[LAAMN-ANN] Japanese-American Monument Controversy

  • Eve Oishi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      Some of you might already be aware of the controversy
      surrounding the Memorial to Japanese American Patriotism
      during WWII that is scheduled to open in Washington D.C.
      this fall. Many of us in the Japanese American community are
      extremely concerned that only one voice and one perspective
      on our history is being represented, namely the voices of
      conservatives like Mike Masaoka who publicly supported the
      internment camps, and urged Japanese Americans to willingly
      enter the camps and the military. While we are trying to
      remove the most inaccurate and offensive statement from the
      monument, we are also fighting to include recognitions of
      those who (to quote from the website JAvoice.com) "were
      without support during the camp years -- the resisters, the
      objectors, the "no-no's," the strikers, and those who fought
      against the camps in the courts. They are all a part of our
      history, our community, and our legacy. Our history is more
      than the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the 100th Infantry
      Battalion, the Military Intelligence Service and the camps.
      The best evidence of our patriotism has been the cumulative
      struggle of thousands of women and men to make a life in the
      United States despite the challenges and difficulties
      presented to us, and our contributions to the growth and
      prosperity of all the people of this country."

      Please take a minute to go to the website JAvoice.com to
      learn about the issue and sign the petition. Every voice
      counts.

      Peace,

      Eve Oishi