Announcing the 2009 Anti-Racist Action Conference

  • Michael Novick
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2009
      ANNOUNCING THE 15TH ANNUAL ANTI-RACIST ACTION NETWORK CONFERENCE!

      OCTOBER 9TH-12TH, 2009 IN PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA

      During the weekend of October 9th-12th, the Anti-Racist Action Network

      will be holding its 15th annual conference in Pittsburgh, PA. We are

      inviting all members of Anti-Racist Action as well as all

      anti-fascists who agree with our 4 Points of Unity (see the end).

      The conference, taking place over 4 days, will include ARA's annual

      plenary, caucuses and discussion on current issues facing

      antifascists. Various workshops and several social events are also

      planned. Organizations will be tabling all weekend as well.

      Please note that only Network-affiliated chapters will be allowed to

      attend the private sessions of the plenary. All registered attendees

      may come to the public portions. If you are a part of a non-affiliated

      chapter or collective that wants to become affiliated with ARA-NET,

      please see the organizers as soon as you arrive. All friends of ARA

      are welcome and encouraged to participate in the rest of the weekend.

      We are envisioning this conference as a gathering of all dedicated

      anti-fascists -whether in Anti-Racist Action or not - and would like

      to see this year's conference include as many people and new ideas as

      possible. The ARA Network has had a very interesting year, with member

      collectives publishing multiple periodical publications, opening

      social centers, organizing demonstrations, and combatting
      local

      fascist groups. We hope that you will come and add to the momentum!

      If you are new to anti-fascism, please come and learn from our

      experience (and help us open our eyes to new possibilities);

      If you are a former member, please come and get back in touch with us;

      If you are an unaffiliated chapter - for whatever reason - come to the

      conference, meet other antifascists and take the opportunity to learn

      more about ARA-NET and what benefits there are

      to being a part of the Network.

      Over the next few weeks, we will be confirming the details of the

      conference and will send out a registration form and more specific

      details. For now, please mark the date on your calendar and plan to

      join us in Pittsburgh for our annual conference!

      Hope to see YOU there!

      In solidarity,

      The Anti-Racist Action Conference Planners

      <mailto:araconference09@...>araconference09@...

      ANTI-RACIST ACTION NETWORK'S 4 POINTS OF UNITY:

      1. We go where they go: Whenever fascists are organizing or active

      in public, we're there. We don't believe in ignoring them or staying

      away from them. Never let the nazis have the street!

      2. We don't rely on the cops or courts to do our work for us: This

      doesn't mean we never go to court. But we must rely on ourselves to

      protect ourselves and stop the fascists.

      3. Non-Sectarian defense of other Anti-Fascists: In ARA, we have

      lots of diff
      erent groups and individuals. We don't agree about

      everything and we have a right to differ openly. But in this movement

      an attack on one is an attack on us all. We stand behind each other.

      4. We support abortion rights and reproductive freedom. ARA intends

      to do the hard work necessary to build a broad, strong movement

      against racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, discrimination

      against the disabled, the oldest, the youngest and the most oppressed

      people. We want a classless free society. WE INTEND TO WIN!