Government Impotence and Corporate Rule, Klegg demands end to Gaza blockade

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4 6:50 AM
      http://www.truthout.org/government-impotence-and-corporate-rule60049

      Government Impotence and Corporate Rule

      "Obama should personally take charge ---cancel all of his social and
      political events, convene an emergency response team of the best scientific
      minds in the world, announce a clear plan of clean-up actions, install all
      relevant Cabinet officials in a Gulf Coast command center to direct the
      actions, make daily reports on progress to the public, fire a mess of failed
      regulators and go to Congress with sweeping legislation to replace America's
      oil dependency with a crash program of conservation and renewable energy
      sources."

      by: Jim Hightower,
      t r u t h o u t |: 02 June 2010

      Many news reports about the Gulf oil catastrophe refer to it as a "spill."
      Wrong. A spill is a minor "oops" -- one accidentally spills milks, for
      example, and from childhood, we're taught the old aphorism: "Don't cry over
      spilt milk." What's in the Gulf isn't milk and it wasn't spilt. The
      explosion of BP's Deepwater Horizon well was the inevitable result of
      deliberate decisions made by avaricious corporate executives, laissez faire
      politicians and obsequious regulators.

      As the ruinous gulf oil blowout spreads onto land, over wildlife, across the
      ocean floor and into people's lives, it raises a fundamental question for
      all of us Americans: Who the hell's in charge here? What we're witnessing is
      not merely a human and environmental horror, but also an appalling
      deterioration in our nation's governance. Just as we saw in Wall Street's
      devastating economic disaster and in Massey Energy's murderous explosion
      inside its Upper Big Branch coal mine, the nastiness in the gulf is baring
      an ugly truth that We the People must finally face: We are living under de
      facto corporate rule that has rendered our government impotent.

      Thirty years of laissez-faire, ideological nonsense (pushed upon us with a
      vengeance in the past decade) has transformed government into a subsidiary
      of corporate power. Wall Street, Massey, BP and its partners -- all were
      allowed to become their own "regulators" and officially encouraged to put
      their short-term profit interests over the public interest.

      Let's not forget that on April 2, barely two weeks before Deepwater Horizon
      blew and 11 people perished on the spot, the public's No. 1 official, Barack
      Obama, trumpeted his support for more deepwater oil drilling, blithely
      regurgitating Big Oil's big lie: "Oil rigs today generally don't cause
      spills." He and his advisors had not bothered to check the truth of that --
      they simply took the industry's word. That's not governing, it's aiding and
      abetting profiteers, and it's a pathetic performance.

      But that was only the start of Washington's oily confession that it has
      surrendered control to corporate arrogance and avarice. With an
      unprecedented volume of crude gushing from the well and the magnitude of the
      disaster multiplying geometrically by the day, who was in charge of coping
      with that? Not the White House, not the interior secretary, not the EPA. As
      we saw when Wall Street's greed exploded our economy, the polluting
      scoundrels were left in charge!

      While BP's dapper CEO issued patently ridiculous statements (such as,
      "Everything we can see at the moment suggests that the overall environmental
      impact of this will be very, very modest."), our government blindly went
      along with BP's false assertion that only some 5,000 barrels a day were
      pouring from the well, when independent experts were shouting at the White
      House that the correct volume was up to 19 times that much.

      Finally, almost a month after the blowout, Obama ordered a moratorium on
      drilling new offshore wells and on granting environmental waivers to the oil
      giants. Bravo, Mr. President! But ... his moratorium was simply ignored.
      Days after his order, oil companies were handed at least seven more drilling
      permits and five waivers.

      Last week, with 63 percent of the public disapproving of his meek deference
      to BP, the president of the United States of America was reduced to
      convening a press conference to insist that he was "engaged" and, behind the
      scenes, was "monitoring" BP's efforts.

      Wow, monitoring! Excuse me, but who's the president here? Obama should
      personally take charge ---cancel all of his social and political events,
      convene an emergency response team of the best scientific minds in the
      world, announce a clear plan of clean-up actions, install all relevant
      Cabinet officials in a Gulf Coast command center to direct the actions, make
      daily reports on progress to the public, fire a mess of failed regulators
      and go to Congress with sweeping legislation to replace America's oil
      dependency with a crash program of conservation and renewable energy
      sources.

      Oh, he should also wring a few corporate necks. Instead of monitoring these
      criminals, prosecute them -- and put the public back in charge of our
      government.

      National radio commentator, writer, public speaker, and author of the book,
      Swim Against The Current: Even A Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow, Jim
      Hightower has spent three decades battling the Powers That Be on behalf of
      the Powers That Ought To Be - consumers, working families,
      environmentalists, small businesses, and just-plain-folks.

      Copyright 2010 Creators.com

      ***

      http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/uk-world-news/tm_headline=clegg-demands-end-to-gaza-blockade%26method=full%26objectid=26564574%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

      Clegg demands end to Gaza blockade

      icNewcastle 14:05, Jun 1 2010

      Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has called on Israel to lift its
      "unjustifiable and untenable" blockade of the Gaza Strip.

      Mr Clegg said that the storming by Israeli commandos of a ship carrying aid
      to the Palestinian territory underlined the need for the blockade to end.

      The United Nations Security Council called for a "prompt, impartial,
      credible and transparent" investigation into the raid, which left at least
      nine civilians dead and more than 30 people injured, including one Briton,
      according to the Foreign Office.

      Mr Clegg said the situation in Gaza had become a "humanitarian catastrophe".
      He said: "Whilst, of course, Israel has every right to defend itself and its
      citizens from any attack, it must now move towards lifting the blockade in
      Gaza as soon as possible."

      The Liberal Democrat leader's comments echoed earlier remarks by Foreign
      Secretary William Hague, who called on Israel on Monday to lift the blockade
      in line with UN Security Council resolutions.

      Downing Street said David Cameron had spoken by telephone to Israeli prime
      minister Benjamin Netanyahu to deplore the heavy loss of life and to urge
      him to ensure there was no repeat of Monday's events.

      For Labour, shadow foreign secretary David Miliband said the Israeli action
      was "self-defeating" and represented a further setback to the efforts to
      find a Middle East peace settlement. He said: "The particular circumstances
      of this case will have to be brought to the surface but the defence of a
      failed policy that is benefiting no one - not the people of Gaza, not the
      people of Israel either - I think is badly flawed. They have painted
      themselves into a corner they need to get out of."

      The storming of the ship - one of a flotilla of six vessels trying to take
      aid to Gaza in defiance of the Israeli blockade - drew worldwide
      condemnation.

      The Security Council statement was finally agreed after the United States -
      Israel's strongest ally - successfully watered down an earlier wording which
      called for the Israeli action to be condemned "in the strongest terms", but
      some of the harshest criticism came from Turkey, previously seen as Israel's
      main ally in the Muslim world. Many of the activists on the ships -
      including a number of the dead - were Turkish.

      Israel said its troops had been left with no choice after they came under
      attack from activists armed with knives and iron bars when they were dropped
      by helicopter on to one of the ships.

      RESEARCH AND INFORMATION NETWORK (RAIN)
      Director : Abie Dawjee
      P O Box 37670, Overport City, Durban, South Africa 4067.
      tel: 0027 31 2072276. fax: 0866893206.
      mobile: 082 352 352 6 e-mail : abie@...