      *This, of course, is a familiar scene to Americans of Palestinian
      descent who have attempted to visit their families' homes. And for
      Palestinians who remained in modern-day Israel or the lands it occupies
      in the West Bank and Gaza, scenes like the recent attempted "lynching"
      of a Palestinian boy
      <http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/suspect-involved-in-jerusalem-lynch-of-palestinian-let-him-die-he-s-an-arab-1.459490>
      by a mob of Jewish youth have become alarmingly common, recalling the
      Jim Crow American South.*

      *But my situation, I thought, was different. *

      *It was not. Nor was it different at Ben Gurion airport, where Sara
      insisted on strip-searching me.*

      *Just as I thought the humiliation had ended and I could make my way to
      the check-in counter, Sara intervened again.*

      *"I'll take you to the counter," she said, insisting that I would not be
      allowed to fly if she didn't escort me. *

      *I was furious. In the depths of my despair, I still craved an ounce of
      justice - even if that meant for her to simply admit that I was being
      profiled. But Sara was not my friend. She was in character and cold.*

      *We finally reached the gate just in time for boarding (I arrived at Ben
      Gurion four hours before my flight was scheduled to board), where my
      escort made sure that I - a "top-level security threat" who could barely
      see through my tears - did indeed board the plane. *

      *As I walked to the gate, searching for some sign - any sign - of her
      humanity, I told Sara that my father had stopped breathing on his own
      and was brain dead, all due to a drunk driver. *

      *"We are all humans," Sara said, impervious to the irony. *

      *All I want is to be treated like a human, I thought, this time to
      myself. I wanted, especially on that day, to stand in line with everyone
      else, just like I wanted to take the cab with the Jerusalem couple.*

      *While I have long known that Prime Minister Netanyahu's notion of a
      Jewish state is wrong, I have come to sincerely realise since my return
      to a transformed American South because too many Jewish couples from the
      United States emigrate to Greater Israel and promptly abandon the
      principles of equality that served them so well here. And too many other
      Jewish emigrants are content to recreate the discrimination they endured
      elsewhere now that they're on top. The way forward in Palestine and
      Israel is not an ethnocracy that favours Jews or a two-state solution
      that dispossesses millions of Palestinians, but one state with dignity
      and equality for all. *

      *This was done in Travelers Rest. It can be done, too, in the homeland
      my father and I share. The road ahead will be a hard one, but the
      two-state solution completely died for me in a Jerusalem taxi and Ben
      Gurion airport. We cannot simply be shunted into inferior lines and
      truncated Bantustans when we have a right to live as equals in all of
      our homeland.*

      *Back in South Carolina, my dad passed away three hours after my hands
      interlocked with his. His mind, his memories, and his extraordinary
      resilience, however, will never die. This August, while picking figs
      from the 30-year-old fig tree he planted in our backyard, it hit me: My
      father had painstakingly done everything in his power to reinvent
      Palestine in Travelers Rest - to plant the fig, olive, and plum trees he
      knew from his childhood and to adorn our fence with grape vines.*

      *In the trees and vines he planted, my father's spirit lives on. However
      tragic and humiliating, his experience and mine have redoubled my
      commitment to return to Palestine, to honour the more than
      three-quarters of our people who were exiled and expelled due to the
      establishment of the state of Israel, and to carry on my father's legacy
      - as well as /our /right to return.
      *

      *http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/11/201211310301870237.html
      *

      */*Asma Samir Jaber is a Palestinian American graduate student of Public
      Policy at Harvard University where she is a Harry S Truman Scholar.*/*

      to participate

      or join our Facebook group here:
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/461619557192964/
      *
      **
      *email: libertyuv@...*
      **
      *Tell your friends about /LUV News/ because some people just don't get it*