Two Grassroots Activists Run for the Los Angeles Community College Board

  • Donna Jo Warren
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dr. David Sanchez and Donna Warren, CGFM, Are Running for The Los Angeles
      Community College Board.

      Two grassroots activists, Dr. David Sanchez, the founder of the Chicano
      Moratorium Movement, and Donna Warren, a certified financial manager who
      recently garnered 300,000 votes as the Green Party candidate for Lt.
      Governor, are running for the Los Angeles Community College Board. When
      elected Ms. Warren will be the first African-American on the Board.

      Why is this significant?

      Because it represents the first time two people from the community and truly
      concerned about our communities, have thrown their hats into this very
      important race. Between them, Dr. Sanchez and Ms. Warren have over 50 years
      of grassroots community organizing.

      Why is this race important?

      Because Gray Davis is proposing to cut 10.3% from the community colleges'
      budget and because he is raising tuition from $11 per unit to $24 per unit.

      So what?

      Not only do our community colleges educate 75% of California's college
      students, they serve the most people and the most needy. The Community
      Colleges provide affordable classes, employ more than 70,000 Californians,
      and pump about $3 billion into the state economy each year. They prepare
      people for jobs and retrain displaced workers for new jobs during economic
      downturns. The governor's budget cuts will have a devastating effect on our
      communities.

      Why didn't the trustees protect the community colleges?

      Frankly, the trustees are to busy being part-time administrators. They have
      no clout in Sacramento, and macro manage contracts to friends and campaign
      contributors. They are not qualified to represent the diverse population of
      the community colleges. Therefore, Gray Davis is comfortable cutting the
      community colleges' budget eliminating poor students, while increasing the
      prison budget and building new prison death cells.

      As trustees, Dr. Sanchez and Ms. Warren can restore millions in budget cuts,
      implement job programs, training and placement for our communities; stop
      student drop-outs, increase funding per student, protect part-time teachers,
      and implement programs in grades K-12 to reduce remedial math and reading.

      Your vote and your support are critical.

      Please get involved!

      Your contributions may be sent to:

      Donna Warren for LACCB or to David Sanchez for LACCB

      2905 So. Vermont Ave., Ste. 203, Los Angeles, CA 90007

      We may be reached at (323) 766-0235 if you have any questions or comments,
      or want to volunteer for the campaign.

      Please be sure to vote on March 4, 2002 for Donna Warren, Seat 1 and David
      Sanchez, Seat 5

      Thank you!