Call to Graphic Artists: Stop ICE Expansion with Your Art!

  • Will Coley
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2010
      via Detention Watch Network: http://bit.ly/9mTvwA

      We urge all artists who want to challenge immigration enforcement and
      detention to take action and create an image. The images will be used
      as part of our online campaign DIGNITY NOT DETENTION
      http://detentionwatchnetwork.org (much like the excellent images
      created for the AltoArizona campaign
      http://www.altoarizona.com/artcampaign.html).

      Details:

         * Create an image that shows your support for our demands (below).
         * Make sure to include the title of the campaign in the work:
      “Dignity not Detention”
         * Send all submissions and questions to tech@...
         * Deadline: Ideally October 5, before our “Day of Action” on
      October 6 but we’re happy to accept art throughout the month.

      Specifications:

         * Image size must be 18×24 inches with a 1/2 inch border all the
      way around. We’d like these dimensions in case we want to publish the
      image in the future (with attribution of course).

      Our Campaign Demands:

      1. Put an end to human rights abuses in the immigration detention and
      deportation systems.
      2. Halt wasteful government spending on detention growth.
      3. Prevent the arbitrary detention of more than 300,000 people year
      and start using cost-saving alternatives.
      4. Restore due process to immigration laws and guarantee that every
      person has the right to a fair day in court.
      5. End expansion of local enforcement programs that are contributing
      to the growth of the detention system.

      We look forward to sharing your work on this blog and throughout our campaign!

      The Detention Watch Network (DWN), the national coalition of
      organizations and individuals working to educate the public and policy
      makers about the U.S. immigration detention and deportation system and
      advocate for humane reform so that all who come to our shores receive
      fair and humane treatment.

      We believe that by working together we can effect greater change in
      the immigration detention system. Our members and supporters include
      organizations providing services to those in immigration detention and
      their families, and organizations and individuals advocating on behalf
      of those in immigration detention. We are lawyers, activists, social
      workers, national advocates, students, community organizers, faith
      communities, former detainees, and affected families from around the
      country.